That Pink Clock Radio And Other Random Memories

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Beth Gallagher, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

When I was about 12 or 13, I wanted a clock radio more than anything. All my friends had them and I was green with envy. I couldn't imagine the thrill of being awakened by "Last Train to Clarksville" or some other fabulous tunes of that time. Christmastime rolled around and lo and behold, the Pink Clock Radio appeared under the tree. I think that was one of the best gifts I ever got, and I wish I still had that thing.

Share a memory with us, good or bad.

2. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

8-10 yrs. old - Bunk Bed (never had a brother to share with) no got's

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Joe Smith

Registered

10-11 yrs. old - Go Cart (misbehaved) No cart!

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Joe Smith

Registered

12 yrs. old - Mini-Bike (something went wrong) Continued walking.

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I remember when my teenage older brother (who had tormented me for years) got a part time job a the local newspaper. He planned to be a news writer which never panned out, but I digress. When Christmas rolled around, he gave me a big fancy wrapped package and I was stunned; I suppose having some money in his pocket for a change made him a bit more magnanimous with his baby sister. I ripped open the present; it was a plush stuffed animal... a gray poodle with a red ribbon around its neck. I was so thrilled; mostly that I got a gift from my bro.

Hmmm. I need to move on to memories other than "gifts."

Tony Page, Bobby Cole and Faye Fox like this.
  6. Joe Smith

Registered

1st hamburger I had ever eaten (great memory) Not a "gift" paid for tomorrow!

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I was a little girl, my mom got me a little black stuffed Poodle toy (maybe why I have always loved Poodles ?), and I took that dog with me everywhere, at least everywhere that a toy dog could be taken along.
    My mom bought “Jingles” a little red leather harness and leash, and Jingles could then hop along beside me on her leash. I am pretty sure that she slept with me also, although I remember having a big teddy bear , too.

70112F2E-54D1-4728-A285-32ADE66AFA02.jpeg

8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, thanks a lot, Beth! Now that stupid tune is playing over and over in my head and won't stop! After my rattlesnake encounter yesterday, a bat dropping out of my tree in front of my mower then getting shredded a couple of days earlier, and now this "Last Train to Clarksville" looping in my head, I may be taking a fast train to the nuthouse. None of this is helping my OCD and PTSD.

So many memories but one favorite was buying my first electric guitar at age 13. It was an old turquoise Kay that looked like new. One of the neighboring very old vaquero ranch hands taught me to play a flat-picking Malaguena on it. All was well until I was given an old amp that I repaired. Nothing like blasting a Ventures tune, "Walk Don't Run," that made me feel powerful until I was banned from the house and served my time playing in an unattached old garage/shop, 50 yards from the house, that was unheated and used for storage. It was an icebox in the winter until I installed a coal heater and a sweatshop in the summer, but it was Faye's studio (as written on the door along with no trespassing admission by appointment only) and I was proud. It was those hot summer days that were the catalyst for me playing guitar while wearing a bikini and led to learning California surf instrumentals and once playing on the California beach when my Great Auntie entered me in a battle of the bands with some local girls.
    FF color 22.jpg
    I remember my first paying gig at age 16, August 1966. I was the owner of a new Fender Duo-Sonic. All girls (except me) were crazy about the Monkees. especially Mike Nesbith and our drummer insisted on learning some of their tunes. I knew the Last Train to Clarksville because I had learned it right after it came out.

So the first song I played for pay was "The Last Train To Clarksville." Thanks for jogging that memory, Beth. @Beth Gallagher was your pink clock radio tube or transistor?

Here is my first radio 1957. A one transistor kit I built myself under my dad's watchful eye. With a long wire strung from the barn to my room, I fell asleep every night listening to the big powerful AM stations all over the USA and Mexico.
    TranMidg.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    Joe Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I found a picture of what my clock radio looked like. I had forgotten about even having one until Beth mentioned her pink clock radio.
    I remember having a little Disney Cinderella watch, too, and I think I liked that better than the Mickey Mouse clock radio.

C2A9B8E2-FD47-4301-8D59-24EEC9BA1484.jpeg

10. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

This is exactly like my first and only clock radio. A high school graduation gift from my uncle. It was rather large and had great sound. Multiple tubes.

upload_2021-4-28_10-4-17.png

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, I'm happy to provide ear worms, Faye!!

My pink clock radio was tube I suppose; it had to be plugged in and sat on my "bookcase" bed right above my head. :D

Joe Smith and Faye Fox like this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I don't have a picture of my Pink Clock Radio, but it was similar to this one, a GE.

[​IMG]

Joe Riley, Joe Smith and Faye Fox like this.
  13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Those old clock radios reminded my of the crystal radio pen I had:

[​IMG]

-No batteries.
    -Put in the earpiece.
    -Clip the red alligator clip to anything that would be an antenna (like our hot water baseboard radiators.)
    -Slide the silver rod in & out to tune in a station.

14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Did it have to warm up or did it come on instantly?

15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I had this same crystal set in a rocket shape.

John Brunner likes this.