The Beginning Of My Whirlwind Tour.

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Ina I. Wonder, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Good morning friends, it is just past 6:00 am. My dog Izzy always has me up by 5ish. So I thought I would put up a little eye candy for the boys This was our last stop in Colorado. I promised my brother that I would by him a Harley T-shirt in each state we got to. So I took some pictures as well. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Ike Willis and Corie Henson like this.
  2. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Well I think we had what some would call a typical day in the airports. The beggining of the day started out wrong, we had an hour delay because the a/c wouldn't work on the plane at the Colorado Springs AirPort. Then we got to our lay over in Los Angeles, an hour late, so of course missed our connecting flight to San Fransisco. Then it turns out that the LA airport didn't send our baggage along with us. We finally just rented a vehicle, and just went to our hotel. By that time it was 10:00 pm. They said the SF airport would bring all five bags to us today. We'll just have to see. But at this time, all we have is what we're wearing. Wish us luck!!!

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't worry,Ina, you are in good hands, and your bags will catch up to you!;)
    [​IMG]

Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Good morning friends, let's see, yesterday when we woke up, and checked with the hotel office, yea our luggage had arrived in the am. I was worried I would be buying new clothing for both of us.

We started out early thank goodness. Coming from Houston, we thought we knew what heavy traffic was. But, we have nothing on San Fransisco, it's bumper to bumper ALL day long. Today, we are headed out away from the city, we are country girls you know. We want to see the Sacoya red woods today.

Here is a picture of the house where I was born. My step-daughter looked on my birth certificate, and found the address. My friend Krystin thought it was neat that the house is still in great shape, and still occupied. And of course there was the Fisherman's Wharf, and the Golden Gate Bridge. So here are three pictures of those places. I hope to get some good shots of those wonderful trees today.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Ina, that is so awesome that you were able to find the house where your parents lived when you were born ! I am sure that this was a heartwarming experience for you. I have told you how much I loved seeing the old ranch house where my folks lived when I was born, and I just felt a strong connection to the whole property.
    When I had my little trailer house dragged into the woods there and set up, I thought that I would be spending the rest of my life there and would die on the same property where I was born. It was a comforting thought for me, and seemed to help me feel closer to my mom and dad, even though they had long since passed away.

I certainly never would have imagined that I would end up way out here in Alabama like I did. You just never know what life has in store for you sometimes, I guess.

Corie Henson and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

It is very interesting to note of that old house where you were born. It's a wonder to know that a house which is more than 50 years old is still looking good and occupied as you said. So that trip is like going back to your roots, eh?

I didn't know there are sequoia trees in San Francisco area. Thanks for posting the Firsherman's Wharf. My husband would surely be glad to see your photos, it would be a reminiscing for him. It looked like it's not only you who had fun but also your dog. That was a good shot by the golden gate bridge with that typical red oxide color.

So, is that the last leg of your trip? Don't we get to see more pictures?

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  7. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

I was just wondering on this because is a long way by road and particularly troublesome with COPD.

Really cool pics you have been taking along the way, and feeling to going with you through the places as you describe. At least you didn't get bored inside home as you were fearing some months back ;)

Bill Boggs and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  8. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ina I. Wonder You take wonderful pictures, those blue skies are just amazing! I have never had a chance to visit the West Coast and I have to say that the picture you have posted make me wonder if perhaps that is something that I should do? I just don't think that I would care to drive in bumper to bumper traffic.

Was that house you were born in one of the painted ladies? I read once that some of the homes in San Francisco are really quite nice. I like the Queen Ann style and the Victorians. I have read stories where people have gone to their childhood homes and knocked on the door. In some cases the occupants even let them in. Sadly the home I was born in was demolished a few years back. I had a chance to visit it before my father sold it. I did not have warm fuzzy feelings about it. Funny but when we moved I felt like I would miss that house.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  9. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

I have to say, one day in San Fransisco's traffic was enough for the both of us. We will never complain about Houston's traffic again. In Houston you have morning and afternoon traffic, which I do my best to avoid, but here in SF, the traffic is all day long. So no more city for us if image.jpg we can avoid it.

Today we went to see the gigantic Redwood Trees out in the country. We made it a short day, I guess both of us were it bit frazzled. We leave Saturday for Los Vegas. I sure hope this trip goes a bit easier than the last one on Tuesday was.

It was cool to see the house where I first lived, but I'm pretty glad I don't have to walk up or down the very steep sidewalks. I mean really steep. I am amazed they could even build on these hills, and driving is like being on a rollercoaster.

Here's a shot of the young lady traveling with me.

image.jpg

10. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

What a fantastic vacation. I've driven a big part of your trip when a bit younger. It's a trip of a lifetime in my book. Have fun and thanks for the pictures.

Joe Riley and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Great photos, Ina. Have fun!

12. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Hello friends, we are now at the Excalibur Hotel in Las Vegas, and we finally got into our room just after 12:00 am. It is a wild place. These people are doing all sorts of thing to look and act like they do this kind of thing daily. It is a people watching place for sure, and some of the most strange looking people I have ever seen.

I don't know what I'll do here, I not much of a gambler. I actual play poker every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night for three years, and I got very good at it, but I have never been very interested in it.

I brought my friend Krystin here for her 46 birthday. She has never had a trip for just her without her family, so this is a special treat from me to show her some appreciation for all the kindness I have watch her give out to anybody she thinks she can help.

Do any of you know of something we can do outside of Vegas. We are hoping see to the Grand Canyon one of the days, and we will probably go out in at taxi one evening just to see all the light and sites.

Neither of us like San Fransisco, but we loved Colorado, so we plan on going back there after we leave Vegas, befor going home to Houston, which will be on October the 3rd.

I quess I'm not making much sense right now, I'm too tired.

I take some pictures tomorrow to show everyonr.

13. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

That's so sweet of you to plan this trip around your friend in appreciation of her kindness to others. My daughter lives in Denver and loves it. What did you like about Colorado when you were there?

14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Way to go, Ina!;):D:cool:
    [​IMG] Go,get em',Ina!;)
    [​IMG]

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that you will enjoy seeing the Grand Canyon, Ina. I thought it would be way too far for you to drive there; but then Bobby explained that you can take tour of the canyon in an airplane from Vegas; so that make a lot more sense to me.
    I remember seeing Hoover Dam when we were helping a friend move, and I was impressed with the magnificence of the dam.

Many years ago, my first husband, my daughter Robin, and myself took a trip to California, and we had an awesome time. We drove down the Pacific Coast highway, had many excellent views of the ocean, and stopped for the local attractions as we went.
    We took along tents, and we camped overnight at campgrounds, and carried a cooler to make sandwiches; so we did not spend a lot of money other than the gas for the trip.
    We didn't go to the mountains and see the Sequoias; but we did drive through the Coastal Redwoods, and they were awesome to behold.
    Even back then, traffic was horrific, especially when we got to LA to see Disneyland. I think that we were able to take a Disneyland bus from the campground to Disneyland, so we didn't have to drive through that traffic, but even the parts where we did have to drive was bad.

I am looking forward to seeing your pictures from Nevada !

Joe Riley likes this.