Take Back California

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Beth Gallagher, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Have you heard about his guy, Travis Allen? One of my friends attended this rally and is fired up, hoping that fed-up Californians will get out the vote.

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Reminds me a lot of the MAGA rallies that Trump conducted. Probably nothing will wake up California unless they undergo something of what is happening in New York, with so many of the wealthiest taxpayers simply leaving the state. Governor Cuomo made reference to that in his speech criticizing the politicians who drove the Amazon deal down the tubes. Cuomo referred to the fact that so few taxpayers pick up the tab for almost everything in New York; they rely on a small tax base of the most mobile people in the population. California is losing population now for the first time in modern history...at least of the legal residents, but it is still a relative trickle.

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Is it really? It is true that California does indeed have a pretty large economy but just because there’s oodles of money coming in doesn’t mean that It’s enough to cover the deficits.
    The California government has been taxing the corporate and individual taxpayer to death it seems with no apparent light at the end of the tunnel.
    Forbes tells a little more of the story:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomas...ons-california-is-unsustainable/#20fb389d3a23

Tom Galty and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The discussion isn't around economics, and ask the middle class who live there if "California is doing OK." Their tax burden is atrocious.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The United States would be a stronger country if California dropped into the ocean. I'm not saying that I want that to occur but California is a drain on the nation in ways that are not restricted to economics.

7. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Blue states support red states through federal taxation. It would be red states sinking without the affluent blues, who get little in return.

8. Bob Kirk

Bob Kirk Veteran Member
    Registered

The video begins with California 425 billion in debt. Then 1 in 5 below poverty. The kicker is cutting taxes.

Race and Hispanic Origin
    White alone, percent 72.4%
    Black or African American alone, percent(a) 6.5%
    American Indian and Alaska Native alone, percent(a) 1.6%
    Asian alone, percent(a) 15.2%
    Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone, percent(a) 0.5%
    Two or More Races, percent 3.9%
    Hispanic or Latino, percent(b) 39.1%
    White alone, not Hispanic or Latin 37.2%

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ca

I admit that chart confuses me. 1st. White alone 72.4%. Then last two show Hispanic or Latino @ almost 2% higher than White alone, not Hispanic or Latin.

Excuse me for being skeptical but taxes pay for helping the 1 in 5 and I don't know how tax reduction will pay down the 425 billion in debt. Or overcoming the almost 2% Hispanic or Latin population advantage when it comes to how sanctuary cities are viewed.

Lulu Moppet and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

For the short period of time I lived in N. Idaho (my wife’s home state) one of the largest burdens we had was Californians migrationing to Idaho.
    They were moving to avoid a lot of the taxation they faced in their home state but they brought with them a lot of baggage also. In short, they wanted California without having to pay for it. They would move in and start complaining about the neighborhood not being what they once had and then they started trying to change existing epa laws to meet the one’s in the land of the condor (with the possible exception of being able to finally buy Calgon dishwashing powder).
    I do not know about the last 15 years or so, but the old guard in N. Idaho was having some real fits trying to placate the new settlers.

10. Ken Anderson

California? Affluent?

11. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Lulu Moppet
    True, the State is doing OK, it is unfortunately the people living there who are doing not so good.

Frank

12. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bobby Cole
    What you state about Idaho my nephew has witnessed and remarked about since 1985 in Flagstaff, AZ. The Californios have come in droves, made demands, succeeded in attaining public office, and from there it went downhill.

Frank

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The same is happening in the Austin TX area. Huge influx of Californians in the past few years.

My friend who attended the "Take Back CA" rally is a life-long Californian and loves her beautiful state. She just hates the way things are going there, objects to "sanctuary state" status, can't stand the far-left politics, etc. (And she used to be a Democrat.)

14. Ken Anderson

53% of Californians want to leave the state. -- SF Gate

I don't blame them. They could find a better life elsewhere if only they'd leave their stupid politics behind. But no, they take all of the reasons that have turned California into a cesspool with them, degrading whatever state they move to.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Californians leave the state to avoid a lot of what is there,e.g., taxation, but proceed to try to turn their new location into exactly what they fled. They should stay where they are and fix it!