The Education System Is Making Kids Stupid

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Martin Alonzo, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That’s weird. I wonder if links I’m posting don’t show up for some reason. Here’s a screen shot of the post I just made with the links showing up in blue text.
    225C6A0D-BFD0-47D4-9938-EBF092D43D25.jpeg

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  2. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Good morning to all- Thomas- thank you. I will try to look those up. Ed

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Your links show up fine, Thomas.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

There is a huge bru-ha-ha going on in Houston because the State is taking over the Houston ISD. I haven't paid much attention because I don't really know what that means for the school district, plus we don't have school-age children anymore. Apparently the Houston schools (a couple in particular) have repeated under-performing students and some financial mismanagement. https://www.texastribune.org/2023/03/16/tea-hisd-takeover-texas-houston-schools/

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I was just reading some articles about the TEA takeover of Houston ISD. Here are some teacher's comments; perhaps this shines a light on the reasoning behind this takeover. :rolleyes:o_O

“The board of managers is going to be a bunch of puppets,” McGee said. “Our school district ain’t perfect, but I doubt the state of Texas gonna do any better.”

Arnetta Murray, a Houston ISD teacher, said the TEA has not listened to the community about more pressing concerns. If they did, they would know the district has a bus driver shortage and teachers are stressed over standardized testing.

“I don’t care about no board of managers,” she said. “I care about our students and I care about the teachers.”

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am generally in favor of local control of schools, but children in underperforming schools deserve better. I don't have a problem with the state stepping in to take corrective action when indicated, although the goal should be to return the school back to local control, whether that means a new school board, a new administration, or something else.

7. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I think it is all according to what you're looking for and why.
    Most people today want to be entertained more so than educated.

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Game show rerun:

Q: Name a state that might fall into the ocean
    A: Michigan

9. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Looks like another university graduate if they would have asked about alterative sexes it would be an hour long talk

John Brunner likes this.
  10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Michigan identifies as coastal.

11. Martin Alonzo

Registered

12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

As if there isn’t enough stupid things being taught to the kids, here’s a brand new twist.
    It is now an act of white supremacy to want to be “thin” as opposed to being overweight.
    In my wildest thoughts, I just couldn’t possibly make this sort of idiocy up.
    Notably, I do not know if the book will be found in school libraries to further help the educational system dumb down the kids but it’s a possibility.

Copy/Paste
    A guest on NPR's show Fresh Air promoted the idea that the desire to be thin stems from white supremacy while discussing how parents should communicate weight with their children.

Journalist Virginia Sole-Smith appeared on the show on Tuesday to discuss her new book Fat Talk: Parenting in the Age of Diet Culture which includes the theory that fat phobia can be traced back to the end of slavery in the US.

Her argument is that when slavery was abolished and African Americans started gaining rights, white supremacists sought to maintain old inequalities by demonizing black bodies and glamorizing thinness.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
  13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Welllll, that should sell her a lot of books.
    I always thought that a nice body would ensure the species a future. Not an emaciated thin body, but a nice healthy slightly athletic body is sexually attractive; it can parent and care for progeny, ensuring future generations. Fortunately for most of us, we have evolved to realize that the intellect is important a well so we can look past just the physical. But look we do.;)
    There are many obese white people. Look at pix from Walmart. And other races are catching up. We have some pudgy Hmongs up here.
    I am pretty sure that the freed slaves did not come close to what we see as obesity today. We used to think that Alfred Hitchcock and Jackie Gleason were fat. Go look at them and then go downtown.
    Sadly, girls had poor body images if they didn't look like a Barbie doll and boys like the ad on the back of the comic books. But we seldom thought of it as white supremacy.
    I guess that is why my books don't sell.:rolleyes:

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Martin Alonzo

Registered

15. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Lake Michigan looks and behaves like an ocean. However, that does not make it an ocean.