Terrorist Attack - London

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Patsy Faye, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't know the details yet - but sounds very bad ............................

2. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

DEVELOPING – Two people have died after a terror incident that saw a police officer stabbed, and as many as a dozen people run over outside London's Parliament building on Wednesday. many buildings including Parliament are locked down in case there are more than one assailants involve

fox

3. Patsy Faye

Registered

4 people have died (one, the terrorist) who was shot
    20 with bad injuries
    I cried watching it, so very sad, so pointless

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is always a terrible thing to have happen. I hope you are not anywhere close to that attack, @Patsy Faye ? The news clip that I looked at showed a picture of the shooter being taken away, and he was not bleeding and only had a little bandage on his side; so I wonder why he died ?
    They also showed a picture of the knife he had, and there was not even any blood on it, which seemed strange to me, too. I guess there will be more information to come out as time progresses.

5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh @Patsy Faye , I just saw this. I hope your extended family are safe. This is so wrong!!! Sometimes I do wonder what good these terrorists think will come out of such hatred. Now, all we can do is pray.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  6. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

7. Yvonne Smith

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  8. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I seen that just a few minuites ago on our morning news, its terrible news when people can't go about their daily lives without being threatened,killed or injured by terrorists

9. Patsy Faye

Registered

Seems he was born here and influenced by IS
    Police arrested 7 people last night linked to this incident
    Our wish would be to deport the lot of them, we have left things far too late of course, too many
    over here now :(
    That's the thing that shocks me the most !
    Terrorism in 'any' country is upsetting to put it mildly and I do wonder if we will ever overcome it
    It has been allowed to grow and fester, just as the issue with drugs - another ongoing menace of destruction :(

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Glad to hear that your Family made it safely through the terrorist incidence @Patsy Faye!

Patsy Faye likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Looks like a car and knife are enough to kill people and I don't understand how the guard who was armed died?

Did it happen so quickly that he didn't have time to draw his weapon?

Does anyone know? I didn't watch the whole breaking news about it so maybe I have something wrong.

12. Yvonne Smith

I wondered about that part, too, @Chrissy Cross . It was another one (or more) of the guards who shot the attacker, and it said that the knife was almost a foot long (9-10"), and some called it a machete, so it was definitely large enough for the guard to see, and the guy was running towards parliament, according to the story.
    The picture that you posted where it shows the shooter being taken away in a stretcher with just a small bandage on his side and no blood, also shows the knives laying on the ground, and no blood on either of them.
    It looks like that picture was taken outside closer to where the car was crashed, and not inside where the guard was stabbed; so maybe they moved the knives and him before the picture was taken.
    Perhaps either @Patsy Faye or @Holly Saunders might have heard more about how the whole attack went down since they are both over there closer to where it happened and would have more local news about it than we got ?

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

The attack on the guard was after driving and killing people on the bridge, right? I would think the guard would already have heard something was going on and at least had his hand on his gun...even drawn.

I can understand a knife killing an unarmed person but I would think that between a knife and a gun, gun wins.

Also, wasn't there another guard nearby? I would think after the first stab wound, the other guard would shoot the terrorist.

I don't mean to imply anything negative on the poor guard who lost his life, I just don't understand how it happened.

It's possible, anything is...just what stands out the most in all of this.

It's also very scary to see how easy it is to kill a bunch of people with a car.

Our bigger cities have such crowds everywhere, Londoners were lucky that more people weren't killed

@Yvonne Smith , I deleted that pic yesterday because the tweet misnamed the terrorist but your are right...no blood on either knife and you wouldn't wipe it off because it's evidence.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

This is what we know.... from the telegraph...

It was the terrorist attack that police and security services always feared, but hoped would never come. A man, dressed all in black, drove a car at 50mph the full length of Westminster Bridge, aiming deliberately at pedestrians and cyclists.

The bodies were scattered in his wake. One woman died after she was hit and thrown under the wheels of a bus; another woman was struck as she walked past a stand selling postcards to tourists. She lay on the ground under the shadow of Big Ben, blood pouring from the wound in her head and seeping into cracks in the pavement.

The driver of the Hyundai 4x4 then crashed the vehicle into the iron railings that surround the Palace of Westminster, hitting at least two more pedestrians. He leapt from the car and ran around the corner, brandishing a kitchen knife, eight inches long.

Hundreds of tourists and workers, panicked into a “stampede”, ran for their lives while, the attacker, now on foot, headed for Parliament Square and pushed past police officers at the barrier to New Palace Yard. Just within the entrance he slashed and stabbed at an unarmed policeman, who would later die of his wounds.

It was only then that the marauder was stopped in his tracks as, at just after 2.40pm, a plain clothes officer, possibly a minister’s personal bodyguard or a member of the security services, pulled out his pistol and fired two, possibly three, shots into the intruder’s chest.

Terror had struckat the very heart of Britain and its Government.

The Prime Minister, Theresa May, had been due to leave the House of Commons for the short drive to Downing Street when the attack happened.

Police said last night five were confirmed dead: the terrorist, the policeman and three people killed on the bridge. At least 40 more were injured, several of them critically. The death toll, it was feared, would rise.

“This is a day that we had planned for – that we all hoped would never happen – but sadly it is now a reality,” said Acting Deputy Commissioner, Mark Rowley, who is in overall charge of Britain’s Counter Terrorism Police.

