The Dreaded N Word

Discussion in 'Evolution of Language' started by Hal Pollner, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

Those were tough times.

IMO if a school or a business has a racial makeup that is in line with the demographics of the area that they serve or are located in that should be sufficient.

The thing that I cannot understand is why the conditions of schools in many cities including mine are so drastically different and why the schools in the poor neighborhoods, in particular, are so outdated. My city is governed by one school board, has one pool of funds for school taxes, state aid, etc... yet the schools vary drastically from one neighborhood to another. That does seem unfair to me.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Part of it could be parent support financially.

I know my daughter donates some big amounts to the schools my grandsons went to and also there are live auction fundraisers which aren't cheap to raise money for the school.

One year they were going to cut the music or art program...forget which one but the parents came up with the salary for the teacher...or the difference....I don't remember or know the details.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I wanted to reply to this but my reply would be off-topic, so I started a new thread about it. You can find it here.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

You are very right in saying that there are people of all colors and cultures that want to live with other people of the same race ; but then we need to ask ourselves the question of why that is?
    Mostly, it is because people feel SAFER with others of their own race and religion. Just as you belittled the person who was serving you in the restaurant by making him only a thing of color and not a person (this is called “dehumanizing”) , people of all races and colors do this to other people.
    I really like what @Ken Anderson said, that we should see everyone as a person, and not as a lump of colored skin (sorry, Ken, not very good paraphrasing) .

As a professing Christian, you know that the Bible tells us that what God cares about is the heart and the soul of a person. There is nothing in the Bible that even suggests that He judges people by their skin color.
    As a follower of Jesus, it is my personal belief that I should do my best to follow the example set by Jesus, and care about ALL people , regardless of their skin pigmentation.

Jane Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Really doesn't matter what you think, what matters is how he took the question...…….very nicely and informatively. I was curious, so I asked and he didn't have a problem with me asking and told me that.

Jane Smith likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

A person is NOT belittling another when the other person totally understands the question. I just don't get people like you and Jane that can think it was bad to ask him about how he feels about being called this or that. It was a question...….plain and simple and he answered us with no hesitation or anger.

If you and Jane don't like the question we asked him, all wife and I can say is...….TOUGH!! We asked him and he gave us a very polite and humorous answer.

Gesshhhhhh, I just don't understand you ladies, but then again, you ladies don't understand us. But, that is fine on both cases.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Really folks, all of you MUST understand that what you think and do could be very different from what others think and do. You could think something is disgusting that a person says or does, yet the person who said whatever or done whatever, doesn't have a problem with what they said or done at all.

Most of you would think jumping off of a bridge hooked to a bungee cord would be insane-to-ridiculous, while the people who do it think it's thrilling and fun.

8. Ken Anderson

Ten years ago, I would have agreed that there was no reason to bring up someone's race at all, and it did seem that this was the direction that the country was going in. Then along came Obama and his campaign of racial division and hatred. Along came Black Lives Matter and the unspoken conclusion that white lives didn't matter so much and that the lives of the police and anyone with a conservative bent mattered even less than not at all. Everyone who ever even thought of voting for a Republican is accused of racism, and innocent words and phrases that don't even have a history of referring to race are now verboten because they are claimed to be slurs against black people. Following the Obama Administration, the left needs to paint everything that Trump does or says as racist. In such a racially charged atmosphere, it is difficult not to notice a person's race and to, at least in some respect, respond to it, either by the things we say or the things we don't say.

Frank Sanoica and Tom Galty like this.
  9. Jane Smith

Jane Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

Did you ever stop to think that he was worried that if he had told you to pull your head in he may have lost his job? If you truly can't get past acknowledging how insulting your attitude and behaviour is then it's pointless discussing this with you. Let go of the labels before you get labelled yourself. Oh and just because your wife agrees with you doesn't make you right.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Very true, Ken.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I've already been "labeled" before and lived thru it. You'd better read what Ken wrote. Do I have to put you on "Ignore" again. Have no problem doing that, if needed. I just don't need this crap.

You think what you want and wife and I will simply ignore and understand where it's coming from. There!

12. Jane Smith

Jane Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

After such a "mature" reply then Yes please put me on Ignore. Can't your wife speak for herself? Aren't you comfortable with allowing her a direct voice?

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

For example, at least one college professor was summarily fired for using the word "niggardly," and he was fired despite the fact that he made an eloquent and factual defense of his use of the word. The conclusion was that he should have been more racially sensitive. In other words, he should have known that there would be people in the room who didn't know what the word meant, or what its origins were, and who would be offended. The word's origins are not in the N-word and its proper usage doesn't even refer to any stereotypes about black people.

Word origins. "Niggardly" (noun: "niggard") is an adjective meaning "stingy" or "miserly". It can be traced back at least to the Middle English word nigon, which has the same meaning, and is related to the Old Norse verb nigla, which means "to fuss about small matters".

14. Ken Anderson

By the way, there's no point in fighting over what someone may have said or done in the past. I am not saying that you have a bad point but the point has been made, so let's move on.

When I was in college, I asked my black roommate what he called Brazil nuts. He told me he called them N-toes but that I could refer to them as Brazil nuts if I wanted to.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

She doesn't want any part of you or this forum. Her decision and that's fine with me. Since you are such an interesting lady to debate with, I'm not sure I want to put you on "Ignore". LOL

Now, as Ken just recommended...…..let's go forward.