Sunday Morning Coming Down

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Bill Boggs, May 6, 2018.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Up early this morning feeling good. Played my harmonica's for the first time in weeks. Started out with a Db playing a verse of Amazing Grace. With a D played, 'Further Along,' Silent Night with an Eb, If We Never Meet Again with an E key. The second position on an F key is C and I used that on 'Tight Fitting Jeans'. On G, I played, 'It Takes A Worried Man To Sing A Worried Song,' and I messed around with the G key on several other bluesy songs I couldn't remember the names, maybe a mixture of Ray Charles for I thought I could hear his piano way in the background. I like Ab and I used it to play around with 'I'd love To Lay You Down.' The song has a good melody.

I didn't play much with the A key. One key seems slightly out of tune or the beginning of metal fatigue. I don't know. I've cleaned it twice before I got ill. It doesn't sound quite right. I need to replace it. The A key has always been my go to harp. I like the sound and my favorite key if I had one. I tried Jambalaya with the A harp. It definately needs replacing. Bb flat sounds good on anything. It's a favorite of Blues harpers and while I don't have the wind to play much blues because there's more draw notes, it's a harp I work on my streathening my diaphragm. I love it's sound. I need to replace my C harp. Straight harp just doesn't sound right and second position that plays G, there's a delay in a couple of draw notes. It's why professional players use custom made harps.

All my harps are Suzuki or Lee Osker's. I've tried everybodies. I don't have a B harp or an F#. but that's because I keep my harps in an old Royal Jamaica Cigar box and it only holds ten. I used to smoke Royal Jamaica's and this box is the last box I bought back in the nineties. They were a fine smoke and only cigar smokers could appreciate that I suppose. When I'm up to par, I play harmonicas mostly one day a week and that's always Sunday morning. I start out out with religious songs because they are easier for me to play; I know them better having grown up with some of the old church songbooks.

Sometime I listen to the mountain music coming out of West Virginia and play along. Other times I turn to Louisiana. There's a great mixture of musical sound down there. I can't handle Jazz. That's another something else. I've tried to play some of the Mexican music, tried making my harmonica sound like an accordian. The best I can do is Gene Autry's, 'South of the Bordor, down Mejico way.

This is what Sunday Morning coming down is at my house. I hope you've had a pleasant day so far.

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Glad to hear that you are well enough to "do your thing"!

3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

You must be feeling better @Bill Boggs...glad to hear this good news. :)