The Best Google Street View

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Diane Lane, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have heard of that Google Map but still have to try it. A friend said that you can see your place with a view from the satellite. It that is true then that Google Street View is like a gianat cctv. It reminds me of the Terminator movie that I recently saw where Skynet is the computer that controls everything with CCTVs all around serving as the eyes.

However, that linke you posted, @Diane Lane is not a Street View anymore because it is an underwater shot.

3. Diane Lane

Registered

Yes, that's the point, they've ventured into underwater shots for their 'street view' function. I would imagine one day, we'll be able to see all over the universe. I'm not sure how updated the street view function actually is, because I've had a friend joke around mentioning certain things that are from several years ago, while looking at my place on there. I like the delay in some circumstances, for privacy reasons. I don't necessarily think it's a good thing that someone across the city, country, or world, can see exactly what vehicles are parked in your driveway, or who is sitting on your porch.

Here's what I'm talking about. I love this story. This guy can see his (now deceased) Grandmother still sitting on her porch, because that's where she was when Google took the picture. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ead-grandmother-lives-Google-Street-View.html

The old version of that story is that after my Grandmother died, I took comfort that I could look her up in the phone book and see her name, address and number, and imagine that she was still living there.

4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

@Diane Lane I am not well versed with the advanced function of that Google Street view. All I have been using is the Google map. And if what you say is true - you can actually see people in the porch of your house, that is like the realization of those science fiction story. And it's really wonderful to have that kind of technology in my lifetime. Perhaps I would have to check if the mailman has been delivering the mails now. Hahahaaa.

5. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

I love Google Street View. With it, I was (and still am, but now I don't use it as often) able to view (or "visit", virtually) many places that I never got to reach during my lifetime. For example, I was able to roam the streets of Tokyo, or the Australian wilderness. It's truly a fantastic piece of human engineering, and if we progress in the same way we've progressed the past hundred years, the future is really looking bright for the human race.

One thing I find amusing, though, is that everyone first visits their home on this. "What, you mean I can check out the whole Earth? Okay, let's see what my city looks like!"

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Corie, what Diane is saying is that the street views are real; but they are not necessarily taken recently. If you look at your own house, or your friends and neighbors, you will see that there is a difference in the pictures than how it looks if you were to go to the house right now.
    Ours still shows the house as it looked before Bobby added the wheelchair ramp and front deck, and has an older vehicle that we had a couple of years back.
    Just download Google Earth, and put in your own address to see what is there.

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Diane Lane

Registered

@Corie Henson Yes, what @Yvonne Smith said ;). The views are taken as a Google car drives by (at least in my understanding), which doesn't happen very often, so it would be difficult to ascertain what the place looks exactly like, since things tend to change over time.

Personally, though, I would love to have a mailbox alert for when the mail is delivered. Oftentimes, I can hear the truck coming down the street, but not always. Back home, the mail is delivered through a mail slot on the front door, and if there are larger pieces, such as magazines, they are placed in a box outside the door. We could always hear the mail slot opening, and the mail dropping to the floor, as well as the mail carrier walking up the stairs and onto / down from the porch, so we didn't have to make needless trips to retrieve the mail. My friend neighbor and I have a 'hack' we use. The lady across the street often puts outgoing mail in her box in the morning, never later, so if her flag is down, we know the mail has been delivered.

Yvonne Smith likes this.