The Dreaded N Word

Discussion in 'Evolution of Language' started by Hal Pollner, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

A bitch by definition is a female dog. Yet I have seen a number of cars around here, mainly from California if that makes any difference, with rear window or body emblazoned with stickers proclaiming, "Real Bitch Driving", or "True Bitch Girl", etc.

Makes me wonder what kind of individual would call such attention to herself. What kind of mentality? To me, it's idiotic.
    Frank

Bobby Cole, Patsy Faye and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Did read years ago that this term was used by the slaves BORN in America to describe the newly imported slaves from Africa

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The use of the term probably stems from Niger and Nigeria, Africa, both places in which slavery continues to be common today, although outlawed in Nigeria, or whatever similar place or people names were in use at the time.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

To you is "idiotic", and I totally understand, but to them, it's very, very cool. Probably a former Marine or Army Drill Sargent. LOL

7. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

My Dad used all of those words all the time when I was growing up. I was probably 10 or 11 before I learned that those words were not okay to be used and interestingly enough I learned that from the very person who freely used those words.

As an adult I thought back many times to conversations where he used those words and to him it was as normal as us saying hello. He used them to simply reference the "nationality" of a person as well as using them to degrade a person.

Once I had been scolded for saying such things I became untrusting of what I was learning at home and began relying on school and friends and friend's families as to what was proper and not.

When he died in 2008 he was still using those words and I was still trying to teach him the proper term.

I don't use the words. It does not make sense to me when a group will refer to themselves in those derogatory terms but pitch a royal fit when others do.

Treat others as you wish to be treated .. if you don't then you reap the "benefits" of such actions and that goes all the way down to words.

Some will say they are just words .. but words can - and do - hurt and scar.

8. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

In the case of 'comedians' I think they do it to fit in :rolleyes:
    In the case of one to another - its such a dirty obnoxious word, because of the whites use of it - it will be a strong insult when used
    one to another. I've learnt even more lately through documentaries and understand 'blacks' more than I do 'whites'

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Not to change this thread, but sort of goes with it...…….when in a conversation with a black person, which is more recommended to say, when referring to their race...….."blacks" or "African-Americans"?

At the Waffle House we go to, they use to have a wonderful black male host, named Lyon. He really, really took care of the front of the restaurant, which included keeping the floor clean and windows clean. He would say "good morning", with a smile, to all that came in.

This wonderful Host preferred to be called "black" than African-American.

Actually, I've seen both wordings used in the media. From what I can tell, law enforcement says "black" not AA.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Holly Saunders likes this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

..I didn't know that , having never heard of either of those institutions , but that in itself is very telling...

12. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

And lest we forget the Congressional Black Caucus is still a very exclusionary entity. It's so exclusive that even if you're black but a conservative you're ineligible.

13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I've wondered why all American blacks are grouped as "African American" because in truth not all originated from Africa. They come from many different places around the globe. I read that the origin of the word "nigger" was derived from the Latin "niger" meaning black. Most of my life I assumed that it was simply derived from a southern version of "negro."

Personally, I don't take name calling or labels to heart. People think nothing of saying someone is "fat" or "old" or "crippled", which to me are much more hurtful labels than "honkey." :D

Tom Galty likes this.
  14. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

I to my shame in the eyes of some love to be called a HONKEY

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

It's more annoying to me that people can make fun of old people, now that I belong to that demographic. :D I was reading reviews of a fragrance recently and noted many people stating that the perfume "smelled like an old lady". Excuse me??? Them's fightin' words!! (I smell very nice, thanks.) I can think of much worse things to smell like, but whatev.

Patsy Faye and Ken Anderson like this.