Super-stores And/or Neighborhood Markets

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Yvonne Smith, Nov 8, 2022.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Many years ago, most places had neighborhood markets, and often delivered food to people who called in and ordered it.
    Then, we went to supermarkets with weekly sales, and shopping in America changed for many years. The supermarkets blended in with stores that sold clothing and other household goods, and we then had places like KMart , followed by Walmart, and other super-centers where you could do all of your shopping in one place.

Now, it seems like the pendulum might be swinging back the other way, and people are starting to do grocery shopping at smaller stores again. With more and more online shopping, I think that this will continue to increase. It is hard to even find cashiers at Walmart anymore, and we are fortunate if there is more than one lane open.

Buying my groceries and having them ready for curbside pickup, or having them delivered is much simpler than standing in the long lines at the grocery stores.
    We have started shopping at the Dollars stores more, too, when we just need something simple like Bobby needing a paint-holder and roller, or something that we can go in and get quickly.

I was reading yesterday that Kroger and Albertsons, the two largest grocery chains (both own multiple grocery chains) are working on a merger, which would make them one gigantic chain if the merger goes through.
    Apparently, they have to close some stores if that happens, and my thought is that they will close the stores that bring in the least revenue, which makes sense.
    These are probably older stores in poor neighborhoods, and this part makes me sad. Our Kroger store did just that , a few years ago.
    Many people here do not drive, and took the city bus there to go shopping, and were devastated when it closed down.
    That is when I ended up having to shop at Walmart because it was the closest store after Kroger closed.

Anyway, now I am wondering if the Kroger/Albertsons merger will be making more super stores or more of the small groceries, more like the Walmart Neighborhood markets. It seems to me that this might be the direction we are heading in at this point.

Marie Mallery and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

My grocery store which I've shopped at since the seventies in Ma, NH, and Now Me Is still expanding and It is run by a Greek family that lives in Lowell Mass. They're always a joy. I've been buy-in a lot of their butcher tree goods lately. Stuffed peppers, thick boneless chops, stuffed chicken breast.

Marie Mallery and Mary Stetler like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I think much of this depends on the location. The expanding suburbs where housing in in one spot and commerce is centralized had a big impact on the changes you describe, Yvonne. Out in my rural area, there are still some small stores (and a number of shut down stores that were in old houses), but they don't carry meats or fresh produce or anything else that might spoil...it's beverages, smokes and boxed & canned goods.

Of course, everything goes in cycles. Outside of DC, the older suburbs expanded and the original business districts got shut down as people preferred the strip malls. Then there were enclosed shopping malls where you stayed inside as you went from store-to-store that took away from the strip malls. Concurrent with that, the old business districts were renovated, but their new occupants were boutique stores (home of the $10 ice cream cone) and not places normal folks shop. Aside from some high end restaurants, most of those businesses struggle.

Interestingly, the internet has got people used to buying things that have never seen or touched, kinda like much of the old style home delivery you speak of used to be.

4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

It is interesting we have watched and been through so much 'progress'.
    A Copps then Shopko went in east of Peters and I used to comment how there was nothing but farm fields (west) passed Peters Avenue.
    Then they put in a huge indoor mall to the west (maybe 30 years ago). Then a huge strip mall across the street. Then somehow, they must have put sewer and water under the interstate 41 because Walmart supercenter popped up.:eek: killed Main Street shops.
    Welllll, they've just about plowed under the huge indoor mall. Something else to rival Walmart was supposed to go in but hasn't in a couple of years. Several fast food places are along the road frontage, in the meantime.
    The places here that seem to be doing the best are still Walmart and a diy building supply store.
    People still eat out a lot. I think that is where most of their money goes.
    It seems, through the years, this is starting to remind me of imagining my being in the movie Time Machine--just in slow motion in my head.
    Old, familiar, build up, tear down, build up more...

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I think it's a combination of politicians & developers/businesses keeping the Gravy Train going, and the public tiring of one thing and seeking out the new. Dunno know if one's the horse and one's the cart, or if they are equally causal.

Regarding Walmart killing local businesses: decades ago when this subject first came up, I read an article in Smithsonian Magazine of all places that made a case for the opposite. It said that lots of existing businesses sort of laid down and let it happen, while others took advantage of the draw to their area that Walmart provided, changed their business model and thrived. I don't recall if the article stated whether success/failure fell along specific store types (food, clothing, hardware, etc.) The Walmart near me opened in 2008, 2 years before I moved here. At first there was just Walmart and Lowes. That area has continuously expanded. Now there are a ton of businesses (a bunch of eateries, a couple of auto parts stores, a couple of dollar-type stores, a 24 hour gym, a Verizon store, etc.) I don't know if there were any existing stores that got shoved out when Walmart was first built.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Shopping malls killed local stores, and online shopping is killing shopping malls. This leaves an opening for neighborhood stores operated by people willing and able to offer the personalized service that people are looking for.

7. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Yvonne, we used to do most of our shopping at the farmers markets who had a butcher shop plus all the vegetables you could want. Also had local butchers who sold meat. I liked going there as a child then later young adult. I see some are coming back now.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  8. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I never thought about it, but this is true, good post John.