The Good Morning Thread

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Diane Lane, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Good Morning all...

It's raining today breaking the heat of the last few weeks.. and brining a little cooler weather although not much because we still have high humidity...

At the beginning of this week we visited a privately owned Vintage air museum which also houses all sorts of other vintage vehicles..

I've just finished putting all the pictures on for everyone who may be interested.. you'll find them in the Pictures thread..on this link...

https://www.seniorsonly.club/thread...er-vehicles-pics-i-took-a-few-days-ago.13444/

Have a super weekend folks whatever your plans are... :D

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Raining here too @Holly Saunders and it may continue. We shampooed carpets instead of doing fun stuff, though. Son #3 and his pregnant wife arrive on Sunday for just a week, so there are things to get ready. We then fly south for a week. The gardens and greenhouses must be up to snuff for the housesitter so she doesn't have to do much while we are gone.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Registered

Enjoy the company of your son and D-I-L Don... and when you say South from Alaska, where are you going ..? is it somewhere hot? :D

Still raining here BTW...

4. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Not hot, @Holly Saunders, just the Seattle area where our two daughters and families live. We are still planning to go further south into Nebraska , Louisiana, and perhaps Georgia in early December. The gardens will be put to bed by then and we are expecting yet another grandchild in that time frame. My wife has never been to Louisiana; it will be her 50th state she has visited, so she wants to complete the set. We have friends in Georgia (and North Carolina) from when we lived there in the past, so we will visit them as well if we have the time. We ahve to be back in Alaska for Christmas, of course.

Yvonne Smith and Holly Saunders like this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Registered

Sounds like a wonderful time for you both.!! Wow! Alll 50 states for your wife huh?...she should come to the UK with you... it would probably be cheaper flights than some states :D

6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I was planning a trip to the UK for this year, but it got nixed by her. She couldn't/wouldn't explain why. She really wants to visit Ireland and England to follow her family roots. Mine are in Scotland and Germany. The cheapest flights from here that I know of are on Condor to Frankfurt, then other airlines to London and Dublin. I don't know what the Brexit will do to all that. Wait and see....

7. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Holly Saunders Are your beaches always that crowded or is it only because the heat wave?

8. Holly Saunders

Registered

In a word ''No''... but they do get busy on any hot days throughout the year..Winter at the beaches even here in the south , the hottest part of the UK are not the the loveliest places to be in winter due to the often harsh north winds.. that said, I choose to go to the beaches in the autumn after the schools go back after summer term, they're at their quietest mid-week as well, and on a sunny day they're gloriously beautiful !!

Bess Barber likes this.
  9. Holly Saunders

Registered

if you ever do come, and you can just visit 2 places, choose Scotland & Ireland, it's an easy and cheap commute between the 2 countries by boat or plane... and the the Irish and Scots are the same people..they understand each other like no 2 other nations do..England is a very different kettle of fish to either of those...

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I used to go to New Jersey beaches in the winter. The beaches are beautiful when no one is on them, and the winter weather there is not bad, just a little windy. Here, people go to the lake beaches when the weather hits 55 F. In the bush the children went swimming at those temps with a water temperature in the 40s. Adults were not so foolish, but we watched for hypothermia and kept a fire going for warming purposes.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Goodnight and good morning. Why is goodnight one word, while good morning is two? I went to bed about 2:00 or 2:30 but, after lying there for an hour or an hour and a half, I decided I was wasting my time, so I got up and here I am again. Probably, in another hour or so I'll get very tired and go back to bed again. Or perhaps I'll take a nap sometime in the afternoon. It's my fault. I went to bed at about 4:30 or so yesterday so my system is confused.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't believe good night is one word, but what do I know? :D I find as I get older, sleeping is a crap shoot at best. :D

Holly Saunders and Bess Barber like this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My spellchecker flags it when I write it as two words and autocorrects to one.

Bess Barber and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

download (62).jpeg

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, this clears it up. :rolleyes: Now I need to go post on Gloria's "what I learned today" thread.

There are conflicting views about the subject, but one thought is that saying “goodnight” is a way to send someone off to bed. When spelled as one word, “goodnight” is a standard salutation that sends someone off in a pleasant manner.

Good night” is a phrase with two separate parts. The first, “good”, is an adjective. It modifies the noun and subject of the sentence, which is “night”. You can use it in a sentence, i.e., “It was a good night”, or you can say it while departing after spending an evening with someone. In this case, “Good night” would be short for “Have a good night.”

So if you tell someone good night or goodnight, they'll have to figure out exactly what you meant by that. Heehee

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019