Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Tim Burr, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

I like football.

Pro, College, High School, you name it.

Super Bowl LII will be my last shot for 78 days, when my
    Nebraska Huskers Spring Game happens on April 20th.

Of course I have favorite teams, but with the SuperBowl, you can
    watch it from a different perspective.

Over the years, we ( wife and I ) have paired back how we watch
    the Super Bowl.

Just a few friends over now, with plenty to eat and a good mix of
    those glued to every play, to those who just enjoying the event.
    A good excuse to break up the 'winter blues' and have friend over.

Some of my best Superbowls were the ones we watched at the NCO club
    in the Uk.
    Those games started around 11 pm and ran to about 3:30 am. (local time )
    We sometimes had that Monday off, but not always.

Eagles or Patriots, here's hoping for a competitive and safe game.

Babs Hunt and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I doubt I'll watch since I'm not one bit interested in either team but if I had to choose ..I'd say I hope the Eagles win. :)

3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Although none of my favorite teams are playing in the Super Bowl this year we will be watching it too.

Super Bowl is not just about our favorite teams competing against each other. For us it is a time of togetherness and good food to share as we watch the Season come to an end.

This season was a little different with some teams expressing their personal feelings on subjects I felt should have been aired off the field instead of on. Yet I am seeing this same airing of personal feelings going on at the Grammy's, etc. and wherever there are big crowds and media attention. It's like everyone has decided to finally open their mouths and speak up for the causes they do or do not believe in. I'm glad people are speaking up for what they believe, just not to sure about the places they are speaking it.

Super Bowl Sunday is a tradition here in America and in alot of American families. It is for us and even if none of our favorite teams are playing in it this year...we still are going to enjoy the game and the family togetherness and good food. :)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'd watch too if I wasn't alone and at my daughter's house this year but I'm not...I may make some hot wings though for myself as a treat since I love them and never eat them. :)

I also agree about speaking up but not where they're being paid to be doing something else.

5. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

No no no no no! It's all about The Puppy (and more importantly) The Kitten Bowl. I'm working Sunday but will be anxious to turn the TV on and watch when I get home.

Babs Hunt and Chrissy Cross like this.
  6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

i read the local paper this Sunday morning as I usually do, scanning each section. If something catches my attention or generates a spark of interest I usually read the article. What sparked my interest this morning and fueled this comment is our sports page. My roommate asked what time the super bowl came on today and did I want to watch it? I thought the local sports pages would be the fastest, most convenient way of finding when the game was to be played.

Our sport pages consist of eight pages of sports, mostly basketball, a game in which I have little to no interest. Norman is a sports minded town, having two high schools, a sports minded university whose football team is often mentenioned even in the off-season. I find it unusual, maybe highly so, that in the entire sport pages there is no mention of the super bowl. One of the biggest events of the sporting world is not even mentioned.

I went online and asked my friend Google about the super bowl and was given my answers almost immediately. I do not intend to watch the super bowl. My interest in football has greatly waned over the past few years but I do have a preference in the outcome. I hope the Eagles win.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I think it starts at 3:30 pm here on the west coast. Think it's 5:30 pm central time.

I want the Eagles to win also but I think the Patriots will. :(

I did read Pink might be sick with the flu and that some Eagles players aren't well either....but...who knows.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

We were going to be going over to my daughter's home to watch the Super Bowl until I found out it didn't start until 5:30pm over here. That's almost my bed time and since I'm not going to drive home in the dark when it's over we are staying home and watching it. I'll probably just see the first quarter if the game is exciting but since none of my favorite teams are playing it really won't matter to me if I miss most of it or not.

I did cook ribs, shrimp, and marinated chicken breasts with sides of cheesy bacon mashed potatoes and baked beans to eat in celebration of the Super Bowl... but that's about all the excitement I can muster up today. :)

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't blame you, @Babs Hunt.

Like I said...I'll watch the beginning mainly to see how the National Anthem is bungled...I doubt I can even last til halftime. :)

I'm the same with driving at night too. My daughter knows even when I'm babysitting that she has to find other plans if a grandson has a nighttime activity. I did go to his basketball game and it was dark but it was at the bottom of their neighborhood.

I won't risk my life let alone my grandsons....

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

It's not just the driving because most places I would have to go really aren't that far...and I can always have one of my daughter's pick me up and bring me home too. I just can't stay awake very late anymore so night things are just not working for me anymore.

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm the same. It's very difficult at my son's because they eat dinner so late...I just can't do it...I'll save my dinner for lunch the next day when I'm there.

My kids know me and do try to do things more on my time schedule but not always possible.

12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

It's almost like we are twins in some ways Chrissy. My kids eat to late too and I always bring a plate home to eat the next day for lunch too. :)

And my kids are the same way about trying to do things on my time schedule when possible. Sometimes it makes me kind of sad that so many of the grandkids activities are at night now and I just can't attend them. But my grandkids are real good about understanding that's the way things are now and we still have enough things in the earlier hours to where it's okay for all of us.

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yep, we do have many similarities @Babs Hunt. :)

Babs Hunt likes this.
  14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I saw a commercial on the Puppy Bowl this morning and it really looked like it would be fun to watch @Kitty Carmel. But we don't have cable or dish, etc. so we don't get the Animal Planet channel and I hate when they advertise something interesting on the channels we don't get...on the channels we do get. :)

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Well, I think Pink did a great job of the National Anthem....in my opinion. :)