The Adventures Of The Wilderness Family

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Some of you may remember this series of movies, produced in 1975 (The Adventures of the Wilderness Family), 1978 (Adventures of the Wilderness Family 2 aka The Further Adventures of the Wilderness Family), and 1979 (Adventures of the Wilderness Family 3, aka Mountain Family Robinson).

It's an improbable story of a Los Angeles family who decides to relocate to somewhere in the mountains. I don't think it's clear on just where it is that they moved, but I think it's somewhere in the Canadian wilderness, where the only access is by plane.

These former city dwellers do quite well in the forest, largely because pretty much all of the animals are friendly, and they have somehow learned the skills to survive alone in the wilderness. The second day, they adopt a couple of bear cubs, who get along fine with the dog, the adult raccoon who they adopted the first day, and their dog. Plus an adult bear that visits from time to time. They do have a backstory for that. Oh yeah, on the third day, a couple of cougar cubs follow them home. Mother cougar does kick a little butt when the father of the family carries the cubs back to their den, but no real harm is done.

It's an easy life for them, as they spend most of their time picking flowers and rescuing animals.

It's a very watchable series of movies, which are particularly kid-friendly in the way that few movies are anymore. It's an easy watch, featuring a nice family with good scenery. Unless you've never seen a tree, though, you'll recognize that it's not going to happen like that.

There is some drama, but much of it could have been avoided if they didn't let their very young children wander around in the wilderness before they even knew their way around. No one dies, however.

Nevertheless, I like them. I have seen all three of them a couple of times in my life, and am watching them again. They are adorable movies, the kind that makes me feel good. I am streaming them but just ordered the DVDs.

adventures.jpg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018