The Choice Of A Vegan Diet

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Lon Tanner, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

With some it's just a preference choice and with others religious consideration is paramount.
    I am a Humanist and a meat eater that feels their is considerable DNA from my very earliest ancestors to warrant my tastes.

2. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

I am a vegan. I turned vegetarian at 25, vegan at 40.

My DNA has never informed me of any carnivorous yearnings it may have. In fact, most, not all, research points to the idea that our earliest ancestors were mostly vegetarian, with a very rare taste of meat, on occasion.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm also a Vegetarian...I always have a Vegetable with my Chops, Roasts, Steaks, and Burgers.

Hal

Cody Fousnaugh likes this.
  4. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I do love my veggies however and consume them daily.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

While I am not a vegan, or even a total vegetarian, I am working my way in that direction, a little at a time. The more that I read about how meat is raised, fed, butchered, and processed, as well as that much of it is sent to China for processing; the less I am inclined to put meat in my body.
    We have all seen the horror stories of things like dog, horse, or or other meat added into processed meats like lunch meat, sausage, and even some hamburger.
    If I can actually see what the meat was originally (like a chicken wing or drumstick, or salmon), then I am more inclined to eat that, than something that has been so processed that there is no way of knowing what goes in it.

Smithfield Farms, probably one of the largest meat processing plants, belongs to Communist China, and much of the meat they have in the plant is frozen and sent to China to be processed in one of their plants in China.
    We know that the Chinese eat some strange kinds of animals that we would not eat, and it is not totally unreasonable to think that foods like Spam might have dogs and cats chopped up in it.

I also am against eating meat because I think that the large meat processing plants treat the livestock very inhumanely, both alive and when they are butchering them.
    I don’t even want to watch the videos that have come out about the horrible things that happen in those places.
    While I know that dairy cows don’t live an ideal life either, at least they are put out on pasture, and live a much more normal life, and at this point, I am still okay with eggs and dairy products.

Just being a vegan does not mean that a person is eating healthy meals.
    You could actually have coffee and donuts for breakfast, French fries and coca-cola for lunch, and a peanut butter and jam sandwich for dinner and be a vegan, without ever touching a vegetable.
    My goal is to have a plant-based diet, mostly veggies, and as much as possible to have my foods raw and fresh. I am not 100% on this, but close enough that I feel okay about what I am eating, at least most of the time.
    I only eat cheesecake when Bobby makes me eat it........

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Doe's he hurt you when he twists your arm to do that??

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Pigs in body cages. This should not happen to any animal just so people can have bacon and pork chops. If we are going to eat animals, we should at least be raising them humanely.

7EDBE75E-A5B5-4A4E-8C64-61FBEF436B2E.jpeg

8. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

That's disgusting.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

It is pretty silly thing to do, but I do wonder the "why?" of it. However, there are many non-farming/non-ranching folks that hate to see branding/doctoring/inoculations of cattle done either in a pen or squeeze cute, small hogs being "ringed" to stop rooting from being done and other things done on a farm or ranch that is normal (to a farmer/rancher).

10. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

11. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

I like meat. If there is not animal protein on my plate it is not a meal. I eat my veggies and my fruit,but just to round out the meal.
    I got a cousin who is vegan. Loudly,obnoxiously and judgmentally. I like to eat bacon in front of her.
    I don't give a hoot what anyone else eats, don't judge me on my food.

12. Yvonne Smith

No one is judging you on your food, @Peter Renfro . Most of the people on this forum eat meat, including me; but the thread that @Lon Tanner started was about people choosing to become a vegan.
    I don’t want anyone judging me (or anyone ) about what I eat, so I can relate to what you are saying, and some people are very judgemental about all kinds of things that other people do or say.

I can tell that the pigs looked like they were from China, or some foreign place; but it is still animal abuse, just like people who are slave-trafficked are being abused, no matter what country they are sold into by the human traffickers.

I have been an outdoors person all of my life, have hunted and fished, and cleaned and cooked the creatures that I killed. I just do not want to do that anymore.
    I think that if everyone had to raise or hunt for their own meat, that a lot more people would eat less of it.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Like wife and I (in red above), Yvonne. And, have absolutely no problem doing it. I've put up with "judging" of me and my past participation in rodeo quite a bit. Just certain things wife and I don't like and will express that...……..but, many times, just between her and I.