That Occasional Recollection From School

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Frank Sanoica, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

This time the word "Ganymede" popped into my head. I remember it being discussed in Science class in grade school. I thought it had to do with Space. It did:

"Ganymede /ˈɡænᵻmiːd/[12] (Jupiter III) is the largest moon of Jupiter and in the Solar System, and the only moon known to have a magnetic field. It is the seventh satellite outward from Jupiter[13] and third of the Galilean moons, the first group of objects discovered orbiting another planet."

Get this:
    Ganymede is composed of approximately equal amounts of silicate rock and water ice.[16] It is a fully differentiated body with an iron-rich, liquid core, and an internal ocean that may contain more water than all of Earth's oceans combined.

Galileo first observed it in 1610. There is an astounding amount of info about Ganymede here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganymede_(moon)

No idea why or how these "imponderables" besiege me. Maybe my wife is right. I may be crazy. But I just may be the looonatic she was looking for. (Billy Joel).
    Frank

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

In the other thread about your dream of the rat and mice, I said that your wife is wrong in saying you are a nut. But this time I have to agree with your wife that you are crazy. For what sense is it to think of Ganymede where in the first place you cannot even see it in close up? But in fairness to you, it looks like you are looking for a brain exercise that would perk up your senses. But I would suggest that you put your effort into more sensible things than Jupiter's moon. And why so? Jupiter has many moons so after posting about Ganymede, the other moons may follow in your thoughts. I think it's better if you think about the stars, huh. I mean.. movie stars.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I rarely recollect anything from school actually. One funny thing that stands out though was in 11th grade..We were doing dialogues in French. I kept pronoucing the first dialogue as a short u sound as un. My French teacher kept correcting me. I will tell you today, that I pronounce that word now like a native French speaker. I would like to credit my teacher, but actually, I just think I have heard it pronounced so many times now, it has stuck in my brain!

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I got straight A's in French in high school. I started French 1 in 8th grade and by senior year I was in French 5.

Did I get the A's because I was smart or the fact that my teacher was Hungarian born and knew I could speak Hungarian and often spoke it with me. He also pulled me out of other classes to grade papers for him. :)