The Burden Of Time

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Bobby Cole, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

”The river follows the contours to chart its course” is a curious saying for if one sat and watched a river, the finding would be that while yes, the contours do dictate the river’s course but the river has the ability to change the contours.
    From its start to emptying into another body of water each molecule, nay, each atom’s journey is made without the use of time. Whatever changes are made during its course, whatever happens surrounding its flow and however fast or slow it goes is all about.....now.
    No matter which point of focus we use, we only observe it in the time frame of what it is doing at the exact moment of observation.

Our own journey through life is much the same but we have placed some relevancy of time upon that journey.
    Beyond the organizational benefits of a time table in regard to our interaction with other humans, what we are doing at this very moment is far more important than what happened to us before this moment or what happens afterward.
    We consider satisfaction to be based on certain accomplishments over a space of time whereby it is the end result that we consider to bring us a measure of happiness. Then, perhaps having achieved some semblance of that goal we go on yet another journey to accomplish another fiat of success and happiness.

The questions one must be forced to ask themselves: Why are the end results of a journey more important than the journey? Why do I consider what happens after this moment and what happened before this moment to be more important than what we are doing, thinking and observing at this very moment?

If our own concept of time has been made so relevant that the end of a journey is the only thing that matters then we are missing out on all of micro journeys and achievements it took to achieve a single macro moment of satisfaction.
    Each moment, each micro second, as it were, that we live is a journey and an achievement. If we adjust our thinking and put no credulity to before or after this moment then this moment becomes the larger realization and each realization will indeed change the contours that we use to chart our course into a much more satisfying event.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I wish I was better at living in the moment but I'm not. Seems I'm always thinking about the future.

Right now even while on the forum my mind is looking at the time...thinking I have to get ready to go to Curves and the store soon.

Also thinking that since today is Friday I have to unlock the gate because Alfonso comes today.

This is a simple example but in general this is the way I always think.

Ken Anderson and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

We absolutely must do whatever it is that we do according to a time table in order for certain events to take place. But in the matter of self, moment to moment satisfaction there is no future because it hasn’t happened yet and all we can truly observe is now. There is no past because it is already gone and cannot be changed so reminiscing about it in relation to now is irrelevant.

We can plan for the future and even be entertained by our imaginations of the future but in reality, only that which we observe right now has relevance in that reality.

Bottom line is to relish each moment because even when that which we consider to be the future is realized, it’s still going to be........ now. :)

Don Alaska and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I need to sync my mind with my body....they're out of sync lately. :)

Plus change my attitude...I always focus on the bad things in the future that could happen, never think about the good.

I also try not to think of the past. Always makes me cry wether it's a good memory or a bad one.

The bad ones are obvious as to why I would cry but good ones make me cry because I miss that time or moment...I can't win in the memory department.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I think you could achieve that Chrissy, you just need distraction from your negative thoughts - that's all that's
    needed.
    Take it from me, who feels like a caged lion stuck in this flat - most times I can find distraction and when I can't
    achieve that, I'm as down as can be - negativity rears its head for the time I allow it to
    So far, I manage to switch that off - I just don't wanna go down that road, no matter how often it beckons

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I know @Patsy Faye and I'm trying but it's not easy for me.

I'm getting there slowly.

My negative self is a bit stronger than my positive self. :(

It's a battle!

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I know it is when I experience it myself, I guess its easier for me as I've never been a negative person
    until my health changed my view - I have no view ! Except a car park :rolleyes:
    I just work at getting out of that negative mood, its horrible - I don't like it
    You will too, I'm sure - just keep going down the road you're on now Chrissy, its different to what
    you've been used to and so far - is proving worthwhile :) x

Chrissy Cross and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

If you sit and watch a single flower, it does not appear to move nor accomplish anything but yet, it IS moving and it is accomplishing one thing that only you could recognize...........at the moment of observation, it makes you happy.

9. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

"With a woman, it's all in one flow like a stream..." - Ma Joad

10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Eckret Tolle....have you read any of his books?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

No, until you mentioned him, I had never heard of him. I looked Mr. Tolle up and was provided a basic bio and some of his writing does indeed look inviting.
    From a small glance it would appear that our thoughts are along the same pathway.

12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree .....I have read several of his books.
    The books are above living in the Now moment.He talks about how we waste so much time thinking constantly in the past or future that we miss the moment we are in.Ophra was a big fan of his.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Is that so? Is the journey more important than the destination? The question also is what we prioritise or, rather, what and when we can afford to. It surely sounds Zen to relish the very moment. Yet wouldn't it also depend on the kind of journey we are having and the kind of goal we want to achieve? There are certain journeys on which we can allow ourselves to prioritise time, to be reflective, to be wandering seemingly aimlessly while clearly enjoying the experience and those micro seconds you mentioned.

And, then, there are others. If you have to accomplish something which your very life or your existence hinges on, how can you savor the moments of the journey toward reaching that aim? The other day I watched a documentary about Charles Goodyear developing vulcanized rubber. He was goal-driven but he could certainly not have enjoyed the journey. He became fatally ill due to being exposed to all those chemicals, almost died during one of his experiments, was having financial problems. It seems doubtful that he was rejoicing the time it took to finally achieve his goal. Why does it look as if man can't really enjoy each moment? It seems to be in our DNA that we have to be goal-achievers if we want to survive. Just think of our ancestors who had to be successful in hunting and were unable to take pleasure in those moments chasing the game.

I feel it's also a question of age and maturity. The older people get the more reflective they tend to become. A number of personal goals will have been achieve by then. There's more time for contemplation, for an appreciation of the moment. A life has been lived and the future is uncertain. And not to forget, certain jobs are by their very nature more reflective.

Perhaps we also tend to be too critical with age and are oblivious of the fact that each journey, whether enjoyed and filled with contemplation or not, gives the traveller constant feedback about themselves, enables them to acquire skills necessary to complete that journey successfully. Ultimately, though, only the goal reachable at the end of the journey motivates you to set out on it. Experiences, moments of time, are precious and rewarding but without a plan or a goal, however hidden that may be, those experiences may become meaningless. We just have to acknowledge to ourselves that although we are indulging in the very moment, there is a reason and a goal which we sometimes may be unaware of that makes us do just what we are doing.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

There is a lot of truth to your observations for which there is little to debate.
    Goal setting is a must even at an advanced age and with that a mental or physical paradigm on a way to achieve that goal must be set.
    But, what if that goal is never achieved? Is the entire time spent on a journey less valid if the end result is made naught?
    Which one gives us the most useable knowledge? The taste of the fruit of a tree or the planting and nurturing of it before the fruit appears?
    If the fruit does not appear, have we lost or gained knowledge? Certainly we have gained much and lost very little.

Most of my own thoughts come from scriptures which when they are studied rather than merely read, give me a lot of insight as to my own shortcomings.
    Beyond prizing the knowledge of what has been gleaned from the past, there is nothing I can do to change the actual events.
    Tomorrow will be today soon enough so it is today, this hour or moment that I need to glean whatever fruit that I can possibly hold onto. When the wealthy farmer made plans to expand his holdings by building another barn the next day, his plans were thwarted because the next day didn’t come. Was it wrong to make those plans? Heaven forbid for indeed we are also told to count the cost before building the tower.

My point is simple: When we set a goal, the destination will always be there whether fruitful or replete with loss and which ever event occurs, there is some knowledge. But the journey, however long or short, painful or pain free, provides much more to learn than the ending result and with that learning there is a good measure of joy to be found if one simply looks for it.

Thomas Stearn and Don Alaska like this.