Supreme Court Rules In Favor Of Baker In Same-sex Wedding Cake

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Ken Anderson, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Yeah.

Hal

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Male homosexuality and female homosexuality DO seem to be different, though. I have known a number of women who have "switched back and forth". One of my co-workers (when I worked) had a close friend who was a lesbian and had been for many years in several relationships. One day she sent out engagement announcements TO A MAN. When asked what happened, my co-worker was told she had always been a lesbian because no man had ever shown an interest in her. The same thing happened with Ann Heche and several other celebs. I have never known a man who had come out as gay, to switch back to hetero spontaneously because someone showed interest in him, although I have known many who masqueraded as hetero while feeling otherwise, and I haven't known any to "switch back and forth".

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Don Alaska
    They had to be the "Nymphos" of the grouping.........(gulp)!

But, how did you know them? Via clinical aspect? Curious, just not yellow enough not to ask! :oops:
    Frank

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Most were friends or acquaintances.

5. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

The best sign ever displayed in a private business:

"WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICE TO ANYONE"

Hal

6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner
    But what is a "private business"? If it is a concern catering to the general public, it isn't really a "private" business, is it? OTOH, if it's a privately owned business, then I suppose that's something a bit different.

Don't get me wrong, I'm entirely in agreement with your statement. It's just that it can be open to serious nit-pickers. The best, using your phrase, method of business-entry control I ever saw, and it wouldn't fly today anymore, I don't think, was a bar across the street from my first employer, Victor Gasket Co. The plant was on the north side of Roosevelt Road, which was Chicago, the bar on the south side, which was Cicero, a very much bigotted town, to say the least. The bar had a one-way glass in the door, equipped with an electric lock, controlled by the bartender. If an unwanted person tried the door, they found it locked. Known "good people" were immediately admitted. Riff-raff was thus excluded; unfortunately, skin-color was quite often a part of the "mix". Like it or not, that's how things were where I grew up.

One block from our home when I was 9, a landlord rented an apartment to a Black man, and the following ensued:

"The Cicero race riot of 1951 occurred July 11–12, 1951, when a mob of 4,000 whites attacked an apartment building that housed a single black family in a neighborhood in Cicero, Illinois."

"In early June 1951, Mrs. DeRose, who owned an apartment building at 6139–42 W. 19th Street in Cicero, got into a controversy with her tenants and was ordered to refund a portion of the rent. Afterwards, out of anger and/or profit, she rented an apartment to Harvey E. Clark Jr., an African-American World War II veteran and graduate of Fisk University, and his family in an all-white neighborhood. A high-ranking Cicero official learned that an African-American family was moving into a Cicero apartment and warned Mrs. DeRose that there would be "trouble" if he moved in. At 2:30 pm, on June 8, a moving van containing $2000 worth of Clark's furniture was stopped by the police. The rental agent was ushered out with a drawn revolver at his back."

"Sheriffs' deputies asked the firemen to turn their hoses on the rioters, who refused to do so without their lieutenant, who was unavailable. The situation appeared to be out of control and County Sheriff John E. Babbs asked Illinois Governor Adlai Stevenson to send in the Illinois National Guard. As troops arrived at the scene, the rioters fought with them. Armed with bayonets, rifle butts, and tear gas, the troops ended the riot by setting a 300-meter (328-yard) perimeter around the apartment block in which the rioting was in progress. By July 14, most of the violence had ended." See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicero_race_riot_of_1951

Understand that as a child of 9 going to do our grocery shopping, my Mother and I had to be admitted through a gated barbed-wire barricade by uniformed soldiers carrying rifles. Thousands of intruders to the neighborhood had earlier come into our area, many from out of state, trampling the lawns in front of our homes as they trudged ceaselessly and very noisily all night long along our street. Utter turmoil prevailed. My Dad had to prove residency coming and going to work.

There was amazement occurring also. I had two rabbits in a hutch in our back yard, which escaped during the extreme commotion in the night; we didn't even know they were gone. At dawn, several soldiers carrying rifles by slings, came to our back door. Upon answering, my Mother was quietly greeted by the young men, carrying our rabbits. One said, "Ma'am, we had seen your hutch, and caught your rabbits out on "Main Street", (the name being their coded name for 18th. Street!)

• The apartment building.
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • Bayonet-equipped rifles, probably M-1 Garand WW-II vintage. It was rumored a young man seriously questioning authority was bayonetted...........
    • The building was for some time empty, and boarded-up. So deeply did racial hatred prevail in the Chicago area.
    • [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A burning piano outside 6139 W. 19th St. in Cicero, where residents rioted after learning an African American family planned to move in, July 11, 1951.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018