Tesla Electric Automobiles

Discussion in 'Energy & Fuel' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

There will never be a long-term inexpensive source of energy. Given that governments and companies (which in many cases are the same thing) know what we are willing to pay for energy, the price for whatever sources of energy might be developed will eventually be raised to the levels that we are willing to pay, or taxed so that you are paying that amount. Once electric powered cars become more of a norm, we'll find that charging stations will be charging us roughly the same amount of money (per mile) to recharge our cars as we are currently paying for gasoline. Look at the price of gasoline. Given that gas prices have been going down here for the past couple of years, every legislative session someone introduces a bill to raise the tax on gasoline. Since they know that we are willing to pay more for gasoline than what the gasoline is currently costing us, they want to collect that in taxes instead. Of course, once the price of gasoline goes up again, the extra taxes will never be rescinded.

Terry Page and Sheldon Scott like this.
  2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yesterday, a film director approach my husband for a chat. The director's son in Orange County (CA) has a reservation for Tesla Car at $70k. The son would sell his BMW when the Tesla arrives. It is a clean car because it is full electric, no noise either. But my husband has apprehension on the availability of charging stations. Besides, unlike the gasoline where you can fill up in 5 or 10 minutes, the electric car needs hours to gain a full charge. But since the film director is very proud of his son, whatever apprehension was ignored and he talks as if the Tesla car is perfect.

I will post an update here when I get some news on that Tesla car of the film director's son.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  3. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

He is an electric car made in Canada.

4. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

If only electric car manufacturers could do away with the batteries and siphon the cars power electronically from the overhead power lines that are everywhere.

Terry Page likes this.
  5. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Or just plug it into your neighbors house

Terry Page and Ike Willis like this.
  6. Ike Willis

Registered

I believe it was Nikola Tesla who thought he could transmit electrical power through the air without wires, like radio waves. Had he succeeded, an electric car could run without batteries. Only then would an electric vehicle be very practical, IMO.

7. Ken N Louis

Ken N Louis Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Ike Willis With electronics being invented, in this day and age, it won't be long..I do believe that the auto/oil companies will buy out any new inventions!! But I hope someone will resist!!

If someone can invent a charger that would work on motion of the vehicle that might work!!
    1912 Detroit Electric car
    . hh.jpg

8. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Nikola Tesla car was a pierce arrow that ran with a antenna and a black box which disappeared on his death.

Ike Willis likes this.
  9. Ike Willis

Registered

I use a mobility scooter to get around the downtown area where I live. When I'm going down a hill steep enough to overcome any power output of the motor, the motor acts as a charger, putting some power back into the batteries. It does that also when I let up on the throttle to stop. I bought a PaceSaver by Leisure lift. It's American made and built to perform well on hills. And where I live, everything is on a hill.

18030.jpg

10. Ike Willis

Registered

In 1917 there was being built a car called the Woods dual powered auto. It had a 4 cylinder gas engine in front and batteries in the rear to power an electric motor. It you ran out of gas, you could still get home.:)

79d50c640a83e39cdecec20ae07803d2.jpg 13.jpg