Take A Look

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Bill Boggs, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have a new blog. I have not written anything on it. I am a bit relunctant to do so. My grand sons wanted me to write something about my early life growing up, what I've done work wise and stuff about my army years. I guess I'm not sure I'm up to it. But my grandson set up the site for me after I had said I liked a particular picture. There's nothing noteworthy about me or the life I've led and my years in the Service were uneventful, except to say we were poor as dirt and lived like nomads for a number of years. I hate to disappoint the boys. Have any of you done anything like this? The reason for this writ is to show you the picture I chose for the blog. I have to admit I like the picture and would post it here if I could. Take a look if you'd like.
    https://firstsooner.wordpress.com

2. Terry Page

Terry Page Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I love the picture Bill, it creates the feeling of the beginning of a journey into the unknown and the horse and covered wagon give a sense of history.
    You say your life was uneventful but I would guess to others, it would be fascinating because its a way of life long gone and different to our own. We all have a story to tell and the interest is often in the details of daily life and the way you tell the story, not in a series of heroic events or gripping adventures.
    I for one look forward to reading your first writings soon.

3. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thank you, Terry. We view the picture similarly. I have little confidence that I can do justice to such a project even for family. I don't know that I can do such a thing but i'm thinking on it. Forty-five or fifty years ago I might have entered upon an adventure like this, going back through my memory and recording it as I saw it unfold, with gusto, only I didn't see life that way then. I saw life as a struggle to make ends meet, stay employed in a changing world in which I felt ill equipped to participate or compete. And, of course, you know in your bones no one is interested in what has gone before. Mine was a lowly life, perhaps even a contemptible one, not one to parade down main street but best forgotten. Still, I told the kids I'd consider writing something of our family history as best as I can remember it. But it seems daunting at the moment.

4. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A very nice lady inspired me to start writing some of the events of my past. I'm certainly no writer. I call myself a scribbler. I scribble down things that happened, as I remember them, and the heck with correctness. Do it while your memory is sharp. You might be surprised at what happened in your life that will interest others.

5. Terry Page

Registered

I agree with Ike's point Bill your life will interest others a lot more than you realise, it's often the lives that contrast with our own that make interesting reading. Why not give it a try Bill, nothing to lose really and again as Ike says do it while your memory is sharp.

6. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs For some reason the blog page and picture are blank so I'll be unable to view the picture..bummer.

You can't be expected to do what your son is asking without some support on his part. He needs to guide you along by asking questions of what he'd like to know about. He then needs to listen closely and ask more questions based on what your recollections are. My sister asked my mother to do this but my sister asked a lot of questions and took notes as random memories came to her throughout her life.

Then my sister organized it from early events to later, as in chronological order. She also organized it into chapters of her life. But all my mother did was just answer her questions and then one story led to another. Details of things long ago that are no longer in existence today I found fascinating as well as what my ancestors were up to as she recalled her growing up years. She didn't just talk about herself but rather the whole family that dated back before she was born but knew about from others passing stories down.

Make sure as you speak of family members that what you say may become their legacy. Steer away from too much negativity. My mother wanted to talk about her mothers depression, laziness, and slight paranoia but I said to her, "Is that what you want her legacy to be? Your mother was kind, gentle, loved her garden, generous, and had a good heart. She had a thyroid condition and symptoms that no one understood back then and she had to live with those symptoms. It must have been so difficult for her as well as the family.The condition and symptoms are okay to briefly mention but don't dwell on it because that wasnt what defined your mother."

Terry Page and Ike Willis like this.
  7. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thanks, Lara. I will try to put in only the essentials. I'm sorry you cannot view the photo.Try again. It doesn't always show up the first time I click on it.

https://firstsooner.wordpressw.com

Lara Moss likes this.
  8. Terry Page

Registered

This is a screenshot I took Lara Screenshort 2016-01-02 at 20.jpg

Lara Moss and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thanks for posting the picture, Terry. I tried to do that but couldn't. After spending a couple of days thinking, I have decided not to attempt such a project. There's a lot of bad stuff back down through life I keep getting embroiled with and while I know I don't have to include any of that sort of thing, the good stuff that's left is not worth worth mentioning. I'm a throw away that missed getting thrown out.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    Holly Saunders and Terry Page like this.
  10. Bill Boggs

Registered

I shall say this and probably no more regarding the subject. From the covered wagon i did write and post one little posting. It's about my grandfather who is on the edge of my beginning memory. My memory goes back farther in some areas but some details have been lost, but I feel all things spread out in my life from that time. I don't know where this is going, if anywhere. I will continue posting from time to time if I can come up with something. I didn't know where to start so i started at the beginning with my grandfather. And I don't know where i'm going.

