The Dumbest Generation?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Ed Wilson, Aug 10, 2020.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's good to have goals, especially those that are attainable.

Pleasant dreams!

Bill Boggs likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Alaska has a Vo-Tech that is for Alaska residents only. My youngest son wasn't interested in college after watching his older siblings accumulate debt. He visited several schools in the lower 48, but decided to stay in Alaska and go to school here. He was hired before he completed his course and has been employed ever since.

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Not to take anything away from the older siblings but it sounds like your youngest has a great sense of reasoning.

Hal Pollner and Don Alaska like this.
  4. John Brunner

I don't know what field your son is in, but it seems that fewer and fewer people are willing to get their hands dirty (or have the knowledge to do some very basic things), and there's more and more of them. There's lots and lots of opportunities for those who eschew white collar work, and those opportunities are going to continue to grow.

5. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

He is a diesel and heavy equipment mechanic. His hands get about as dirty as they can get, although he usually wears nitrile gloves now.

6. John Brunner

I worked as a mechanic for a Harvester International dealership when another opportunity arose and I left.

I did small engine work and really enjoyed it, although my skills were limited.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

@Don Alaska
    , I have know several diesel Mechanics, one lives next door tto me.
    Members of my family were diseal mechanics working for heavy industry companies
    or John Deer. When I was working I used to encounter them weekly. I never knew one that
    didn't make a good living or couldn't find work readily.

Me, I could never knew how to do anything, never understood how anything worked,
    and spent most of my working life as a paper pusher or as a sales rep depending on
    others to help me do the things one needs to do to get through life. I wish it had not
    been so but I was a dumb bunny. And I agree there are too few people willing to get
    their hands dirty and it seems to me now days to many want to start at the top in their
    work and earnings and not start at the bottom and work up to a comfortable living.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My teenage grandson's girlfriend plans to go to technical school to be a diesel mechanic when she graduates from high school. :D I found her career path interesting for a 17-year old.

9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Interesting for a girl for sure. My massage therapist told me I had the back of a diesel mechanic. She said they have the right tool for the job many times, but are under the truck with no "gofer" so they just muscle things out. Apparently they tend to have heavy musculature after a few years. It isn't like an auto mechanic. The parts tend to be much bigger and heavier.

10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

My father-in-law was a mechanic for International during the week and did small engines on the weekend. That man could fix anything.

John Brunner likes this.
  11. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

My cousin, a well to do young lady- was a teacher and a natural born car mechanic. She never need to go to a shop to get her car fixed...and charged her brothers for fixing theirs. For her auto-mechanic was a hobby

12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I have known several ladies who like to work on cars, but none who work on diesel trucks and heavy equipment due to the weight involved, but they may be around.

13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Silvia Benoit

The very first skilled trade I learned (all were self-taught) was the machining of metal parts using a lathe. As I became more deeply embroiled in automotive mechanics and engineering, it was necessary to become able to work with hydraulics, and hence, "plumbing", and specialized work required specialized parts, often secured by cutting, welding, and machining.

As a Facilities Engineer at 35, I already knew pretty much how my Maintenance Department (of 18 employees having many varying skills) could get things done. Early on, it became apparent to me most skilled trades people looked upon "them Engineers" with much disdain, believing (correctly in many cases) the "boss" was incapable of functionally evaluating their work. That changed in my favor when opportunity allowed me to demonstrate certain repairs they believed impossible. This was learned respect, rarely encountered. I decided very early I would never use my skills to earn a living directly; they became a hobby.

Frank

14. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

When a child is born and to the age approximate 7 years old the child brain is being formed into what he/she will be. Their mind at that time is more flexible to ideas. They claim your basic beliefs are set at that time. Now the new education system want to teach gender confusion to 5 year old’s to have them question who they are. At that age you could convince them that they are the opposite sex and their minds being so flexible that they might except it. The whole education system has gone completely crazy I do not know if this is by accident or planned but it is happening. The leftest have got into the education system also the Chinese which would love to make all the students into pansy’s

God Bess the children and I hope this insanity ends quickly before they destroy another generation.

15. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It is planned. (over a century ago).

The nazis published their decisions to use the deception of evolution and etc to separate children from their family, from their identity, from their support system , and to indoctrinate them as wards (or property) of the state, (like the usa has often done) .