The Girl Who Was Arrested For Not Doing Her Homework

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Dwight Ward, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

https://www.propublica.org/article/...ampaign=majorinvestigations&utm_content=river

Here's the entire text of an email I sent to the writer of this piece.Subject - "I disagree".

Although I generally agree with much or most of what propublica reports, in this case I have to differ. Specifically, Grace was not arrested for not doing her homework - she was arrested for violating her terms of probation. If that condition should not have been part of her probation relief that is irrelevant. If she is disabled and unable to do her homework, that is irrelevant, also. The unspoken implication that this happened to her because she was black is not at all apparent from the bare facts of the case.

That the judge states that she is 'flowering' in her incarcerated environment is questionable, Likewise, the mother's desire to have her home isn't an important factor. Grace's violence and thievery are the issues and these issues need to be dealt with in a child so young before they become permanent parts of her persona.

Thanks for listening to my opinions.

Dwight Ward

Thoughts, anyone?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I think that Grace if best off where she is. She and her mother have a violent history. She doesn't need to go back to that.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yeah, I read that article too. The headline told one story while the article itself told another. I see that a lot, particularly from the mainstream media. Realizing that most people are only going to read the headline and the blurb that appears with the Facebook link, they often put a lot of their propaganda into the headline and blurb, while those who actually read the article become aware that these were not accurate representations of the story.

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

The thought that came to me when I read the headline "There's more to it than that." I didn't even read the article. It's just a way to suck you in to boost their numbers.

5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

“click bait”

6. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

Grace was just released. The judge wouldn't do it but The Michigan Court of Appeals ordered her to be set free.

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

aka "Normalizing lying"

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.