Tell Me What You Had For Lunch Today

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Bill Boggs, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I do not have a vocabulary sufficient to tell you what a outstanding lunch I had. I would not expect my friends from across the pond in England to understand. Even in our own northern states many of these good folks may not be able to understand what an experience it is to set down to a meal, hungary from days of plain, boring sandwiches, a meal of homemade buscuits and good grease gravy and JD hot sausage What an absolute delight. Some of my southern coharts will know exactly what I ham talking about. A good chaser for food this satisfying is a nap in a cool darkened room. What pleasure! Oh, my Lord what a day.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

....seems you never sausage a good meal, Bill!;)

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

You definitely sound like you've had an enjoyable day Bill... lets' hope for many more.. :D

4. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

Is grease gravy watery like redeye gravy or is it a thickened gravy?

Frank Sanoica and Joe Riley like this.
  5. Bill Boggs

Registered

Cream gravy. I like the red eye but I was talking about cream gravy for lunch, made with the left over grease from cooking sausage. If done right both do a hot biscuit justice. Some would say red eye is made from the drippings of ham. Me, myself , well we are not so restrictive.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Joe Riley likes this.
  6. Beatrice Taylor

Registered

Cream gravy is my preference also but a salty syrupy red eye can be good too!

My grandmother used to make cream gravy with small cubes of leftover boiled potatoes added to it creamed potatoes are great with fried ham.

She also made cream gravy with bacon fat that had been saved from previous meals, served over baked potatoes or toast.

Sad to say that my gravy days are mostly behind me, literally behind me!!!

7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Re: Gravies.

Gravy is an absolute staple in the Slavic culture (at least the Slavs from whom I'm descended!). Poles and Czechs are both intimately intertwined with expert gravy-making. My Mother, Czech through and through, made her gravies from various beginning stuffs. A roast pork, for example, dribbled large amounts of fat and darkened materials settled to the bottom (I have never had those identified), captured in the baking dish.

Such pork gravy was used as-is spread over dough dumplings. Cream-style gravies, created using flour, butter, and exquisite ingredients like fresh Dill-weed, were the essence of a meal containing chicken. Dill gravy was also often used over dumplings, over fresh toast in the morning for a hungry school-kid, or over freshly prepared meat after having been "left over".

Frank

9. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

10. Beatrice Taylor

Registered

@Frank Sanoica , gravy was a staple in many places around the world.

I always liked this saying about Yorkshire pudding with gravy: ''Them that eats the most pudding gets the most meat.''

By the time you filled up on the pud', you didn't have room for the meat!

Bill Boggs and Frank Sanoica like this.
  11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs ..I also, know exactly what you are talking about. We both grew up on such cooking, but because it is so bad for us I rarely make
    cream gravy. Hubby wants it when I fry up chicken fried steak...Noooo, not today. Really good in winter time with them there biscuits made from scratch.And finish off with buttered biscuit and some honey.:) Heavenly food ;)

12. Bill Boggs

Registered

@Gloria Mitchell I used to have that chicken fried steak more often but like you say, it's bad for us so it don't happen much anymore. However I did have a wonderful lunch today. I'm on two meals a day. a three hundred or three-fifty calorie breakfast, a good late lunch around three-thirty or four, and maybe a light snake if I didn't eat to much lunch. Sometime I have a lucerna drink if I'm real hungry in the evenings. I've been eating a lot of sandwiches at lunch for lunch. Liverworts and cheese sandwiches, one or one and a half if I've had a light breakfast. My room mate has about given up cooking. We were throwing so much food out, over cooked, under cooked, burnt from mainly forgetting stuff was in the oven, or stovetop. We quit the outside gas grill last year. two years ago we dropped charcoal off and decided to use only gas.

But as I was saying we try to shop smarter. My room-mate has no teeth. No dentist can help her. She has gone beyond dentures and she hates to shopbecause of poor eyesight (she has an eye disease) so I do most of the shopping. Lately I have begun buying a small steak for myself. At first I bought premium grade tenderloin. We cut them in half and each of us took a half. She couldn't handle steak of any kind So now I buy one top grade ribeye or a new york strip, cut it in half fo my late lunch or dinner eacj week. This afternoon around three I had half of a NY Strip, a small baked potato, which I haven eaten two in three years, a sliced up tomato, good bread, and a cup of tea. For desert I had a just right peach. My steak was cooked on the boxr's electric grill. Anyway, the meal was scrumptious. I'll fast tonight. I'd eat another peach but I'm out of peaches. I may try for snacks some frozen frozen fruit from now until next season. Now I'm about to start a new book. The Drifter by Will Cook. Full, fat, and sassy. Hope everyone is feeling good and all your troubles are small.

13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Not all lunch boxes are as famous as this one! Did you ever carry one?
    [​IMG]

14. Holly Saunders

Registered

No...we either had school lunch, or we had to walk home for lunch.... depending on the household finances..

however , my daughter had a lunch box...

This one, when she was in infant school... and she was crazy about Care bears!

[​IMG]

Bobby Cole and Joe Riley like this.
  15. Holly Saunders

Registered