Tattoos

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Tom Locke, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Ok, some things are hard for me to figure out, then again, I'm not a "mind reader" (LOL). So, either tell me why here or send me a PM thru this forum. Wife and I would really like to know.

2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Since the OP is about TATTOOS I will confess to performing over 1000 tattoos in the ears of cattle, sheep, and goats. As far as tattoos on humans, while it isn't my personal bottle of ink, I judge them by the content of their hearts, not the man-created artwork on their bodies.

John West, Mary Robi and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Perhaps you should take a look at this story that I sent Ken. Taking one look at this young guy, what would you think the "content of his heart" is?
    Texas man charged for killing two nurses while girlfriend was in labor (msn.com)

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Like I've already stated: there are those that definitely don't like the sight of real or fake tattoos or facial piercings, those that aren't bothered at all by it and those that have one or the other or both and will completely defend both.

It's a pretty controversial subject, just like smoking and swearing can be.

All I can say is that I'm extremely glad that didn't have either (fake or real), because my wife told me straight out, "if you would have, I wouldn't had anything to do with you" and she 100% meant it. Actually, not to long before meeting her, I had given some thought of getting one on each arm. Sure glad I didn't!

5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

The content of the human heart can only be judged by actions, not appearance. No human has the ability to see into another human's heart. Judgments made without actions observed are placing one's self on a par with God.

1 Samuel 16:7
    But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”

John West and Mary Robi like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, but look at this Bible verse: The Bible mentions tattoos just once, at Leviticus 19:28, which says: “You must not put tattoo marking upon yourselves.” God gave this command to the nation of Israel, thus setting them apart from the neighboring peoples who marked their skin with the names or symbols of their gods.

Plus, most-to-all of us judge others, even in this forum. Just start talking about Biden, Trump or the U.S. Government. All of us judge others to one extent or another. All of us!

7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

and rodeo

Faye Fox likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

What about rodeo? Please remember, I was a PRCA member for some 15 years and wife and I know a whole lot about rodeo. Actually, more than many fans do.

9. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, if we're going to be quoting Leviticus, let's list some more no-no's that show up in that book of the Bible.

You can't shave your head.
    You can't "round" the corners of your beard.
    You can't totally reap your fields.
    You can't eat fruit for the first three years of the tree's life because it isn't "uncircumsized to you".
    Your cattle can't breed with other types of cattle.
    You get to burn whores.
    You can only marry virgins.
    Nobody with any kind of "blemish" can become a priest. Not the blind, not the "lame", not those with flat noses or broken feet.

And here's one that might apply to a few folks here: You can't marry a divorcee.

If we're going to start quoting the Bible at folks, let's quote it all, eh?

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Actually, no! Faye was telling me about a verse in the Bible and I was telling her about another one. Both concerning tattoos, whether fake or real.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

But, whatever is done by young folks, there will be those parents, and/or family members that will accept it and those that won't. A gay young couple did a final kiss, before jumping to their deaths off of a bridge in Armenia. Their parents didn't approve of their relationship.

There are members of families that are steadfast on not accepting what a young member of their family does. Basically, the young person is disowned by family members, and sometimes, that is just fine with the young person. They move away from family and "that's that".

There are parents and family members that can get totally shocked at what a young person in the family does. "I didn't raise he/she to be that way! Where did I go wrong?"

12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I only quoted the OLD TESTAMENT because of the universal wisdom it speaks, not for the sake of old Jewish law. Several other ancient texts have similar thoughts. My point was the same as others have made that judging another human solely on tattoos which the observer may find offensive without knowing that person's heart will most times be a false judgment.

Recently when I was in a restaurant and saw an elderly very heavy lady fall, the first person there to help was a large tall young muscular man with tattoos all over his arms, neck, and face. Some of his tattoos were really bizarre with daggers and blood dripping from them. He said he had paramedic training and he was able to help the lady up and out to her granddaughter's car. She didn't want an ambulance called. The guy had a heart of gold and refused the lady's insistence that she pay for his meal. When the owner came over to tell him his meal was on the house for his actions, he said thank you and left a $40 tip on the table and walked out to his Harley, and took off.

