Thailand Train Trip

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Richard Paradon, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

Today was a beautiful morning and instead of walking, I figured I'd do a bit of traveling. So when my morning walking buddy Mike showed up I told him that it is time we went for a little train ride. He is a cool friend and agreed although he had no idea where we were going. The last time I was on a train was when Amtrak ran from Los Angeles to Las Vegas so it has been a long time.

We started from here, the Pattaya Train Station.

[​IMG]

There are no snack cars on the train so if you want water and a bit of food to eat, you can buy it here at the station.

[​IMG]

As there is no specific "r" or "l" in the Thai language, I thought this sign was a noble attempt!

[​IMG]

All aboard! The power was a diesel engine.

[​IMG]

Trains are not too popular in Thailand so they are a bit run down, but I loved it. We sat in 3rd class as that was all that was available. Mike is a big man so he was comfortable.

[​IMG]

The trip was only about an hour each way but as you can see from the ticket, the price was a mere 6 Baht which is about 18 cents US!

[​IMG]

These are a few shots I took out the window during the ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The destination did not have too much to offer and we only had about two hours before the train went back but we did find a place to have coffee and a bite to eat.

[​IMG]

duplicate pic, not sure how to get rid of it. Please ignore and go on...
    [​IMG]

As usual, my wandering spirit hit me and I took off for a little bit and found these great old passenger cars that have been out of service for years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And as I tramped around in the jungle a little bit, I found this great and very old discarded spirit house. From looking at it, I'd say it was about fifty years or more old.

[​IMG]

So, it was a fun day and after the New Years' celebration is over I will go somewhere else.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

Richard, thanks for posting!! What a wonderful little adventure. I hate to say this, I don't want to sound like the typical American bigot - but everything is so clean, bright and pretty. It's absolutely beautiful there. You have a very lovely place to call home.

Again, thanks for posting - would love to see more of Thailand!!

Richard Paradon likes this.
  3. Allie Seay

Allie Seay Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, that was a treat. I particularly liked the looks of the coffee house and the shot of the house (?) with all the greenery in the foreground and the water with the mountains beyond. Looks like you and your friend had a pleasant day.

4. Richard Paradon

Registered

There are some places that are not that clean but mostly Thailand is a clean environment. I have a feeling there are more foreigners (not this one) who liter than Thai's.

5. Richard Paradon

Registered

Thanks, Allie! The next time I go to the jungle I will take a lot of photos. This is a picture (not very good one) of my home in the jungle. Very rustic but peaceful beyond imagination!

[​IMG]

Allie Seay likes this.
  6. Allie Seay

Allie Seay Veteran Member
    Registered

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That was very interesting, Richard, and I loved the look of the countryside ! It seems like it would be a very comfortable area to live in, and many of the signs also were in English as well. I think that would be a great help for foreigners who decide to move there and live.
    You took some great pictures !

8. Richard Paradon

Registered

LOL, jungles are cool! and sometimes safer than life in the city. Different areas, different animals!

9. Richard Paradon

Registered

Thanks Yvonne! It really is a beautiful place to stay in. If things go my way today, I will have my camera back and will start snapping as I have promised.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Lydia Williams

Lydia Williams Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks so much for sharing! :D They're lovely photos, and it was nice to be able to have a look at Thailand. I've never been there, but with these, I could live vicariously through you.

11. Richard Paradon

Registered

I am happy you enjoyed them , Lydia! I now have a new smart phone and plan to take a lot more pics in the future, but at them moment Song Kran (Thailand New Years and Water Festival) just started and I don't want it to get wet!