Teeccino Herbal Coffee

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Yvonne Smith, Apr 4, 2017.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The perfect remedy for a cold day!

I think mine is due Jan 4, unless it ships early.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. John Brunner

I've just finished up the sampler pak of the Teeccino coffees I got from Amazon (none of them were the mushroom ones), and have some full-sized bags on order. I really like them. I make a large half & half mug of coffees after dinner: half a Teeccino blend, and half Chicoraya instant chicory. I sweeten it with a teaspoon of powdered Inulin FOS prebiotic. Insulin is commonly used as a food sweetener, and is derived from chicory root, so I figure I'm getting multiple benefits from this combination. And it's pretty tasty. I don't like most flavored coffees (the flavor is too strong for me), so cutting it with the chicory drink works really well.

3. John Brunner

I just looked at your first post, @Yvonne Smith. I had no idea you've been drinking this stuff for 6 years!!!

As you stated in an earlier comment, Teeccino has flavors and combo paks that Amazon does not have. But Amazon has flavors that Teeccino does not seem to sell direct. I received a Peppermint Chocolate today and am now trying it for the first time.

I make a full 15 oz. infuser mug after dinner, and use a couple of tablespoons of the teeccino and a tablespoon of the instant chicory. Sometimes I'll combine flavors of teeccino. Java, Vanilla and Hazelnut make a nice base for other flavors. I sweeten it with Inulin FOS and another FOS prebiotic, since many of these prebiotics are saccharides derived from fruits, veggies, chicory, etc. That gets me 2.5 grams of prebiotic fiber in the evening on top of what the chicory may have, and I'm not using sugar...but I do put in a splash of Half & Half.

The Peppermint Chocolate is delicious!!! I was afraid it might have that "chemical" peppermint taste that some drinks can get, but this is very nice and very smooth. So far I have not tried a flavor that I don't like.

This makes a very nice substitute for the after-dinner coffee I had been drinking.

I do have a question. The package says to use 1TB per 10 oz. of water. I'm using 2 TB teeccino plus I tb instant chicory for a little less that 15 oz of water. About how much of the teecchino do you use?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

When I first tried Teeccino several years back, I was doing a Green Smoothie Cleanse for something like 10-14 days, and coffee and tea were not allowed but herbal coffee or tea was fine. By the end of the cleanse, I started having coffee again, and the Teeccino mostly sat in the cupboard and rarely used until I decided that it would be good for my liver and kidneys to at least cut back on coffee; so here I am again.

I have a little packet of the chocolate mint which came in one of the samplers, and have not tried it yet, but now will have some later today. I have been having a regular cup of coffee first ting in the morning, and then either the herbal coffee or some tea after that. I do not make mine as strong as you do, @John Brunner . I use a rounded teaspoon for my 16 oz coffee cup, and less than a teaspoon of tea when I make that.
    Sometimes I add a little of the Chicoraya, or just have a cup of that plain if I do not want to take the time to brew a mug of herbal coffee or tea.

With warmer weather in the upcoming future, I will be cutting down on hot drinks, and now I want to learn to make kombucha and have something cold for this summer that is also healthy. My SCOBY arrives tomorrow, so I will be brewing my first batch of probiotic tea, and looking forward to the experiment.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

That chocolate mint Teeccino IS really delicious ! I am considering ordering more of it. My mint is starting to come up out in the front yard, and now I am wondering if I can maybe just add a sprig of fresh mint into the brew basket or the diffuser when I am making coffee (or tea) and if it will taste just as good .
    Experiment to follow …….

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

Yeh, that flavor is among my favorites. It's certainly stronger than the others, even when my drink is 1/3 instant chicory, 1/3 chocolate mint, and 1/3 some milder teeccino (Java, Vanilla, etc.) I tried the Dandelion Coconut for the first time last night...it's pretty good, too. I wonder if dehydrating those mint leaves before brewing them would intensify the flavor. And we could probably throw our own dandelion or other flower petals in there as well (I know that nasturtium is edible.) Heck, even a little coconut oil might add flavor and give us some healthy fat (I'm reading that it my be beneficial in warding off dementia.)

As an aside, I made some ginger tea last night (from bags) just for a change, and have some minced ginger and turmeric roots in the freezer, so I threw that in the infuser. It was pretty good.

7. Yvonne Smith

Coconut oil in coffee is great, and the medium chain triglycerides are supposed to get into our brain and help brain function as well as helping ward off dementia , which can come from the brain not getting enough brain-food.
    However, you need to put it in the blender, or you just have a puddle of coconut oil on top of your coffee. We have a thread here about Bulletproof coffee, which is basically coffee with either butter or coconut oil added.
    I seldom make it , it just takes more time (not that I am short of that, just anxious to drink my coffee), and I would put about a half cup of the coffee and some cream and coconut oil and blend that thoroughly, and then put it in my cup and finish filling it up with hot coffee.
    You can drink this as iced coffee, too; but you have to have it completely mixed when it is hot, or the coconut oil does not mix in once it is hardened.

http://www.seniorsonly.club/threads/bulletproof-coffee.8965/page-2#post-352609

John Brunner likes this.
  8. John Brunner

Interesting. I have an immersion blender (likely a Goodwill find) that might work. Thanks for the tip, I would not have thought of it being nothing but a grease slick.

I have been keeping a supply of brewed chicory (from the granules) in the fridge in a 6 cup canning jar, and putting some in my coffee pot before hitting the Brew button. Between doing that and the teeccinos, I've cut my coffee consumption in half. I have a cup of ginger/turmeric tea next to me now. I'm hoping to cut the coffee consumption in half again.

Marie Mallery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. John Brunner

I'm enjoying my nightly after dinner Teeccino, @Yvonne Smith, and thought I'd share my latest tweak. I bought a bar of 72% cacao dark chocolate, and every once in a while I'll break off a smallish piece and put in the cup before I add the hot water. By the time the coffee has brewed, the chocolate has melted. It adds flavor, and I guess some health benefits...but mostly it adds flavor.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

I do something similar. We get the raw cocoa powder, and Bobby uses it in his protein drinks. I have a little jar of it and put a spoonful into my coffee cup when I want that extra chocolate kick in my coffee or Teeccino.
    I can see where the bars would be excellent , too !

11. John Brunner

I was wondering about adding cocoa powder. I'll have to pick some up...I got Hershey's in my cabinet, but I think that raw cacao has more health benefits (some of which are destroyed by heat) and it has less sugars.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. John Brunner

I'm sitting here having my evening Teeccino.

As always, I started with a little instant chicory and some FOS prebiotic as the sweetener. I made Dandelion Coconut, and added some cacao powder and a half spoonful of coconut oil. This one's a keeper.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. John Brunner

I forgot to mention that I got a free gift with my last order:

[​IMG]
    The problem is, I don't think I can use it on my warmer. You cannot use the double-walled insulated mugs on the warming plates because when you heat the exterior, that expanding pocket of air has nowhere to go. I forget if I read that on a warming plate description or a mug description. I'm glad that admonition caught my eye. The last thing I need it a glass grenade going off next to me.

I might put a plant in it, or maybe it will go to the next church yard sale. Anyway, it sure is pretty.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

WOW , that is truly beautiful , @John Brunner ! It looks like the double glass would work as insulation to keep your drink hot longer, but even if it didn’t, it would work for iced Teeccino (or whatever) this summer.

John Brunner likes this.
  15. John Brunner

They sell them on the website...something like $11. I had not thought of the summer drinks.

Yvonne Smith likes this.