Summer Time Meals

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Joyce Mcgregor, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Joyce Mcgregor

Joyce Mcgregor Veteran Member
    Registered

I am wondering what everyone prepares for meals in the summertime that will not heat up the kitchen/house. I am tired of sandwiches, barbqing, salads, ect. Although some new sandwich and salad ideas would be great. I like to use my crockpot/slow cooker a lot and some new thoughts using that would be welcomed. I also use my microwave and toaster oven a lot. Just anything different and easy is what I am looking for.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Allison Schuck

Allison Schuck Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi Joyce. I think you are the gal who likes rice. I can make so many meals with rice. Quick ones. I usually have my ricer on keeping warm most of the day.

I can spoon some on to a plate (I eat small amounts now) as I am too fat.

Put any of the following over it.....

Canned salmon with the juice
    Some mushroom soup with big slices of fried fresh mushrooms
    A fried egg, or a couple boiled ones
    Beans, of any kind
    Lots of cut up fruits
    Sliced tomato and chopped green onion
    A boiled chicken leg (yum, I love boiled chicken leg)
    About 10 stalks of asparagus
    Any vegetable you happen to have left over
    Sardines and green olives
    I buy cooked Italian sausage from the Deli.....chop it up over the rice and add a veggie
    Chilli con carne in can (over rice) if I am desperate.

3. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I try to make quick meals using beans and rice and a salad. I like to have broccoli and rice and cheese along with sliced tomatoes as a quick meal also.

4. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

cold sandwiches, BLTs, pasta salad, spinach leaves salad, even cereal some nights. Anything that doesn't require a lot of cooking, and doesn't need to be warm or hot to eat.

5. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

Salads, salads, salads! My wife and I are crazy about salads, especially during the summer. They don't require any cooking, therefore they don't heat up the (already hot as inferno in our case) house, and they not only are delicious, but also healthy! My wife prefers a tuna salad, while I enjoy a tomato and cheese one.

6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree with @John Donovan, salad is easy to make and you don't labor in the heat of the stove. However, the best salad for me is potato salad so you still have to boil the potatoes, hahahaaa. But for real meals, we turn to seafood. Crabs are very easy to cook and quick too. We just steam the crab for 10 to 15 minutes depending on the size of the crabs. For prawns, steaming takes 10 minutes at the most. What makes the seafood delicious is the dip. My best bet is lemon butter. So easy to prepare although a bit expensive.

Jennifer Graves and John Donovan like this.
  7. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

Do you really have to boil the potatoes? Can't you eat them raw? :p
    Jokes aside, potato salad is also delicious, but my wife doesn't make it that often, as we're trying to eat raw vegetables when we eat salads.

8. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

In the summer we have fresh veggies from the garden, the rest of the year we have canned or frozen veggies from the garden. Other than more salads our cooking isn't much different in the summer.

9. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

10. Helene Lawson

Registered

11. Helene Lawson

Registered

12. Jennifer Graves

Registered

I am trying to learn how to make potato salad. I never made it before this year. And every recipe I have tried is just a bit off. How do you make yours, over there?

13. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

This is how I make potato salad. A recipe that I inherited from my mother-in-law.

Ingredients: Potatoes, bacon, mayonnaise, ketchup, tabasco or black pepper, sugar, pickled cucumber relish, walnut

Procedure: Cut into cubes the boiled potato. In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise and tabasco (or black pepper) before mixing the sugar. After some stirring, include the relish in the mixture together with the walnut. Lastly, pour the mixture into the bowl of cubed potatoes. Carefully mix it. Carefully because you might ruin the texture of the potato.

14. Jennifer Graves

Registered

oooohhhh, that sounds good! This is the first recipe I've seen with boiled egg in it. Well, other than German potato salad, and I don't make that. The walnuts are especially exciting. I had a best friend. The shyest guy in the world, but once he would start talking to you he was great! So funny. He was from the Philippines. His dad died when he was 12, so he came over here to live with his mom, (also from the Philippines). I invited him to our potlucks, once or twice a month. And his mom would cook some authentic Filipino food. It got to the point that everyone was asking, "Is Eric going to be here for this one?" The food was insanely good! So any Filipino recipe I can get my hands on, is going straight to my cookbook.Thank you!! I'll let you know if it works out. I never underestimate my ability to screw things up, lol

15. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I saw this list yesterday of 31 crock pot meals and I have to say that some of these sound really delicious. I love the idea of a slow cooker especially in the fall because I have so much work to do outside to get ready for winter. I don't think I would use one in the home while we were away at work. here is the pdf with all the recipes. https://newleafwellness.biz/wp-cont...crockpot-freezer-meals-for-back-to-school.pdf

I also really like fruit so we have many of the summer meals with a side of some sort of fruit, greens and then a meat choice ( or fish) but I know what you mean about heating up the house, I hate that after working all day because we have no A/C. I try if I can to only cook one meal that will heat the house up like that, I just try to cook enough to last a few days. Tonight it will be a small round roast with veggies. maybe that can stretch till Wednesday. I have lunch meats and stuff for in between meals. the market yesterday had a ton of yummy veggies and fruit.