The Day's Events

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Frank Sanoica, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

We faced a 120 mile trip to the airport, the flight departing at 7:00 AM. So, I turned in at 8PM, knowing full-well how poorly I functioned with lack of sleep. 11:00 PM, I awoke, got up to pee, and saw a light: my wife working her tablet in the spare bedroom. Asked WTH she was doing, she replied, unable to sleep.

Plan was, get up at 2AM, leave at 2:30. Came close. I felt like caca, she feels unable to drive at night due to her eyes, we loaded up and left. Leaving Laughlin (NV) westward involves some quick, hairpin turns, graded and sloped for 55mph, but she felt unnerved. I offered to let her drive; that settled the qualm. Uneventfully, I dropped her at McCarron, and turned around to go home, and SLEEP. I stopped in Searchlight, NV, an old mining town the boyhood home of recently-retired Harry Reid, NV Senator. By then, it was 30 minutes till her flight time. I decided to call her. She had been consummately worried about me functioning with about 3 hours of sleep. I reached her at her gate, all OK, I had the much-needed "Terrible Herbst" coffee, and we signed off.

Got home at 7:30AM, feeling like the zombie I surely must have resembled, fell into my recliner, and promptly fell, what, into deep diversionary considerations of my state! My Mother called it "overtired", when I refused to sleep as a kid. Here was the 76-year old kid again acting up. Sometimes I hate myself!

I went about my business during the day, cleaning the pool, sunbathing while spraying water upwards, wondering how it was going back in IN. She called about 11PM her time (8 mine), said she was settled down in her Mom's house, the cat was under the bed bawling, the house stank (her Mom has been in hospital 3 weeks), she had had no chance to catch some winks, was hungry, and we bade each other good night.

3 sisters, my wife the middle one, her older sister side-lined probably for life, a stroke 2 years ago, her kid sister inclined to always follow "head in the sand" philosophy. Here I am, wondering........should I buy that wonderful chocolate pudding cake forbidden to my wife by her KETO diet? I feel like a criminal!
    Frank

2. Maryt Hope

Maryt Hope Veteran Member
    Registered

Relax, Frank !:)
    It is Monday . Have a great week ahead !

3. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Jiminy! Relax?? I will genuinely try! The week ahead poses only minor detritus, so i guess your advice is NICE!
    frank

Maryt Hope likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

So the whole round trip was only 5 hours?....I know 5 hours is a lot when you've had little sleep, but only 2.5 hours each way then?....Do you not do much driving these days Frank...or travel very far from the house? Your wife arriving safely must be a relief for you.. will you have the same problem when you go to collect her from the airport..re lack of sleep?

Thanks for the update... have the chocolate cake and be damned... you're on vacation...:D

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  5. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Tomorrow, my wife will have been gonea week. During this past week, her Mother has remained hospitalized, having been moved from ICU to a room after 4 days. The staff is treating her condition as a mental rather than physical problem, in fact, they are amazed at her physical stamina at 92. They ply her with mental rehab every day, asking numerous questions aimed at determining status: improving or RTS?

Today she was moved out of rehab to a care center, but I forget the terminology. At any rate, she cannot go home, though she questions why not. Today she asked my wife when "Kenny" will be coming there: Kenney, her husband, died in 1996. The brain's abilities and adaptiveness are way beyond my comprehension.
    Frank

6. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

BUY THE CAKE AND ENJOY IT!!!

In a few years, it won't make a damn bit of difference.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This sounds like your wife’s mother is not likely to be going back home, at least not anytime soon, @Frank Sanoica .
    If she is still having memory problems, she will probably be in the nursing home for at least another month, and maybe permanently , if she doesn’t show signs of recovery from this.
    Even if she does get better, there is always the likelihood of her having another episode, so they probably will not allow her to live alone after this, and she will either remain in the care home, or have to live in some sort of assisted-living home, or with family for the rest of her life.
    Something will have to be done with the house, assuming that she can’t return to it, so there is going to be a lot for your wife to deal with while she is gone.
    Do you have room for her mother to live with you, if it comes to her needing a place to live with family ?

8. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Yvonne Smith We have plenty of room if she chose, or it were agreed amongst the players, that she should stay with us. Problem is, we are the only two living outside of their clan in Indiana; most there feel she should remain there, yet none would likely want to take her in.
    Frank

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  9. Vinny Waccio

Vinny Waccio Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have only been retired a month so I am still in the sleep as late and do nothing stage. Eventually I will develop a routine and start joining a few of the man clubs around here. I already joined a gun club and a gun range. Also joined an Amateur radio club and will be joining a Mensa club soon.

10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Vinny Waccio
    I get it now, looked at your profile, moved to FL. Nice place in many ways, has some drawbacks, but so does every place. some say "Hawaii", Hooray! Not so, for me, too restrictive of wide open spaces. I like places like Nevada more. Drive 100 miles, see no other human being. Car breaks down, yer on yer own! I do not worry about that, though.
    Frank

Don Alaska likes this.