Tamales

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Diane Lane, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I hadn't had tamales in quite a while, but got a craving for them recently. Someone in the area was making and selling them, so I got a couple of dozen, and they sure are delicious. I've never made tamales from scratch, but it's on my list of things to do.

What food do you particularly enjoy?

Richard Paradon likes this.
  2. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

Hi Diane! I used to love tamales when I was in the States. Homemade, of course were the best, but more than once I'd fine a can of Hormel's and just feed it straight to my poor heart! OUCH! I wish I had a can right now!

The majority of the food that I eat are spicy and Thai. I guess that makes sense since I live there!

3. Diane Lane

Registered

Ahh, I've been there, Richard, with the canned tamales, one an occasion or two. Were the homemade ones made by you, or someone else? I'll have to look around for a good recipe/tutorial, and see what is involved in making them.

4. Richard Paradon

Registered

They are so easy.....if.....your name is Grandma!

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Registered

I love the video, thanks! They definitely look moister than the ones you get in the store here, and it looked as if they enjoyed the process (and the finished product) :).

6. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I have not had tamales as far as I know. I did recently make a chicken questida that my grandson's liked. I used two large shells, refried beans, cheese and shredded chicken or turkey meat warmed up and sliced.

7. Richard Paradon

Registered

That sounds great to me, Pat! Right now I am too lazy to cook anything but you got me thinking!

8. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I have never actually made tamales myself. I do have a good friend whose wife makes them and I have a brother who actually makes them as well each December for Christmas. So, I get homemade tamales from two different sources during the holiday season. I like home made tamales because they aren't just good to eat on their own, but they can be made into a casserole with chili and placed in Menudo. Both of which I have done wiht the homemade tamales. I have even bought the can tamales to use in Menudo as well. By the way my form of menudo also comes from a can.

9. Richard Paradon

Registered

:) "I'll be home (your home, that is) for Christmas!" I have not had menudo for years but when I was living in Los Angeles it was only about a half hour to Alvera (spelling) street and whenever I wanted that taste, it was easy to obtain!