Temperature Check

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Von Jones, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

No cicadas around here and mosquitoes under control with the long drought.

I remember those long muggy nights in East Texas at relatives with a small fan blowing over a sweat wet bed while wide-open windows that let in sounds of cicadas, dogs barking, wildlife rustling around, a few mosquitoes, the smell of skunk, and sounds of tin roofs and metal cans cooling and popping. I slept with my sheet over my head and my pillow pushed against my ears. It was a horror show with my asthmatic cousin, on the bed over, snoring loudly, then gasping for breath. She fell fast asleep after telling me scary stories about a crazy man that roamed the woods. Sometimes the itching from chigger bites on my upper legs and the smell of the sulfur caked on the bites would distract me and I would actually fall asleep before dawn.

I can sympathize with your annoying predicament.

Von Jones and Nancy Hart like this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Wet T-shirts! Sounds like fun @Mary Stetler .;)

Ann France likes this.
  3. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

In the 30s at night and high 50s during the day right now. Leaves are beginning to change color.

Faye Fox and Von Jones like this.
  4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Blush:rolleyes:

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Just barely into September, and it is 63 degrees here at 8AM. We had a cold, wet summer this year (compared to usual summer weather here), and now it seems like we are rushing right into fall already.
    Supposed to warm up to 84 by later today, and it looks like that is about how we are going to be this month.

6. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It was 47 two mornings ago, a high of 65 in the afternoon. Brrr, I hate it. Not as cold this morning but I have the furnace on anyway. Had the room heater on in the bedroom the last two nights.

I miss the hot muggy weather. Will probably not see it again for 9 months or so. :(

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Not any mosquitoes this year which is very unuaul for Flroda. But ants are really bad.I have lots of ant bites could hardly sleep for itching. I got up at 5am itching like crazy tore off bed clothes mattress woke hubby looking in horror for bed bugs [ also thinking what the heck not a good first time for this one] thinking maybe its that but no signs so its not that yet ants on porch and where I sit in living room.Sometimes I don't know they stung me. Which is again unusaul.
    Never had this happen. Maybe all the rain that never stops this year is bringing them out of their beds?
    Temp here is about 89 but will get to 89.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Still cool and rainy here, but only one light frost so far. Night temps into the 40s F. and highs into the high 50s or low 60s , although it got up to 68 F. yesterday.

Yvonne Smith and Bruce Andrew like this.
  9. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Where abouts are you in Alaska? Native to the state?

10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Nope, moved here from Georgia 32 years ago. I live about 60 miles north of Anchorage. Lived in the Bush when I first moved here, but moved onto the road system in 1992.

Bruce Andrew likes this.
  11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Never really had ants bad and only around the kitchen window sill. I poured some Avon Skin So Soft original scent on the window sill and never had a problem since.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Registered

We haven't either this is another new for us. Ant bites outside working in the yard is one thing but never been stung by an ant in the house.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Marie Mallery

Here in the Desert we are supposed to watch out for scorpions, rattle snakes, and the like, but in 10 years here we have only seen two scorpions, and only a harmless snake once out by the pool.

Ants are another thing, however. The worst are very tiny, hardly an eighth of an inch long, and are busy outdoors in underground nests noticeable only by small heaps of dirt with a tiny entrance hole. They are attracted to sugar and fat. We have had large numbers invade the house on several occasions. Once, I found a kitchen cabinet full of them, hundreds, attracted to the dribblings on the outside of a bottle of olive oil. Another time, they completely covered the sponge used to wash dishes. Gotten on the body, they can bite like the devil!

My wife's mother, visiting once, came running out of the bedroom, where she had been eating a cheesy snack, with ants biting her all over! The worst thing about these is their small size, hardly visible down on the floor, or at a distance, unless great in number.

Frank

Marie Mallery likes this.
  14. Marie Mallery

Registered

Ants musst be running out of food or something. I know last few nights I had no sleep for itching And we sprayed mopped again so far no new ants or bites.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  15. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Marie Mallery

Our tiny ants I think are Pharoh Ants.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharaoh_ant

Their bites are somewhat painful, then itchy, but the effect lasts a fairly short time, less than an hour. My wife tried "baits" which supposedly get carried back to their nest and destroy it. She refuses to try the method again, due to the huge number of ants attracted to the baits.

Frank

Marie Mallery likes this.