The Check Inn Motel & Check Please Diner

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Joe Riley, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The Buick looks like our old neighbor's car but his was solid black. It was an Army Tank. I was working part time at a DX service station in Oklahoma City in 1964, directly across the street opposite corner there was a beautiful Buick two tone white over blue, it had minor engine trouble and I found that out from the son of the man who owned it. I wish I could have bought that car for my first car but I could not have bought it no matter what he would have taken. His son and I became pretty good friends and did a lot of walking. I finally bought my first car in late 65 and it was an old 50 chevy sedan. I had a job working as fire department dispatcher in Mid West City Oklahoma, just outside the OKC limits and across the highway from the air force base Tinker. I drove that old chevy for two weeks and after work one day I went out to the parking area behind the station I was working in, it was way out at the end of the then city limits of Mid West City. They put the newest station there looking forward to today's massive expansion so they would be prepared for the future. Any way I cranked up the old chevy and it was knocking like crazy. One of the firemen came out and checked the oil and it was 3 quarts low. It also had no radiator fan :0) .. I had only paid 35 dollars for the old car. So it cranked up and stopped knocking and I drove down the driveway turned left and started my short drive home. I got to the bottom of the knoll the station was built and the valve cover blew completely off the engine. Smoke was coming out the inside and the station had a huge all wall plate glass window where the dining table was located so all the guys at the station saw it when it blew and they came straight away and was going to put out the fire. There was no flames so they went back to the station. One of the firemen named Riley sold me a 54 Chrysler Fluid Drive that he inherited from his Aunt, for 50 dollars. I joined the Army shortly after that and left the car on the corner of the Oklahoma Recruiting station administration building where they give you your physical and oath etc etc. So I left for Fort Polk next morning but just left my nice car sitting there. My sister came and picked up the car and drove it to California, my brother was with her and he told me decades late that the only trouble they had was the bumper fell off and he tied it back on with clothes hanger wire. The water pump went bad on the trip and they replaced it for 4 dollars !!! Long story I know but the old Buick just brings back a lot of memories. ;0)

Nancy Hart likes this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

@Thomas Stillhere: . Some good stories. Thank you.

You mentioned a tank. Two years after this picture we got a 1955 Buick Super two-door 3 tone (automatic) and kept it as a second car. It was the one I eventually learned to drive and took "the test" in. The thing was so heavy. I remember when you went down a long hill you had to ride the brake or it would get going so fast it was scary ... :eek:

Mary Stetler likes this.
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome to Sleep Inn.....
    [​IMG]