The Big Sea-shell

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Frank Sanoica, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

It sat on our dining room table as a centerpiece. Looked almost identical to this one:

• [​IMG]
    About 6 inches long. As a very young boy, my Mother told me one can hear the "ocean" in shells like it. She held it to my ear, and by-golly, she was right!

My wife watches a lot of "HAG-TV", so each evening as "House Hunters International" rings in, I watch the first few minutes showing places new to me. Tonight, one scene had such a conch shell on a table. I asked my wife if she knew you can hear the "sea" in one. She said EVERYBODY knows that............

Do they? No authority on acoustics, I started thinking about just how this works. Not sure. I think the spiral inside hole somehow takes in background noise and amplifies or concentrates it, just a guess.

Anyone know? Ya know me, I gotta understand everything!
    Frank

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

https://science.howstuffworks.com/question556.htm

"The most likely explanation for the wave-like noise is ambient noise from around you. The seashell that you are holding just slightly above your ear captures this noise, which resonates inside the shell. The size and shape of the shell therefore has some effect on the sound you hear. Different shells sound different because different shells accentuate different frequencies".

"You don't even need the seashell to hear the noise. You can produce the same "ocean" sound using an empty cup or even by cupping your hand over your ear. Go ahead and try it and vary the distance at which you place the cup near your ear. The level of the sound will vary depending on the angle and distance the cup is from your ear".

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  3. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Just around the bend, in a few days....
    c225a918b923cef3aca3eb60908760c0.jpg
    Enjoy!