The Dumbest Generation?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Ed Wilson, Aug 10, 2020.

1. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Strange that public schools work quite well in other developed (and some undeveloped) countries quite well. Also, I might mention that immigrants found access to schools here that wasn't available to them in their original countries. Assignment (I'm an old time teacher): Google 'US physicians educated abroad.'

Nancy Hart likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

As with most things that the government is involved in, the more money you throw at it, the worse it gets. Public schools, in this country, were intended to be local and locally supported, not federal and federally mandated.

Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I must have missed something. The charter schools that opened up in Louisiana [after Katrina] amped up the educational development of the kids, not hindered them. Kids are not being pushed through the system as in “no child left behind” but instead only move on when they are ready to do so.
    The nearly privatized educational system allows for a heavier scrutinization of their instructors and unlike the public school system, can fire them without repercussions from a union.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

All of the charter schools that I am familiar with were far superior to the regular public schools.

5. James Hintze

Registered

How does Louisiana rate today? https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/public-school-rankings-by-state

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

To say that the entire school system changed in light of Katrina would be ludicrous. I know, I wrote, “Louisiana” but I also stipulated Katrina which would only include those schools in the 2 or 3 parishes that were heavily affected by the storm.
    The charter schools that were independently opened filled the gap and found to have better results than the public schools before they were washed out.
    Public government run schools are still the main system in every state including Louisiana so the figures are indeed correct for an over-all blanket picture. That said, if we went parish to parish and compared the results from charter versus public then the figures would change dramatically.

Incidentally, there was very little that Obama did that I approved of particularly the common core project but helping out with the financing of charter schools wasn’t one of them.

Edit: One thing we do have to be very careful of is the way some agencies including our government extrapolate much of the statistical data.
    Similar in nature to the way the figures are created to make the Covid-19 pandemic death toll seem much worse than it is, government statistical data is generated and published to produce one of two things:
    make things better looking than they are or make things look worse than they are.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    Terry Coywin likes this.
  7. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

[QUOTE Using a slur like "spawn" against parents, [/QUOTE]

I heard many times "spit out" when referring to prolific parents....and I am not so sure isn't the correct way to describe them.

8. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

In the Dominican Republic they shut down the schools and went to teaching through the internet. My daughter normally has 24 people in her class at school and in my son's class has 21. This morning the logins for the two classes was 8 students. Working great is it not? Lots of children do not have internet connection other to not have equipment to connect to the internet. Long time ago the government promise to give student the electronic to connect but never did. All this on a virus which has a 99.999% survival rate in children.

9. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Remote learning has been established in most countries due to covid. Even though the risk involved here for children is 99%, they can be carriers of the virus or asymptomatic and facilitate spread in their communities. School staff are at risk of contracting the virus, irrespective of whatever protection they may use.

Online method of education or remote learning can be a highly effective alternative method of education for the students who are matured, self-disciplined and motivated, well organized and having high degree of time management skills, but it is an inappropriate learning environment for more dependent learners and has difficulty assuming responsibilities required by the online courses.

There are a lot of pros and cons to this method of learning. However, since we have two different or varied categories of learners, the authors of this method have to figure out a way to bring something to the table to accommodate those who are less motivated.

10. James Hintze

Registered

I might remind our Seniors Only friends that we either had, or had access to tuition free college/university educations. Most other developed countries and some lesser developed ones also have tuition free higher education.

11. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I guesss I miss the point of that statement with regard to video

12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I think he means through community colleges. It's my belief that a student can get just as good an education at a community college as they can at the ones with the fancy names. ....... If they want to learn.

13. James Hintze

Registered

What I mean is that in the 1950s the University of Idaho, along with most other state colleges and universities, didn't require tuition from in-state students. It shouldn't cost a quarter of a million to get a MD degree. I might add that it's more important to have a 4 year degree now than it was in the 50s.
    And yes, community colleges are less expensive.

14. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Your degree is not more important unless you've chosen something other than gender studies, or sex life of tsetse flies.

15. James Hintze

Registered

Meaning?