“At first I thought the car had lost balance, but he was going in and coming back in a zig-zag, he did it about three times,” said Ismail Hassan, 45, who was riding his motorbike on Westminster Bridge when he saw the £30,000 grey Hyundai Santa Fe – registered in Chelmsford, Essex – career towards him. “When he got to the shop he started hitting people, driving into people. The car was hitting people on the pavement,” he said.

“The third time [he zig-zagged] there was a guy who collapsed in the middle of the road. He wasn’t moving at all. At first we didn’t know what was happening, it took less than 10 seconds.

“It was six or seven people injured that I saw with my own eyes.”

Mr Hassan attempted to hold people back as an ambulance was called. “I’m sickened, I don’t know what’s going on,” he said.

One victim was seen trapped under the rear wheel of a bus. A junior doctor later confirmed the worst. Colleen Anderson at St Thomas’ Hospital said a female pedestrian had died. “I confirmed one fatality. A woman. She was under the wheel of a bus. She died, confirmed her death at the scene.” Dr Anderson added: “There were people across the bridge. There were some with minor injuries, some catastrophic.”

Radek Sikorski, Poland’s former foreign minister and now a senior fellow at the Harvard Centre for European Studies, posted a video on Twitter showing people lying injured. The horrifying images were some of the first posted on the internet.

“I heard what I thought was just a collision and then I looked through the window of the taxi and [saw] someone down, obviously in great distress,” said Mr Sikorski. “Then I saw a second person down, and I started filming, then I saw three more people down, one of them bleeding profusely.”

Another eyewitness told of seeing a body floating “face-down” in the Thames below. It wasn’t clear if the woman he had seen in the river had been hit by the car and tossed over the bridge or had jumped into the water to avoid being hit. She was pulled out alive and given urgent medical treatment.

Another body could be seen lying at the foot of the stairwell that leads up to the bridge from the river footpath. The victim had either jumped or was flung on to the rain-soaked paving slabs below.

Later, a white and blue scene of crime tent was pitched over the body and a stretcher brought to the scene. The victim would have been one of the first to be hit.

Back on the bridge, three French schoolboys on a trip to London had been critically injured. “Three of us were hit, we didn't know if they are dead or not,” said the group’s teacher. “I cannot speak anymore, I don’t know what to say.”

One of the group of 10 – a young teenage girl – sat and wept openly on a bench a few hundred yards from the scene of devastation and destruction.

She was wrapped in a foil blanket and being comforted by fellow pupils.

Martin Pearce, 32, filmed the aftermath. “There is blood everywhere,” he said. “I don’t know why I’m crying but people have been shot or stabbed all over the place.”

In truth, what he had witnessed was the result of a car used as a weapon.

Police officers were also hit and injured. They had been walking along the bridge, having just come from a commendation ceremony. One of the group, who was in his thirties, suffered a head injury. He was being treated last night at King’s College Hospital, south London. The hospital said it was treating eight patients in total, two of them critical.

After perhaps 10 seconds, the Hyundai had come to a halt just off the bridge; the driver, deliberately or otherwise, having crashed into the railings in opposite parliamentary offices in Portcullis House.

Eyewitnesses had described how the bearded man, said to be of Asian appearance and in his forties, had then leapt from the car. But his attack was far from over. Rick Longley, 50, a health and safety manager from Tunbridge Wells, Kent, recalled: “He got out the car. I was standing next to the policeman right at the entrance where Big Ben is right behind you.

“There was a car crash and all the crowd surged around the corner. I couldn’t work out why they were surging.

“But as the crowd surged, this guy with a beard came over my shoulder, brushed me and then he got a huge knife and was plunging it into the policeman. He was literally with a huge knife plunging it into this guy.”

Frazer Clarke, 25, said the attacker had two knives. “The police officer was stumbling and fell on the floor.” Katie Marthini, who was on holiday and visiting Westminster, said: “We heard four shots. It was in the enclosure next to Big Ben. I was next to it. I didn’t see what happened next, it’s terrifying we ran. Everyone was running.”

Jayne Wilkinson, another tourist, said: “We were taking photos of Big Ben and we saw all the people running towards us, and then there was an Asian guy in about his forties carrying a knife about seven or eight inches long,” she said.

“There were three shots fired, and then we crossed the road and looked over. The man was on the floor with blood. He had a lightweight jacket on, dark trousers and a shirt. He was running through those gates, towards Parliament, and the police were chasing.”

Her partner, David Turner, added: “There was a stampede of people running out. You saw the people and you thought ‘what the hell is going on’.”

Journalists had witnessed the events too.

Gordon Rayner, The Daily Telegraph political editor, said: “A man who appeared to be carrying a knife, who had got around 25 yards inside the gates, was rushing towards a policeman who pulled a pistol and fired three shots into his chest from around six feet away.

“Knocked off his feet by the impact of the bullets, he fell backwards on to the cobbles.”

Quentin Letts, The Daily Mail’s parliamentary sketch writer, said: “I saw a thick-set man in black clothes come through the gates ... he had something in his hand, it looked like a stick of some sort, and he was challenged by a couple of policemen in yellow jackets.

“And one of the yellow-jacketed policemen fell down and we could see the man in black moving his arm in a way that suggested he was stabbing or striking the yellow-jacketed policeman.” He added: “As this attacker was running towards the entrance two plain-clothed guys with guns shouted at him what sounded like a warning, he ignored it and they shot two or three times and he fell.”

I've copied the whole thing from the telegraph because I'm not sure anyone outside the uk can access the website... but if you can
    Videos are here...

Patsy Faye and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Ok, so the policeman that died was unarmed, I get it now.