Television - Roku & Similar Devices

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

Awesome prices but how does it compare to the salaries there? Still sounds really cheap though.

Maybe you can offer to pay it for those that can't even afford that, you may become a national hero there and February 24 can become Terry Page Day. :)

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Terry Page

Terry Page Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Lisa's pay is $500 a month so yes pay is low but the new Russians will be on western pay levels so a huge gap. I am relatively poor in the UK but very wealthy here of course.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

What do you mean by new Russians? Tell me elsewhere, we are starting to go off topic. :)

4. Terry Page

Terry Page Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes I guess it's a bit off topic :rolleyes: but I will just answer your question as I don't feel it needs a separate thread.

This is a Wikipedia quote and not quite accurate, but St.Petersburg is full of them and they are very wealthy with western cars and bling, plus corruption is endemic here and on an industrial scale, that is not an exaggeration either .

New Russians (Novye Russkie, Russian: новые русские) is a term for the newly rich business class in post-Soviet Russia. It is perceived as a stereotypical caricature. According to the stereotype, New Russians achieved rapid wealth by using criminal methods during Russia’s chaotic transition to a market economy.

Having a modest education and social background, New Russians are perceived as arrogant nouveau riche and gaudy, conspicuous consumers with poor taste. Money and status symbols are prominently displayed by the New Russian, in particular jewelry and luxury cars. In the early 1990s, prominent attributes of the New Russian stereotype also includedmobile phones and crimson jackets. A wide range of elite restaurants and nightclubs catering to the New Russian social circle have sprung up in Moscow.

Diane Lane and Chrissy Cross like this.
  5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Ah, so New Russians are basically what we call here nouveau riche, those who are very conspicuous with their wealth, all flash and cash. I'd also never heard the term New Russians. I think those who've been through a recession or two (or three) tend to be a bit more judicious with their spending, and know the value of holding onto what they have, since there may not always be more. I have heard of all the corruption over there. When I was in Boston, the 'Russian mob' was becoming quite prevalent with regard to drug trafficking and prostitution (human trafficking, no doubt), as well as probably arms trafficking. Since the cost of living is so much lower over there, no doubt they're able to treat themselves very well, as well as using those funds they acquire to buy loyalty.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have had a Roku since the Roku 1, and have upgraded to each new Roku, and I have loved my Rokus, but I just bought a Smart TV, and now I have one less remote to worry about. Ella, my cat, knocked my television onto the floor and scratched the screen. Looking for another, I learned that the Smart TVs are about the same price as the others so I went that route. As an added advantage, while I wouldn't use my DVD player often, I couldn't even get my last television to recognize it but it set up easy on the new television.

As a part of reorganizing my office, I got a much larger TV so that I can put it against the wall on the other side of the room, so it won't be in the way of careless cats. Now she'll have to go out of her way to knock it down.

7. Von Jones

Von Jones Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Pets and grandbabies, you just never know what goes through those little minds, lol.

Our youngest son gifted us with a smart TV and I decided to keep the old box set. I gave up trying to get the newer devices to it for the same reason you mentioned @Ken Anderson. I scoured the flea market and thrift stores for VCR and DVD players because it still worked fine with a big screen that has a good picture and sound.

Ken Anderson and Joe Riley like this.
  8. Gloria Mitchell

Gloria Mitchell Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We dropped cable 5 years ago.Bought an outside antennea ...for all local channels. A friend gave us a brand new Amazon Firestick..love it ! Another friend downloaded a program also that...well we can even get movies that are in theaters right now. Then we share Hulu with daughter...Netflix we were already paying for...so we are set for tv movies and music. I love it because I delpore ads..commericals and etc. I am huge fan of British and Canadian tv , so I be in heaven here watching the 'the idiot box':D

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

New on Roku, or at least this is the first time I've seen it, is Pluto, which offers free (and it says it will always be free) access to several live news channels, including some that I've heard of, some sports channels, and some other entertainment channels, as well as movies and television shows.