Take My Tablet, Please.

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Avigail David, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm ready to part with my 2012 Tablet. Or hand it down to my son as his Mathletics and Spellodrome 3P learning gadget. With this tablet I'm looking at is a combination of 10.1" size, form, functionality, user-friendliness. I'd like to get a Samsung Tablet 4 which will give me some ease with use, compared to the one I'm replacing the old tablet with that 'freezes' and slows down performance. I use a separate keyboard connecting the Tab-keyboard devices with Bluetooth. Savvy, hey?

So, that's how it works, my family tells me.

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

It's been done before.;)
    [​IMG]

Avigail David and Diane Lane like this.
  3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not with mobile since I only use my phone for simple internet browsing and normally for searching. We had a tablet that broke down after some months of use due to hardware error. In spite of the warranty, it was not fixed anymore. Lately I have noticed some colleagues with the tablets (there was another sale of tablets, that's why) and they're telling me that as you grow old, you need a larger monitor (that's versus the small screen of the phone).

Phones used to be getting smaller but now screens are getting bigger. Where are we headed in terms of the digital technology?

4. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

Haha and LOL! @Corie Henson Like what @Joe Riley said. We did call. Not the Higher Divine. . But, Samsung Technical support. Well, in fact, I did pray for an impossible Tablet replacement.

I had a chat with a certain Ram as he gave me instructions-- step by step, but I was too slow to follow through until he got impatient with me (indirectly). So, my IT programmer-husband called Samsung support.

Tablet okay now, like new! It's been factory-reset! Whoohoo! Wonderful! It's faster now and like brand new. I'm so happy. I use my Tablet when I'm not at home. Which, is very seldom and only on Sundays. At least, I got it fixed. Yey! Thanks to my husband!

Corie Henson likes this.
  5. Peter Remington

Peter Remington Veteran Member
    Registered

I've had to reset my 2014 iPadIV to factory specs and start over at least half a dozen times since I bought it on sale, less than a year ago. It freezes, it dumps data and the iCloud storage is an expensive nightmare. My ancient original iPad still works perfectly but doesn't support iCloud storage and is now too primitive to run any of the current programs. Next time, I'm going to see what I can do with a Kindle Fire.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I also have an iPad 4, have had it for several years now, and I very seldom have any problems with it, and have never had to do anything more than restart it now and again. Usually when that happens, it is because I have not been vigilant in shutting down the unused programs that are running in the background, and the ipad gets swamped trying to do everything.

The other thing that I sometimes forget with the iPad is to sync it with iTunes every week, and it certainly needs that done. I usually do both my ipad and Bobby's iPad, and my iPhone, all at the same time, so that I don't forget to get them all synced.

As far as a Kindle Fire, @Peter Remington , I think that you will not like it as well as you do your iPad. The Kindle is a lot smaller (although I believe that they now also make a larger Kindle), and I do not like the way it is set up as well as I do the iPad. There do not seem to be as many apps, and even though they give you a free app every day, they are not usually anything that I am interested in (mostly game apps that I have seen).

My daughter got me a Dell XPS-18, and it is an all-in-one desktop, laptop, and tablet, powered by Windows.
    It is heavier to pack around than an iPad; but has all the functionality of a desktop computer as well as the touchpad of a tablet.
    I recommended it to Ina when she was needing another computer to replace her old one, and as far as I know, she really likes the Dell, too.
    Because is has the 18" touch-screen, it is even easier to view things on than the iPad is, and would be infinitely more portable than your iMac is, since it can come right off of the charging pedestal and be carried around like a tablet.

7. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Our tablet had actually been sent back to the dealer twice already before the tech gave up on it. The main problem was the Android which sometimes do not boot. At other times, the Android icon will just stay there and hang. On the first trip for repair, it was returned with nothing, I mean it is the same. So we used again despite the problematic start up. My husband said that we need not shut down the tablet and just let it be plugged into the charger. Okay, done.

After a week, the tablet was down. No matter what we do, it wouldn't start. When we sent it back to the repair center, since it is still covered by the warranty, the first diagnosis was the dead battery. But after replacing the battery, the tech wrote an RIP - dead hardware.