Ted Talks

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by John Houlihan, Sep 24, 2022.

1. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Namaste Marie, I was wondering how your OBEs compared to his. It sounds like he went a lot deeper than you because he was dead for more than an hour before coming back. During that hour, he asked God the interesting question, "Why is humanity so dark and doomed?" God's answer was totally unexpected.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I know he sure did. John, it's amazing what we don't know, isn't it? I guess thats why I always liked history so much. The past and the future seem to be interrelated in many ways.
    He seemed to witness this.

John Houlihan likes this.
  3. John Houlihan

Registered

Talk 7: The Hard Problem of Consciousness

In this Ted talk, Dr. Chalmers says science has solved the easy problem of consciousness. He agrees that neuroscience has given us a mechanical understanding of how the brain creates consciousness, but neuroscience does not explain what subjective consciousness is.

Then he goes on to discuss the hard problem of consciousness. Science is stuck. Scientists agree there is no scientific explanation of subjective consciousness. Chalmers thinks science may solve the hard problem maybe in the next 100 years, which indicates how tough he thinks the problem is. He puts forth what he calls two crazy ideas that might be a first step toward the final explanation. Crazy idea 1: Consciousness is a fundamental quantity like time, mass, electric charge, etc. Crazy idea 2: Consciousness is universal. This means everything has some level of consciousness. If OM is the symbol for consciousness, then humans have a high level of OM. But Chalmers points out that everything has some OM. Even a stone has some OM, Even an electron has some OM. Here is the link to his talk if interested:

https://www.ted.com/talks/david_chalmers_how_do_you_explain_consciousness?language=en

4. Marie Mallery

Registered

You can witness the electrical charges going on inside you just by closing your eyes and seeing the little light tracers. I took Horticulture [only one semester] at a small tech college and positive and negative ions are present in all life forms. We did 250,000 plants for the Atlanta Olympics; I was the oldest student in the school.;)

I'll watch the video when I feel more like it, been dealing with some depression lately, short attention span.

John Houlihan likes this.
  5. John Houlihan

Registered

Namaste Marie. Sorry to hear about the depression. The video may not be worth your time. I found the video on consciousness to be very heavy stuff. The Ted talk by Dr Chalmers was given in 2014. A talk at Yale by Chalmers in April 2022 shows almost no real progress on the solution.

I found a talk by Dr Tony Nader at Stanford that seems closer to the truth. He suggests that there are two coexisting realities. The first is physical and the second is non-physical. It is another heavy talk but at least Nader includes the spiritual aspect that is missing from Chalmer's approach.

I hope the depression issue goes away with the speed of light. Take care.

6. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thank you John and it is better now; life just happens at times and we women tend to carry our emotions on our shoulders like extra baggage.
    Its like the song below kind of,:p. I'll get to Ted later,Ted talks can be helpful.

Alan Sidlo and John Houlihan like this.