The 12-hour Shift Is Injurious To Health

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Corie Henson, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have seen an article in a magazine that says working for 12 hours regularly is not good for the health because it is a physical abuse to the body not to mention that it also affects the mind especially if the job is stressful. I am glad that I work in a bank because factory workers usually work in 12-hour shifts. Another job in that genre is the security guard although it is not stressful unlike factory workers because company guards are just there like a decoration although their life is endangered when there is a break-in or a commotion.

For seniors, I guess 12 hours of daily work is not applicable.

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't work in a factory, but I work a regular 12 hour day and almost the whole time on my feet and I'm over 60. I'm now thinking seriously of retiring in the very near future because it has affected my physical health quite badly... I don't want to leave work but I feel I have no choice !

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

Although that isn't the case everywhere, many paramedics and EMTs work 24-hours shifts and yes, while we get to sleep in between calls, there are plenty of shifts where there is no time in between shifts. Then think of this. If your relief doesn't make it the following morning for some reason, you could be working an even longer shift, although generally you'd be last out, giving you some time for sleep.

I have had some 24-hour shifts where I didn't take a single call, instead sitting around watching television, reading, and getting plenty of sleep, but I have also had plenty of them in which I would sleep on my way to the next call, not while I was driving of course.

Before that, while I worked in paper bag plants, I worked eight-hour shifts but, since machine adjusters could work as much overtime as they wanted, I'd frequently work ten to twelve hours, and there were plenty of times in which I'd have to work double shifts.

You can do that when you're young, but it gets harder when you're older. Then again, I was thirty before I began working EMS, and I was a paramedic for more than twenty years.

4. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

For a couple years I drove a taxi, 12 hour shifts. I drove nights, so I got in some sleep time between runs. Had factory jobs where I often worked 10 hour days, 6-7 days a week.