The Good Morning Thread

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Diane Lane, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Christmas Day today for those in Orthodox and Coptic parts...

Meanwhile, here in the frozen north, it feels like a proper winter's day for the first time. Frost on the ground this morning, but clear and bright with a merciful absence of wind.

2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

At 6am we'un's here on Iowa's east bank have 39 degrees under threat of rain. There is some very cold weather about to put Iowa in the deep freeze soon. It's about time for some Iowa weather.
    Got some bad news last night. Expect more any day now. Death in the family type news.
    So, be careful out there. And behave, else carry a big stick.:D

3. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Hope your consultant has better news than you both fear Holly, you need to look after yourself first where work is concerned, exploring all options I guess.

Two good things about where we are in Bracknell for Lisa and myself, are its proximity to a rail station literally 100 yards away with a half hourly service to London and Heathrow airport which is only 13 miles away and a 20 minute drive which is very handy for our vacations.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  4. Terry Page

Registered

Its completely different here this morning Tom, sunny and springlike at 8c with lots of daffodils by the roadside already in bud, a tad early really. We have just been for our daily walk, an hour today as its such good weather.

Tom Locke likes this.
  5. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

A man with a van has just delivered a case of beer to our door, straight from the excellent St Peter's Brewery in Suffolk. We are considering buying thimbles from which to drink it, as today's news is telling us that drinking more than one pint in a day constitutes binge drinking. While I can see that hammering your liver into oblivion is not necessarily a great idea, the concept of sipping delicately at a single pint over the course of an entire Friday or Saturday evening strikes one as a little too cautious.

6. Terry Page

Registered

It's all statistics again Tom, which can be given spin to suit whatever you want to prove. We all know alcohol is basically bad for us as are a lot of foodstuffs and let's face it, life itself is terminal.
    I don't know what news source you heard it on but the Radio 4 interviewer kept asking about the risks attached to driving, which are much higher than any foodstuffs, the minister avoided answering that one.
    Evidently you are more likely to die falling off a step ladder at home than most things in life, so maybe banning step ladders will be next. :rolleyes:

Falling is the second leading cause of accidental death worldwide and is a major cause of personal injury, especially for the elderly. In 2013 unintentional falls resulted in 556,000 deaths up from 341,000 deaths in 1990

7. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm reminded of an article that I wrote many years ago for a satirical magazine. At the time, I lived in Oxford, where lots of people ride bikes. I undertook a survey of bike users, speaking to ten of them and finding that three had suffered accidents while riding to or from work. However, none had ever had an accident while riding a panther. My conclusion was that it was demonstrably safer to ride a panther to work than a bike.

8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Good morning, everyone. My days are all pretty much the same so I don't have much to say. I'll just stop by to say good morning.

Unless Ike wins the lottery and decides to be nice and share it with me. Then I'll tell y'all about all my world wide adventures. :D

9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Good morning everyone, my days are like yours Shirley. Ike bought a lotto ticket? Better go "like" all his posts. :)

I should buy one too and will if I go out.

@Holly Saunders , hope the consultation goes well and you don't have to deal with anything too bad. If I were you and financially could quit or cut back working, I would. Your work days sound so stressful and tiring!

Have a great friday! :)

10. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I just checked the time in London, and found it to be six hours ahead of my time in Texas. So It's going on 11:am here, and 5pm where @Holly Saunders is. So hopefully Holly will be able to us how she is soon.

Holly, you have said you sometimes you work from home. Is there anyway your job could allow you to work from home until your spine has healed.

I too worked past the time I should have, I was always trying to get us a little further ahead, so we could retire comfortably. The problem now is that I pushed myself so hard, that I can't really enjoy much that has a physical aspect to it.

I found that stubbornness can get you through much, but it can have a heavy price.

Holly Saunders and Ruby Begonia like this.
  11. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

So, it's 11:30am here on the east edge of Iowa. What have I accomplished so far? Well, I took out the trash bag and watched a movie called "Niagara" with Marilyn Monroe. Never have seen the whole movie, until this morning. A classic.
    Last time I looked out it was wet and misty. Thought I might make a store run since the temp is 40 degrees and no wind. But, I don't think I will.
    Did I ever tell you about the time I drove to the next town west of here, after dark, through a fog so thick I had to stop several times and scoop it off the windshield?
    OK, I'm exaggerating a bit. But, it was after dark and extremely foggy that night. I had to drive slow and look for the centerlines on the asphalt.
    Why was I out on the road on that kind of night? Glad you asked.
    That evening's newspaper had a for sale ad for a Winchester Model 94 .30/30 deer rifle, like the one pictured below. I called and the owner said he only wanted $50. Said he only shot it about 5-6 times. I had to have it. That was in about 1962.
    Wifey went along. Later she said I best not EVER make any excuses for not taking her to visit her kin. Women!

702839_01_winchester_94_30_30_640.jpg

12. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Good morning, All! It's actually just after noon, but I still need more coffee. I have a fat happy kitty on my lap, and don't want to disturb him, so I'm putting off getting up for more coffee. This squirrel stopped by for a visit yesterday. I also had a male cardinal and a yellow rumped warbler in the yard. It's been a foggy morning, and a smoky one, as well, because my neighbors are barbecuing. I'm heading to the store in a bit to pick up a few groceries. The only road out of here is a windy 2 lane road with deep ditches on either side, so I tend to avoid driving in the fog. Hope everyone stays warm and has a great day! squirrel tail in motion small.JPG

13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

14. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I just bought 2 tickets, maybe you can find an I like Chrissy sign, lol.

15. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Good Luck Chrissy! ....

Like you Diane, I'm entertained by squirrels in my yard daily, but my two dogs can't chase them away fast enough.
    Have cardinals and bluejays at the feeder daily too... so pretty. And the hummingbirds come around on occasion.

Diane Lane likes this.