The Bahamas Disaster!

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Holly Saunders, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh dear lord look at this..... upload_2019-9-6_16-21-53.gif with pictures...and video :eek:

Bahamian officials have warned the Hurricane Dorian death toll could be 'staggering' as hundreds and possibly thousands are believed to still be missing from the Abaco and Grand Bahama islands. The government has deployed extra security to the northern islands Thursday amid reports of looting and violence. One woman broke down in tears as she revealed: 'Everything is gone, people are starting to panic. Pillaging, looting, trying to shoot people for food and water. It's just no way everyone's going to get out.' Witnesses have described seeing residents breaking into liquor stores and supermarkets, carrying off goods in bags or filling their vehicles. The death count climbed to 30 on Thursday but is expected to rise today. There are reports of piles of corpses. It became clear yesterday that the Bahamas is facing a humanitarian crisis in the wake of Hurricane Dorian as up to 70,000 people are in need of 'life-saving assistance'. A massive international relief effort was ramped up as the extent of the damage wrought by Dorian came into focus through satellite images and harrowing accounts from survivors. Evacuation efforts were underway at the partly flooded Leonard M. Thompson airport on Abaco island as small planes picked up the most vulnerable survivors, including the sick and the elderly. The evacuation was slow and there was frustration for some who said they had nowhere to go after the Category 5 hurricane splintered whole neighbourhoods.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...devastated-Bahamas-wake-Hurricane-Dorian.html

[​IMG]

These poor, poor people, this is one of the most major disasters I've ever seen , and I hope every country in the world, responds to the needs of these people ... this is just heartbreaking !!

R.I.P all those who have lost their lives !! I wish I could give a home to all of the survivors ! :(:(

2. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

And not a word in the English papers about are British colony about it

DISCUSTING

3. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Tom Galty That is really hard to believe! I'm sure all countries plan to pitch in, but one would think the UK would take the forefront, especially since, I believe, Queen Elizabeth's face is on their currency. I'm surprised they don't already have relief ships and planes on the way. How disappointing.

@Holly Saunders Thanks for a very thoughtful thread. Most of the Bahamas income is derived from tourism, so they have some tough times ahead.

Tom Galty and Holly Saunders like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Sean Connery, famous for evading danger as suave spy James Bond, considers himself lucky to have survived one real-life disaster.

The actor, who turned 89 last month, told the Daily Mail he and his wife Micheline Roquebrune rode out Hurricane Dorian from their home in the Bahamas.

The devastating hurricane left the former 007 agent shaken, but still alive.

LINK

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Bess Barber likes this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

@Tom Galty ...it is in the British Papers...the link I gave was to the Daily Mail... and the telegraph has a big piece on it too..and yes indeed @Bess Barber our ships ad planes are already there first on the scene delivering aid..as you can see by this video...

Bobby Cole and Bess Barber like this.
  6. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I'm an American and am proud to know we will do all we can to help these people. I also suspect Canada will play a big role. They are always generous.

In addition, so will Israel. They get a bad rap a lot, so I like showing their humanitarian efforts since the mainstream media won't.

The Israeli NGO announced yesterday evening that it will send an emergency response team to distribute urgent relief supplies, offer psychological first aid, and deploy water filters to restore access to drinking water. The team also will conduct further needs assessments in affected communities.

IsraAID reports that in 2018, its emergency response teams reached 26,300 people with safe water, psychological and community support, and relief following nine disasters in seven countries.

https://www.israel21c.org/israaid-sends-emergency-support-to-hurricane-devastated-bahamas/

images - 2019-09-06T190241.910.jpeg