The Black Devils Fssf

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Faye Fox, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

My father was one of this elite Canadian USA group that was the only reason Italy did not fall to the Nazis. He never talked much of it and I only learned about the group in recent years when they finally found me through a cousin. To this day, there has never been a group like these men. Through the group, I learned of the battles he was in and the stories of the unequaled bravery of these highly trained men.

They got their name the Black Devils from blackening their faces to go undetected by the Nazis. The grueling conditions they endured in the mountains during the winter were unreal. They trained in Helena, Montana in the harsh cold and my father talked about the severe conditions they trained in more than the battles.

I think he only told me those stories to shut me up because my bedroom was poorly heated and with the Colorado winters dipping below zero temperatures, it got so cold ice would form on my glass of water. After I found out that he was a Black Devil and what they did, I could understand his unwillingness to talk about battles. I gained more appreciation for his stories of training with the Canadians in the severe Montana winter. That harsh training saved Italy and made a big impact on the outcome of the war.
    439_a.jpg
    Eugene Gutierrez (US) and Charlie Mann (CAN) WW2 Black Devils accepting the Congressional Gold Medal on behalf of the First Special Service Force 2015
    9768967_orig.jpg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Apparently, no one else here knew anyone in this elite group. I think it was a group of 1800 men. I was so surprised to find out my dad was a member of this commando group that had a very low casualty record and achieved so much under seemingly impossible odds, changing the course of the war.

I think this explains why my dad went into his own world the last 20 years of his life. It was when I learned of this, that I decided to start speaking about the horrible pain I had kept inside for 50 years. Even my bestie of 30 years didn't know the details of my husband and baby's death nor the tragic unreal horrifying death of my like-a-sister best friend as a teen. I wish my dad had shared more.