Summertime Memories

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Sir Walter Pasty, May 13, 2019.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember sitting down on a newly tarred road in my best sunday dress, I was probably about 4, oooooh the outcry!!!!!

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I filled one summer holiday on my 'rite of passage' UK/European working holiday by touring Greece and Germany. Started off badly when we had our suitcases stolen in Genoa and then our big end went on our way to Rome. So it was whatever transport and on foot for us after that. I recall walking to Portofino.. and overlooking the Mediterranean.. breathtaking. Luck shone on us soon after when we hitched a ride with a German couple who were heading for Greece .. we camped on a nudist beach on Corfo for a week..sipping ouzo, dipping in the clear, clean Med and partying. Wild and fun days that summer.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I love Corfu... but I won't go back for the same reason I won't go back to Kos, or Rhodes!! Cats everywhere..... !! Ugh!!

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

The next summer we decided to see some of England and Scotland so we purchased a Combi van kitted it out ..four of us.. two men two women.. all Aussies. Everything went fine for the first two days but on the third day just outside of Aberdeen the big end went. My second holiday spoilt by the failings of the internal combustion engine.. and the second big end too. As we found ourselves short of sufficient funds as all our money was tired up in the Combi, we were forced to hitch back to London. I slept on straw in a barn the two nites before arriving back.. miserable and rather angry that our expected enjoyable driving holiday ended a dud.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I found an old postcard of Fayette that I had. It was a good place for three twelve-year-olds to camp out for a few days. All of the buildings were open, and only one family came there by car while we were there, so we had the place to ourselves.

fayettemi-1000.jpg