The Buffalo Herd

Discussion in 'Make Me Laugh' started by Hal Pollner, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Bobby and Frank were on a train trip, and they were riding through the Great Plains when the train came upon a huge herd of buffalo.

They remarked at how many animals there were, and Frank said that he would count them, just for fun.

By the time the train had passed the herd, Frank said there were 1,287 buffalo in the herd.

Bobby said, in complete disbelief: "How could you count so many animals so quickly, all together in that vast herd?"

Frank said: "It wasn't hard...I just counted their legs and divided by four!"

Hal

2. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

Great story!

That Frank was a pretty smart fella!

These photos of buffalo bones have nothing to do with your story other than illustrating how plentiful buffalo were at one time.

The bones were collected and sold to fertilizer factories.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nancy Hart and Frank Sanoica like this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beatrice Taylor
    At least some survived. So did a few trees; our prairie lands were once covered with both.
    Frank

Beatrice Taylor likes this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Hmmm... Not to start a fight or anything (lol), but I thought the definition of prairie was grasslands and shrubs, no trees. Seems I remember that from stories as a kid, maybe in school? Maybe it depends on how far you go back.

Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Wasn't the prairie land of the Dakotas (and points) south covered by a huge glacial lake in our not-so-distant past? My understanding is that this is why the Dakotas were lacking trees, and also why the soil was so good for agriculture.

6. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

This old postcard supports Ken's comments.

I think that trees were pretty much non-existent on the prairie until the settlers started planting them.

Arbor day was a big deal on the prairie.

The first American Arbor Day was originated in Nebraska City, Nebraska by J. Sterling Morton. On April 10, 1872, an estimated one million trees were planted in Nebraska.
    [​IMG]

Nancy Hart likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

I know that homesteaders in North Dakota were able to get an additional plot of land if they promised to plant it in trees.

Beatrice Taylor likes this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Nancy Hart
    I lacked the correct word for the mid-central portions of America which were treed, and "prairie" came to mind since that's what's left there now. Semantics. Maybe what is now "prairie" was treed long ago; what was it called then?
    Frank

9. Ken Anderson

It was called Lake Agassiz, with an area larger than all of the Great Lakes combined.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ken Anderson
    Seems we were taught in grade school that huge plots of land in America were denuded of trees as land was cleared for agriculture. I picture that as having happened farther west, like Colorado way.
    Frank

11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

For the most part, trees stopped in Indiana. There were few west of Illinois until you got to the Rockies except around rivers, lakes and streams, as fire would sweep the plains for thousands of miles. That left the prairies as grasslands since they could recover between fires, and the trees could not. There are more trees in the U.S. now than there have been in historical times, and probably since the Ice Ages. That is why The Midwest and Great Plains have the largest accumulation of rich soils in the entire world. Some of the myths about forests have been spread by those naturalists and environmentalists who think there should be trees covering everything. Wit large forests, you could not have had the large bison herds.