11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

Bill, I know how you feel, but if you don't write it, your Grand children might feel the same way some day. You are writing it for them. Don't quit.

12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Bill, what is the first thing you remember? Your first ever memory?

13. Bill Boggs

Registered

14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

That was a powerful memory,Bill!

15. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

:oops:It's a big project that your son started for you...it is up to you to or not to write this journal, but it was so nice of your son to think of doing this journal of your life. I agree with Terry about it.

Bill Boggs, Ike Willis and Terry Page like this.
  16. Bill Boggs

Registered

Okay, thanks, Joe, but that's enough about me, like dieting, this, too, is not easy but I'm going to try. Thanks for all your comments help.

17. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I could almost see him, all dressed in black.

Bill Boggs and Joe Riley like this.
  18. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Active Member
    Registered

Well, for someone who at first wasn't sure they could do this you seem to now be on a roll Bob. I find that blog quite good by the way. You may think that your past experiences would be boring, but you would be amazed how others might find it interesting. You obviously have many memories to tell. The one about the flood was quite good, and showed how people endure such disasters. Keep up the good work.

19. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thank you Terry for posting Bill's photo. Yes, I see the "journey" but how intuitive of you to think of how it also gives a "sense of history" in regards to journaling Bob's life and future of the unknown. Loved the photo, Bill…beautifully simple and serene.

Terry Page likes this.
  20. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Well-Known Member
    Registered

Here's my 2 cents, Bill.... There is nothing left for the next generation(s) to read that paints the picture of who we were and what we experienced. My dad wrote letters to Mom from Europe in WWII. My brother-in-law wrote letters to my mother-in-law and my wife when in Viet Nam. Sweethearts exchanged letters. People kept diaries that were not opened until their death... if even then. But, they wrote. They told the story of the path they walked.
    Today, everything is digital. There are no letters. There are no photographs. We are leaving nothing behind as to who we are. History books will be written and edited, not by people who have read our experiences, but by those who have become "educated" by way of digital resources. There will be nothing in writing to fact-check what is taught to the children of tomorrow. Digital tales can be too easily edited to reflect the bias of... or imagination of... the editor.
    Leave something your children and grandchildren can read about your life. Sure, it will be in digital format. But, a private blog authored for the benefit of those you have given life to will be read by them and remembered by them.
    We all have had the bad times, some have had it worse than others. To not make any reference to those times will not leave a true tale of the challenges we've faced for our kids to know. We have seen so much in our day. Communication... From not being able to make a long distance call after 10 p.m. to talking across the globe with this little thing in my pocket. From waiting patiently for the newspaper to see what happened in the World to seeing events pop up on my home page every few minutes. From World Book and Encyclopedia Britannica that were out of date before they were printed to instant access through Google. The miracles of modern medical technology. We have lots to write about that is positive.
    And, we lived through the drug culture of the 60's. We saw our military heroes spit on and denigrated when they returned home from Viet Nam. No one talked of PTSD. Instead, they wondered why our veterans were resorting to drugs and alcohol. Our next generations need to know what was wrong in our lifetime so they can make every attempt not to repeat the errors of our generation.
    Write... if you want to, keep it private an personal. You have every ability through keystrokes to make your writing only available to your family. Or, you can keep it public. Whatever, leave something that tells your story. Even though they may not say it today, after you're gone the WILL appreciate it.

21. Bill Boggs

Registered

Much obliged, Will. I appreciate your comment.

22. Terry Page

Registered

Enjoying your blog Bill, lots of interesting facts about a lifestyle long gone, and for me one I had no experience of or even knew existed ..Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    Joe Riley likes this.
  23. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Well-Known Member
    Registered

Now, you're REALLY telling your age! I haven't heard "much obliged" for ages. Used to be commonly used. Of course, that was back when gentlemen were gentlemen and ladies were ladies.:)

24. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I would urge you to continue. What I read was a very interesting read.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  25. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

If I may suggest, why not write about the life of an ordinary American in the yonder days? My husband is a storyteller of such things so that when we go on vacations with the children (not really children anymore, they are teenagers already) they cherish the stories that my husband tells them like how much was his school allowance and that he walked to and from school. There was not fastfood and the snacks were native delicacies only plus fruits like green mango. Things like that attract interest from the youth because life is so different now. In fact, I also enjoy listening to my husband's stories and sometimes I also contribute my own.

Ike Willis likes this.