Summer Time Meals

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Joyce Mcgregor, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Joyce Mcgregor

Joyce Mcgregor Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks for all of the good ideas for summer meals. In a pinch, I have used canned potatoes to make potato salad in the summer time and it comes out pretty good. I look for no cook and little cooking meals in the summer time because I live in hot and humid north Alabama and on my SS check I cannot afford to run my air conditioning. So easy no cook, little cook, or crock pot meals are right up my alley.

2. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

fruit tray and veggie tray! Those are some of my favorites. Raw fresh vegetables with some ranch dip! And a round loaf of Hawaiin bread, with the center cut out and a bowl of spinach dip in the middle. Dip the bread and its heaven!

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:I buy ready made food at Safeway $5 Fridays! It's so cheap and so easy. They got chicken tenders, dark mead fried chicken, meatloaf and other delicious things that is very tasty. I love Safeway's chicken tenders! There's vegetables in packages you can eat with can tuna or deli meats and cheese. How about cottage cheese and crackers with veggies? There's frozen veggies you can just microwave and open the package and devour with flavors of cheese or other flavors?

4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

The warm/hot weather seems to last forever here, so I really only do heavy cooking in the Winter, unless I get a craving at other times. I do eat a lot of salads, and light sandwiches, which are sometimes open faced. I cook and eat a lot of eggs in the warmer weather, since they cook so fast, and on the stove top, rather than the oven. I eat a lot of popsicles and other ice-type cold treats, as well as fresh fruit and vegetables. I often eat the carrots and peppers raw, so that's also less cooking, and doesn't heat up the house. Tuna and peanut butter are often my go to sandwiches in the summer, and as mentioned above, I sometimes will just eat a cup of cereal with milk.