Sunlight And Moonlight Differences.

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Yvonne Smith, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We all know that sunlight is hot, or at least, it is warm. If you stand in the shade on a hot day, then it is cooler in the shade than it was in the sunlight.
    Moonlight is supposed to be the sunlight reflecting off of the moon, but the light from the moon has different properties than light from the sun.
    People have started doing research on the moon, and one of the interesting discoveries is that moonlight is actually a cool-producing light.
    If you have an object laying in the moonlight, and then shade part of it with a cardboard box or other object, and then use one of the digital thermometers to test the temperature; you will find that the temperature is a bit cooler in the moonlight than in the shaded area.
    There are several videos from people who have done tests on the temperature of moonlight, some of them are very short, and some are a half hour or more. I am just posting a very short one that gives you the idea of how it works; but if you want to look, there are some much more technical ones.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I "sunbathe" in the moon's light. It's definitely cooler. :) On the serious side though that's very interesting to know @Yvonne Smith. You are increasing my Science knowledge.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Interesting news about the Moon. It's nice to know that the Moon had a temperature at all for last night here in Hawaii it was so cool. I often look at the Moon at night in my backyard. It's a thing Mom and I do together. We'd take a break from the television and look up at the Moon. Super Moons are so delightful. You don't need the outside light too when the Super Moon is in the sky! Thanks for the info!

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

"If you have an object laying in the moonlight, and then shade part of it with a cardboard box or other object, and then use one of the digital thermometers to test the temperature; you will find that the temperature is a bit cooler in the moonlight than in the shaded area. "

I would think that that would be because the warmth would not radiate from the covered object rather than that the moonlight cooled the uncovered object.

5. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I had a interesting thing with moon light in this country rainbows are common even doubles and three but a little rarer. One night I went out and saw a rainbow at night it was caused by moon light the only difference it was just different shades of gray and could not make out the colors. It was the only one I have ever seen.