The Cobbler's Bench

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Joe Riley, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

“The Cobbler's Bench” is the new Shoe store in town, offering Shoe Repair & Shoe Accessories, to down-trodden shoes in the area! Joe Shuemacher, is the sole owner and proprietor. The new store, located at 9 ½ Main Street, will have tongues wagging all over town. Will he make a go of it? We’ll just have to wait and see when the other shoe drops! Grand opening was today. Walk-ins Welcome! :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

:)Well I wish the cobbler a world of luck and much profits!

Joe Riley and Patsy Faye like this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

Years ago dads did their own cobbling at home, had all the necessary to do it too :)

Holly Saunders and Joe Riley like this.
  5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

Growing up, we had a shoe last similar to this picture, with different size top pieces. My Dad would resole our shoes or replace an occasional heel. The term "Shoemaker" was not a compliment....similar to "Butcher".;)
    [​IMG]

Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

OBSERVATIONS ON PEOPLE AND THEIR SHOES: PAUL ROWLAND, PAUL’S SHOE REPAIR (Video)
    “I fix shoes. I am a cobbler.”

Paul Rowland, of Paul’s Shoe Repair in Westbrook, shares with us a bit of history, a few observations on people and their shoes, and his thoughts on the craft of being a cobbler.

[​IMG]

7. Patsy Faye

Registered

Joe - the one me dad had, there were 3 different sizes on the last, never seen one with just one
    I remember it so well, don't know why, must have fascinated me :p

Joe Riley likes this.
  8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

Patsy, ours had interchangeable top pieces.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a three sided one.
    [​IMG]

9. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Joe Riley - Ooo get you, very posh :p
    Your picture there isn't like me Dad's last, maybe the picture deceives me, anyway they were built to last weren't they Joe :p

Joe Riley likes this.
  10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

One for two Sale!;)
    [​IMG]

Patsy Faye likes this.
  11. Mari North

Mari North Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I wonder how many people will go in there looking for the monkey and the weasel? :) Wouldn't it be great to find a good pair of shoes that's going to last longer than six months?! A cobbler would certainly be able to provide that.

Joe Riley likes this.
  12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

THE COBBLER AND THE RICH MAN
    A cobbler worked in his shop from morning until night, and as he worked he sang. Tired people who heard him were rested, and sad men and women were cheered as they came near the shop. Children visited him and watched him at his work and heard him sing. They called him "Jolly Gregory." (con't) (link)

[​IMG]

Patsy Faye likes this.
  13. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Pardon me if this comment is not related to this thread. I just remembered that my husband's grandfather was a shoemaker. I guess that's the same as cobbler? The grandpa used to make custom-made shoes and hats in the 1930s and his clients were the wealthy guys in Manila. Grandpa's brother was the actual cobbler for he handle's the shoe repair department. By the way, Grandpa's father is the first cousin of Emilio Jacinto, a national hero who was instrumental in the Philippine revolution in the closing of the 19th century (1898).

Holly Saunders and Patsy Faye like this.
  14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

Thank you for sharing about your husband's grandfather, Corie, his family had some mighty big shoes to fill!
    [​IMG]
    Emilio Jacinto

15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

Shoe Resoling Service by Valentino Shoes
    Valentino Shoes is at Cubao Expo along General Romulo Avenue, Quezon City.

Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Greeter
    Moderator Registered

My dad could fix just about anything; but he didn't re-sole shoes. He was a lineman, ad so his usual footwear was tall (up to the knees) lineman's boots. They had eyelet laces all of the way up and it took him a while each morning to lace up the boots. When my dad came home at night, I loved to sit at his feet and unlace those boots for him and help him take them off of his tired feet.
    Because he had to climb power poles all day in those boots, they had to have special soles, and they had to be in good shape, since his life depended on those boots as he climbed up the wooden power poles with his climbing hooks on.
    Mom would take the boots into Spokane to a special shoe store that mostly just worked on boots, and they would put on new soles or heels when needed. since the bottoms of the line boots wore out much faster than the tops, they were usually able to repair them rather than have to buy a whole new pair of line boots.
    Line boots were expensive, and my dad wore them year around, wading through mud and snow in the winter months. He took special care of those boots, and he taught me how to put neetsfoot oil on the boot to keep them soft and flexible, and in the winter, sometimes, he would use a product called Mink Oil, which was also water repellant.
    Since I had my horse, I also had cowboy boots, as well as all of my horse tack that needed to be kept oiled , soft , and pliable.
    Many winter evenings, I remember sitting in front of our oil stove, on the linoleum floor, with all of my bridles disassembled, while I cleaned and oiled them so they would be in good shape for horseback riding.

Holly Saunders and Joe Riley like this.
  17. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

Ike Willis likes this.
  18. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My dad used to go to yard sales and buy certain leather items. Purses made of plain leather, not patent leather, boots, belts etc. He used the leather to make or repair things. He got these items much cheaper than he could had he bought bulk lots of leather. I had several knife sheaths he made, as well as a pocket holster for a small pistol.
    One of the hand bags was made of a thinner, soft supple leather. He made a book cover for a favorite book of his. Some of the leather became custom made wallets.

19. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

What a neat idea, Ike!

Ike Willis likes this.
  20. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It is neat to see some old fashioned shoe stores, there is one shoe repair sop in the aea. I keep thinking I should go in there. I bet the person who owns it is 60+. I can't imagine any young people who grew up in the throw away society going into a shoe repair business. Anyway, That was neat to see JOe. I hope the shop is a success.

Joe Riley likes this.
  21. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

Anyone remember these "shoe machines"?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joe Riley and Ike Willis like this.
  22. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

That is a Shoe-Fitting Fluoroscope. Check this link to "Skeletons in the shoe store".
    [​IMG]

Ike Willis likes this.
  23. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

WHO KILLED THE SHOE REPAIR INDUSTRY?
    "Perhaps you’ve heard the bedtime story about the poor shoemaker who would wake every morning to find that his work from the night before had been finished while he slept by a pair of elves. The cobbler, who specializes in repairing shoes, has been in business since the first shoes were made, but their numbers are dwindling. An estimated 4,300-shoe repair companies exist today, whereas over 100,000 existed in the 1930s. A number of factors are to blame for the demise of shoe repair: exploitation of cheap foreign labor, the hyper change in fashion trends, rising costs of leather and rubber, and consumer apathy".....(con't) Link

[​IMG]

Frank Sanoica and Ike Willis like this.
  24. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

25. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

They're all cobblers - and so is the story: Adam Sandler's new movie can't be faulted for its cast but the script is nonsense, writes BRIAN VINER
    [​IMG]

Ike Willis likes this.