The Giver

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Diane Lane, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

This is a movie from 2014. I've been wanting to see it since I first heard about it, and finally watched it last night. It's on Showtime On Demand, and I wanted to see it while I still had cable. I think these are the last few days it'll be available On Demand, so if you want to see it and have Showtime, now's probably the time.

Here's a little information about the movie: In a seemingly perfect community, without war, pain, suffering, differences or choice, a young boy is chosen to learn from an elderly man about the true pain and pleasure of the "real" world.

And, here's a link to the official movie trailer on YouTube:

Terry Page likes this.
  2. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Looks interesting what did you think of it Diane?

3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I liked it. I gave it a 4. As I watched it, I thought of how many people in the world go through life numbing themselves with drugs, alcohol, etc., in an attempt to stave off feeling anything, and how dull life would be without emotions. I like that they depicted the lack of emotions by filming the first part in black/white/gray, then colorized it as his emotions began creeping in. The beginning was similar to Divergent, but I don't think it was a copy of Divergent, because I doubt so many famous actors would be in a copycat film. I think the two probably were developed around the same time, but for some reason Divergent took off more than this one. I really enjoyed how the story unfolded.

Terry Page likes this.
  4. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks Diane I will look out for it, I like the cast and reading the reviews they vary from excellent to a poor interpretation of the book, I feel it's always a mistake to see a movie after reading a book that you really treasure, as it rarely lives up to it.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I read the book, think its a trilogy if I remember right. Grandson had to read it for school a few years ago and that's when I read it. Enjoyed the book.

Terry Page likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Although written for teens or young adults, The Giver series is an excellent book series by Lois Lowry. As most readers can appreciate, the book is much better than the movie, but I liked the movie as well. I don't know if they plan on making movies out of the other books in the series, but they are worth reading as well.
    • The Giver
    • Gathering Blue
    • Messenger
    • Son

Terry Page likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, the only one I didn't read was "Son".

Ken Anderson likes this.