Take A Look

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Bill Boggs, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a new blog. I have not written anything on it. I am a bit relunctant to do so. My grand sons wanted me to write something about my early life growing up, what I've done work wise and stuff about my army years. I guess I'm not sure I'm up to it. But my grandson set up the site for me after I had said I liked a particular picture. There's nothing noteworthy about me or the life I've led and my years in the Service were uneventful, except to say we were poor as dirt and lived like nomads for a number of years. I hate to disappoint the boys. Have any of you done anything like this? The reason for this writ is to show you the picture I chose for the blog. I have to admit I like the picture and would post it here if I could. Take a look if you'd like.
    https://firstsooner.wordpress.com

2. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I love the picture Bill, it creates the feeling of the beginning of a journey into the unknown and the horse and covered wagon give a sense of history.
    You say your life was uneventful but I would guess to others, it would be fascinating because its a way of life long gone and different to our own. We all have a story to tell and the interest is often in the details of daily life and the way you tell the story, not in a series of heroic events or gripping adventures.
    I for one look forward to reading your first writings soon.

3. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thank you, Terry. We view the picture similarly. I have little confidence that I can do justice to such a project even for family. I don't know that I can do such a thing but i'm thinking on it. Forty-five or fifty years ago I might have entered upon an adventure like this, going back through my memory and recording it as I saw it unfold, with gusto, only I didn't see life that way then. I saw life as a struggle to make ends meet, stay employed in a changing world in which I felt ill equipped to participate or compete. And, of course, you know in your bones no one is interested in what has gone before. Mine was a lowly life, perhaps even a contemptible one, not one to parade down main street but best forgotten. Still, I told the kids I'd consider writing something of our family history as best as I can remember it. But it seems daunting at the moment.

4. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

A very nice lady inspired me to start writing some of the events of my past. I'm certainly no writer. I call myself a scribbler. I scribble down things that happened, as I remember them, and the heck with correctness. Do it while your memory is sharp. You might be surprised at what happened in your life that will interest others.

5. Terry Page

Registered

I agree with Ike's point Bill your life will interest others a lot more than you realise, it's often the lives that contrast with our own that make interesting reading. Why not give it a try Bill, nothing to lose really and again as Ike says do it while your memory is sharp.

6. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs For some reason the blog page and picture are blank so I'll be unable to view the picture..bummer.

You can't be expected to do what your son is asking without some support on his part. He needs to guide you along by asking questions of what he'd like to know about. He then needs to listen closely and ask more questions based on what your recollections are. My sister asked my mother to do this but my sister asked a lot of questions and took notes as random memories came to her throughout her life.

Then my sister organized it from early events to later, as in chronological order. She also organized it into chapters of her life. But all my mother did was just answer her questions and then one story led to another. Details of things long ago that are no longer in existence today I found fascinating as well as what my ancestors were up to as she recalled her growing up years. She didn't just talk about herself but rather the whole family that dated back before she was born but knew about from others passing stories down.

Make sure as you speak of family members that what you say may become their legacy. Steer away from too much negativity. My mother wanted to talk about her mothers depression, laziness, and slight paranoia but I said to her, "Is that what you want her legacy to be? Your mother was kind, gentle, loved her garden, generous, and had a good heart. She had a thyroid condition and symptoms that no one understood back then and she had to live with those symptoms. It must have been so difficult for her as well as the family.The condition and symptoms are okay to briefly mention but don't dwell on it because that wasnt what defined your mother."

Terry Page and Ike Willis like this.
  7. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thanks, Lara. I will try to put in only the essentials. I'm sorry you cannot view the photo.Try again. It doesn't always show up the first time I click on it.

https://firstsooner.wordpressw.com

Lara Moss likes this.
  8. Terry Page

Registered

This is a screenshot I took Lara Screenshort 2016-01-02 at 20.jpg

Lara Moss and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thanks for posting the picture, Terry. I tried to do that but couldn't. After spending a couple of days thinking, I have decided not to attempt such a project. There's a lot of bad stuff back down through life I keep getting embroiled with and while I know I don't have to include any of that sort of thing, the good stuff that's left is not worth worth mentioning. I'm a throw away that missed getting thrown out.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    Holly Saunders and Terry Page like this.
  10. Bill Boggs

Registered

I shall say this and probably no more regarding the subject. From the covered wagon i did write and post one little posting. It's about my grandfather who is on the edge of my beginning memory. My memory goes back farther in some areas but some details have been lost, but I feel all things spread out in my life from that time. I don't know where this is going, if anywhere. I will continue posting from time to time if I can come up with something. I didn't know where to start so i started at the beginning with my grandfather. And I don't know where i'm going.

Holly Saunders and Terry Page like this.
  11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Bill, I know how you feel, but if you don't write it, your Grand children might feel the same way some day. You are writing it for them. Don't quit.

12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Bill, what is the first thing you remember? Your first ever memory?

13. Bill Boggs

Registered

14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

That was a powerful memory,Bill!

15. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:It's a big project that your son started for you...it is up to you to or not to write this journal, but it was so nice of your son to think of doing this journal of your life. I agree with Terry about it.

Bill Boggs, Ike Willis and Terry Page like this.