Technology Obsoletes Technology

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Frank Sanoica, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Remember the complaints early-on during the internet-revolution? "My computer is 3 months old, and it's updated now to something else!"

I recall my nephew Dan, during his last years with Southwestern Bell Telephone, complaining they had assigned to him the job of Engineering the switching capability for a new, 20,000 home development, in which every house had to have at least four land-line telephone connections! Four different numbers per house!

Today, lots of houses have none. Our house has 6, count them, 6, telephone cables entering it! We use 1. One is sufficient for voice (talk) and DSL internet, simultaneously. Cellphones eliminate both.

To a degree, microwave ovens have taken away a lot of the time-intensive functions of cooking. Much of today's "fast-foods" restaurants involve pre-cooked and frozen burgers, fish fillets, etc., heated and served by, guess what? Grilled food is still there, and still tastes better,. IMO! Years back, when McDonalds introduced their fish fillet, I loved them! Had to wait about 15 minutes though, as they deep-fried. Delicious (if without the tartar sauce!). Today they serve them up instantly.

Carburetors fueling car engines? Dinosaurs, now. , Manual transmissions, getting rarer, clutches are gone, too.

There must be lots more; I haven't thought of them. Thinking caps on?
    Frank

Chrissy Cross and Ken Anderson like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Having to develop a roll of film and waiting to see your pictures and sometimes paying for only a few good photos and the rest are useless pics of your finger. :)

Public pay phones are pretty much a thing of the past also...I never see any.

I'll be back when I think of more...

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I would add the news media, but they do still serve a purpose - just not the purpose we'd like them to serve. The sad thing is that public television and public radio, which should be a neutral source, is one of most rabidly liberal stations out there.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, it's changed a lot. Maybe something needs to be done about. I'm one that as a skeptic don't trust any old source so it's hard for me to get my news without spending too much time on it.

There should new news station....NNN...neutral news network.

At least it's not KKK, lol.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

6. Ken Anderson

Network television is well on its way to becoming obsolete, or at least it will have to change into something much different than it has been. People no longer want to try to figure out which time slot their favorite show has been moved, or to wait for the next episode. They are learning that a 24-hour news cycle simply means repetition of the same old news that they've been hearing for days. They are weary of movies that they have no interest in, and of paying for stuff they don't want to watch.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh yes, new technology. How some love it, while others hate it. I remember, back when (LOL), when I had a Pager. Couldn't afford a phone, so having a Pager was the next best thing. Back then there seemed to be a payphone on every corner. Being unemployed, and looking for a job, having a Pager was very convenient. Pager went off, I'd call my number, get the message immediately and call the company back the same time.

Started using a computer in 1989 in the workplace. Only experience I had was what I had learnt at a local library. I definitely knew how to type, being that I took three years of typing in high school and typed my own resume'.

Only thing is, today technology changes/upgrades so dang fast, it's unbelievable. Who would've ever thought, back in the 70's/80's and forward, that today we'd have portable phones that could access the internet, take photos and videos and do so many other things. We have FaceTime on our iPhones. Yep, can actually see each other while we are talking to each other.

The technology of today and what's to come. Like I said, "gonna either love it or hate it".

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Lol, I had forgotten about pagers @Cody Fousnaugh. I never had one but think my hubby did.

9. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you think toilet paper will become obsolete?

[​IMG]