Talk About Saving Money

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Will Lawrence, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Veteran Member
    Registered

Gas today $1.49 at the pump. Had $1.00/gallon in Kroger fuel points. With discount, pump price $0.49/gallon. Filled truck. 22 gallon............ $10.95!!!!!!!!

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow, I paid $2.59 when I filled up my car on Sunday before heading home.

3. Will Lawrence

Registered

But, you're in California. Gas is always higher out there.

I've really enjoyed the cheaper gas. I get paid mileage for driving my truck, so make some pretty good pocket money when gas is cheap. I average right at 20 mpg with my Ram HEMI... when I keep my foot outta it and keep it under 70 mph. Out on the freeways running in the 80 mph range, it drops to about 18 mpg. The firm pays me 62 cents/mile to drive my own truck. The IRS rate is something like 52 cents/mile. So, they have to show the difference between the IRS rate and what they pay me as income and hold taxes out of that. Sheesh! But, it still pays both direct costs plus depreciation.

Chrissy Cross and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

$1.49... without any points or discounts being used?! Well that's just totally amazing. I'm the northeast and currently... as of today, gas is $2.19. And that's down a dime from last week.

What's the lowest you ever remember it being, Will? I can't remember lower than 99 cents, but golly, that $1.49 is getting pretty close!

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Prices for me today! Getting higher here.

image.jpg

6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I paid $1.89 for gas Wednesday. It was lower a couple of weeks ago but it is going up again.

7. Will Lawrence

Registered

I bought a lot of gas of 19 cents/gallon in the 60's. Went to work at a gas station in 1966. We had a customer who always bought 10 gallon of gas. Gas went up and he had to pay $3.00 for 10 gallon. He went ballistic! Gas stayed pretty reasonable until the Iran crisis in about 1974. We saw limits on how much we could buy at a time and the price began soaring. It has been really close to $4/gallon here a few times. Don't think I've ever paid over $4. On 9/11 a couple local stations immediately went to $5 and $6/gallon. People were in a panic and wanted full fuel tanks. Later, the State brought charges which just ended up with a hand slap. One of those who took advantage of people on 9/11 is now one of the richest people in town. He and his wife own about 80% of the convenience stores in town. I wouldn't buy gas from them if I had to walk instead.

Mari North and Ruby Begonia like this.
  8. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Per the internet today in my town:

Average: $1.96 Lowest: $1.86 Highest: $2.2

9. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

I wonder why my area hasn't seen under $2 yet? I've been hearing that so many places are under... but here it just keeps fluctuating between $2.15 and $2.39. I don't think it has anything to do with location because it never has before... so it much be something going on locally with... what? The suppliers I think I heard?

In any case, you'd think that one of the stations would *offer* it for $1.99 and would get everyone's business because people would go nuts to see a $1...anything!

10. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

This reminds me of our usual trip to the provinces during summer. We always rent a van and the van driver would say that we would fill up the gas tank when we reach the province. And why so? Because gas is cheaper in the rural area. And since it is our destination so might as well buy the fuel there. Of course we agree. The difference if 2 pesos per liter (that's about 5 cents) and no matter how small, it is a psychological advantage at the thought that we had saved something. On Saturday we have a trip to a northern province and that would be the suggestion of the van driver again.

Mari North likes this.