The Games You Play

Discussion in 'Games & Riddles' started by Sandy Wood, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Sandy Wood

Sandy Wood Veteran Member
    Registered

When I was young board and card games were in. We sat together as a family at the table and used the games for family fun time. Jigsaw puzzles were also a pastime for during the winter months. I still do those, but now the rage is games on line. Instead of shuffling cards by hand the computer does it all for us. Same as fast action games or real to life games computer magic at it's best.

So my question is what games do you like to play, alone or with friends?

My favorites are regular old-fashioned jigsaw puzzles on my card table and a few computer games. I tend to go to Facebook to play the Candy Crunch Saga and Candy Crunch Soda and Buggle. There are a few other ones I have tried playing but instead of just the game they add in things like building farms or villages and of course with lack of instructions I get lost in trying to figure them out.

And as for the true to life games I don't care for the violent ones. In fact I often wish they would not make games showing people getting killed all for the sake of fun.

What say you on this subject?

2. Paul Sparky

Paul Sparky Supreme Member
    Registered

Well Sandy, as a youngster I always liked Snakes and Ladders, although I always came across more snakes that ladders.
    I think that game was perhaps the forerunner to most board games, basically, win a bit lose a bit.
    I was never a fan of Monopoly, it just went on and on,.. usually well past my bedtime. :D

But games should be 'games', not an excuse for antisocial behaviour. :eek:

Bonnie Thomas likes this.
  3. Louise Williams

Louise Williams Supreme Member
    Registered

Hi Sandy..

Yes , the games they make now aday can be very violent,., and should not be allowed , in my opinion,anyway..

When I was young. (many, many years ago. we played Pick up sticks. Dominoes , Old Maid and Rummy with playing cards, Ball and Jacks, a lot of board games but yet none were ever boring games. :D..... Sparky , we use to continue the Monopoly game the next day if it was getting late..:)

Even now, I still play games ..here and on the website, Origon.dk.. it was hard to navigate at first but there are tons of any kind of games you like there,, for the young and the old..lol. ..I like Word games , Card games ,Hidden games and Mahjong games the best..

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    Paul Sparky likes this.
  4. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

I enjoy the games we play right here on the computer. .. and also Brain Games website.
    I get to play many kiddie games on weekends- card games like Phase 10, Sleeping Queens, and then Bologna, Spot It, Battle Ship and Pixy Cubes.. have several board games around, too many to mention.

Paul Sparky likes this.
  5. Paul Sparky

Registered

I didn't mind Trivial Pursuit, but I'm sure the other players had already memorised the answers. :eek:
    @Louise Williams There would have been no point in me continuing that monopoly game, I was usually broke and spent a lot of time in jail. :rolleyes:

Louise Williams likes this.
  6. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

We played most of the games already mentioned ,monopoly was one we played for hours .and hours .I grew up in a fairly isolated city, in New South Wales ( Aust) the closet city was Adelaide, South Aust , 500km away as a result I didn't see TV until my mid 20's so card and other games were our only entertainment ...I totally agree about games I call shoot em dead games ...don't like them at all ...I was a really strict when my 5 children were young I wouldn't even allow them to watch Sesame Street if I thought it was a "little" violent :p

Paul Sparky likes this.
  7. Paul Sparky

Registered

Yes, that Oscar the Grouch could be a real troublemaker.. :eek::D

Kate Ellery likes this.
  8. Sandy Wood

Registered

As I am working at cleaning out my house I came across more games. Some I remember playing and others may be someone here has played, like Across the Continent or Game of The States, McHale's Navy Game or Spare Time Bowling, and Qubic.

My parents always bought educational games that taught you something. One was The United States Geography Stamp Book. It came with a bunch of stamps of each state. So we would find the state and read all about it and then stick the stamp on the square at bottom of page.
    Of course we collected regular postage stamps too for fun but some of the old fashioned games were lots of fun too. Now I am hard pressed to find anyone willing to play a old board game with me.

9. Louise Williams

Registered

Sandy , I still have an original Scrabble game, and one day in church (before I moved out of state) out of the blue this little old lady asked me if I played scrabble. have no idea how she knew I loved to play scrabble and had one of the original games. of course I jumped at the chance to play. We played about 3 days a week at her home.,and sometimes I would pick her up and bring her to my home to play too.,And she had one of the newer games too.. she was a barrel of fun , we had a great time aways..lol and I still keep in touch with her ,,she still plays some but not enough! she told me,,lol she will be 94 this year. ..
    old people are a joy to play games with, maybe try an old folks home there may be someone there who is just waiting for you to show up! :)

10. Sandy Wood

Registered

What a wonderful idea. I joined the Senior Center in town, but they only do jigsaw puzzles and Bingo. I hope to get involved a little bit more but I need to find a part time job first. Maybe I could get paid to play board games. lol Scrabble is one of my favorites too.

11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Billionaire a very old board game

12. Kate Ellery

Registered

Our daily newspaper runs promotions from time to time to boost sales...due to the ease of reading items on line now days, So I decided I would get the paper each day and get these mini games for $3 each IMG_1929.JPG

13. Louise Williams

Registered

Kate that is so neat. and guess what ? I have that same table cloth that you have, there,, !! , how about that , huh??

14. Kate Ellery

Registered

Oh have you :DI always have one on the dinning table ...that we only use when we have visitors :D:p

15. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Mouse Trap