The First Religion Of Record?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Kalvin Mitnic, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Understand I am not out to change minds regarding religion or the bible or imply anything bad about anyone's belief. Sometime we write to learn what we ourselves know or think about a subject or to stimulate conversation or merely because we know nothing at all.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  2. Bill Boggs

Registered

This is Sunday morning and often I put on an album to play through out the house or with breakfast. My favorite music is religious music. I favor what is referred to as Gospel music, sung by gospel quartets, many of which I have met, especially the older ones, such as The Blackwood Brothers, The Statesmen Quartet, J.D. Sumner, and a number of other quartets that used to come to one of the churches to sing for whatever offering was taken up or to sing occasionally on one of our radio stations. But one of my favorite albums is called Gospel Praise by featuring Trumpeter B.J. Hooten and Clarinetist Bob Snyder. My son was working at a music studio in OKC and went to see these guys perform years ago and was fortunate enough to have a chat with them, then go out and eat with them after the performance was over. They gave him the album. He didn't like it and gave it to me. It its one of my favorites. I'm playing it now. And of course, the Gaither's who in a manner revived Gospel Music or put new energy into it or increased its popularity. I like those Homecoming Sessions.

I have a lung disease and as its seriousness increased and my lung capacity diminished, I picked up the harmonica and learned to play it. Being older when this occurred, and with a diminished memory, the only songs I could remember were those old religious songs I grew up with. I could play those. Since I've gotten better on the harmonica I can play many country songs, rock, pop, and I play along with some of the jazz tunes but my first love is Gospel. I am as I believe most of us are, made up of both good and evil, perhaps some more than others, and maybe some who don't realize this.

P.S. I watched a Ted Talk that seems to analysis the why of this: The Biology of the Best and Worst of Us.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  3. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

4. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs , don't forget Elvis' gospel music. He really felt it when he sang. My late mother's very favorite...and one of mine.

@Kalvin Mitnic , regarding the saber-tooth that "it" created (known to some as God)..."it" isn't responsible for the evil action chosen by the saber-tooth to "chase you up the tree". That would be the tempting handiwork of the evil one. Don't forget about the evil "it" (known to some as satan)

Ina I. Wonder and Bill Boggs like this.
  5. Bill Boggs

Registered

I was an Elvis fan. Went to see him one time in Dallas in my younger years. Have 'He Touched Me, The Gospel Music Of Elvis Presley," volumes one and two.

6. Kalvin Mitnic

Kalvin Mitnic Well-Known Member
    Registered

So why do I hear bible references to 'all gods creatures. Surely the sabre tooth was doing what 'it' determined the cat should do.:p
    Genesis 1:26
    Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."

Bill Boggs and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  7. Kalvin Mitnic

Registered

@Bill Boggs Good on yee lad. What we do to continue an existence on this earth is commendable rather than sinkink inta pity and resignation. Puff on that 'monica' till ye canna blow out a candle and then toot yer own flute.

Bill Boggs and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  8. Kalvin Mitnic

Registered

I like this one and the film it played
    I went down to the river to pray

Bill Boggs likes this.
  9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

@Kalvin Mitnic , regarding the saber-tooth that "it" created (known to some as God)..."it" isn't responsible for the evil action chosen by the saber-tooth to "chase you up the tree". That would be the tempting handiwork of the evil one. Don't forget about the evil "it" (known to some as satan)[/QUOTE]

The action of the tiger chasing a human for food is not an "evil act". Satan has nothing to do with it. It is a simple act of nature. Every creature on this Earth must kill another creature in order to survive. God made them that way. Except cattle.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  10. Bill Boggs

Registered

Have watched this myself. Ms AK is a versatile performer and does some good stuff both religious and otherwise. Also involved with a good band, don't you know?

11. Bill Boggs

Registered

Begging your pardon, no that's wrong, excusa the interruption here, but him or some of his friends should have swatted the two of them mosquitos and them two flies, don't you think?

Ina I. Wonder and Shirley Martin like this.
  12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Ina I. Wonder and Bill Boggs like this.
  13. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, I thought of including that exception too when in the context of food. However, in the context that Kalvin was posting, he only mentioned it as an aggressive action of the animal so I responded to the aggression, not to hunt for food.

Animals lash out in anger sometimes too, just like humans, especially when you're in their space or think you want them to share their food. They can be selfish and mean, I know, I had a cat like that for 23 years o_O

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  14. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

Fear and self preservation can make an animal lash out and who can blame them, the way they've been treated

15. Kalvin Mitnic

Registered

Blame Noah, he had opportunity and blew it. He could have selected with reasonable parameters, like, :rolleyes::cool:' mosquitoes that only bite flies.