The Easiness Of Today

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that this is mainly what happens here, too, @Patsy Faye . When we go to the fitness center, we rarely see teenagers (or younger) kids there, and the ones who were brought in by their parents or grandparents, only work out when the parent is standing right over them, and otherwise, they are playing games on their phones.
    When I was growing up, we played outside after school, swam and played all summer, and were mostly pretty active. There were still overweight people; but I do think that we have a larger percentage of obese people today than we did back then.
    When you look at the old news clips from the 1940's, and even into the 1950's, most of the people you see appear to be in decent physical shape.
    If you filmed the same things now, I think it would show more overweight people; but I do not necessarily think that this is all because of the mobile phones and games.
    We live in a society that has forgotten how to cook, and many of them have never seen a farm or ranch or know how an animal changes from a living creature, to a styrofoam box of microwaveable TV dinner.
    We purchase ready made meals, often having them delivered to us, so we don't even have to go and get the food at the store, let alone cook it.
    Our food is contaminated with chemicals and preservatives, not to mention overloaded with sugar and corn syrup.
    It is not healthy nourishing food, and it is addictive food; so it is not any surprise that so many people overeat and become fat and unhealthy.
    I do not think that spending all of their time around an X-box (or whatever) gaming system is good for children or adults, but I do not think that removing these would stop the problem, either.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    Patsy Faye likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My grandsons are glued to their devices also but not all day. The little ones in Illinois have karate 3 Times a week and those workouts alone made me tired just watching them. Then they have the different sports they're involved with during the year. They also ride bikes when the weather is good.

The oldest in California goes to workout almost every day at the gym. On weekends he also goes surfing and skim boarding..he's in great shape. They also have a basketball hoop that the two boys will shoot baskets sometimes.

When they're not in school or doing all I said, they're on their devices. All 5 are slim, the oldest is quite muscular because he's working on that.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I was very thin when I joined the Navy in 1968. I weighed in at 98 pounds! Actually, when my Recruiter contacted me about getting ready for Basic Training, he told me to eat all the banana's I could, before reporting in. Didn't help much, but the Navy kept me. Thank God because the Draft was right there to get me if the Navy released me for whatever. I put on a little weight while in the Navy, but not as much as I wanted to. It wasn't until I turned 50, that I started putting on some "much needed" weight. My metabolism rate was just so high for so many years.

I know I sit in front of this computer too much right now, but it's winter time here (or what northeastern Florida considers a winter). Wife and I do know this, our metabolism rates have really gone done in recent years. Seems like no matter how much exercise (boating, shooting, playing the Wii Game, walking) we do, we just can't lose much. We only gain a pound or two, lose that, but then gain it back.

Way back when, when she danced a lot and I was involved in rodeo, we did look better/slimmer, but "that was then and now is now".

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, they're better balanced than I am. I love my devices and vices. :). But I don't exercise as much as I should.

7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Well I definitely don't ! Not through choice, if I had my way I'd dance everyday
    the best way to exercise - but I'm not able to now

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I wasn't fat when I lived in Michigan either, but then I was seventeen.

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.