Perhaps while we gaze to the heavens looking for magical angels, we miss the humans with good hearts that regardless of their way of dressing, tattoos, hairstyles, and scary jewelry, may come to our assistance without any thought of being rewarded or honored.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

You will get "Likes", but definitely not from me! If a guy looked like that to me, I simply wouldn't trust him. If he did indeed have paramedic training, why on earth would he look like this and who on earth would hire him to perform EMS on a person?

A cook at a Mimi's Restuarant in Jacksonville, FL had a rather large tattoo of Satan on his arm. He was in the dining room at the time and I asked him over to our table. After telling wife and I that his tattoo was of Satan, I also asked him "why Satan" and he replied, "because I love Satan!". We never returned to the restaurant.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Actually, I'm waiting for John West to chime in with his "tramp stamp" (reply #277) words to see what Faye or Yvonne will say to him.

15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Not to get off subject here, but does everyone reading this SENIORS ONLY forum fully understand all the new age "urban" terms that are used by some? My question is what is the purpose of using these derogatory terms that always apply to females?

Tramp Stamp: This means a female that has a tattoo placed above her butt crack in the back or low on her belly above her lady business in front. These tattoos are displayed courtesy of the super low-rise jean fashion or minimal coverage bikini bottom. So I asked how a woman with tattoos on her arms, above her boobs, neck, and maybe face, qualifies as a "tramp stamp?" :

Buckle Bunny: This refers to the way female dresses while attending a rodeo and places her as a whore that chases male rodeo stars that win buckles, luring them into sex. Short jeans shorts, low-cut crop tops, high skinny-heeled booties, a "cowboy" hat, and the final piece of damning evidence that she is indeed a "buckle bunny" would be a tattoo, even one on her lower leg. Now if she also has a "tramp stamp" then she is a double whore.

Years ago I asked a friend's daughter why she had so many tattoos and what they meant. Her response humbled me and gave me a new perspective on body art.

She is friends with one of our area tattoo artists and his wife, also a tattoo artist. They specialize in patriotic USA tattoos and religious tattoos. They make about $20K a month.

She said she was at a low point in her life as a teenager and cutting herself and thinking of committing suicide. These tattoo artists also volunteer with several organizations to help the suicidal, those with low self-esteem, and those with addictions. They heard about her and had her come in for a free tattoo. The time she spent talking with them while they did an amazing tattoo of her choice, changed her life. She returned several times later when she was financially stable to get tattoos that represented her overcoming the darkness that almost took her life. She paid $2500 for one of her tattoos.

That sparked my curiosity. Why would she pay $2500 for a tattoo on her upper back when she already had her arms and legs covered? Her answer changed my idea about the overly tattooed and placing a judgment that might keep me from knowing the heart of that human, a walking and talking art exhibit.

These tattoo artists first used tattoos to cover her scars from cutting herself. These artists are also ministers. They live fairly simply and use their money to minister to others. They don't have a church but instead minister to the hurting while they do tattoos. They are the first to go to someone that has lost their home to a fire and see that they have clothing, food, and shelter. They use their own money for their ministry. Any other form of art, and they would be starving. Tattoo artistry brings in big money and gives them the ability to minister to others without donations and making a big show. A few months ago I saw that they had helped numerous war vets to deal with PTSD by friending them and giving them a place to stay until they could get stable.

When the young lady told me what all her tattoos represented, then I started to understand why she had them and how they said what she couldn't say in words that anyone would understand. If she told her story and was not tattooed, who really cares? If someone asks about her tattoos it opens the door for a meaningful discussion, as it did in my case. Years ago, after meeting these folks and a disabled war vet they had helped without any compensation, I was inspired to release the darkness in me that had been there for 50 years.

They all insisted after hearing my stories that I should get tattoos that told these stories. I declined as I don't like the idea of needles or having art on my body. After telling them my story, I realized they were among the few that had ever heard my stories of darkness and after telling them I could talk about it publically and that was a release and brought a light to my heart and mind that had been dimmed years ago.

So next time you see a heavily tattooed person and your mind rushes to a judgment, don't let that immediate impression keep you from knowing more about that person. They may be doing more for humanity in a selfless manner than any church is capable.

One thing that impressed me about these artists was they won't cover up old tattoos that might be of a gang or even satanical indication. I saw a photo of one they did where they put a coffin, going in a grave, around an old gang tattoo with the dirt shoveled in a pile with a cross on top of it. I think that person's transformation is self-explanatory.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022